This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Proceedure

I am a paid customer. When upgrading DVDFab do I uninstall the old version before installing the new, or do I install new version over the old?
    Thanks

Just install the new over the old. Your preferences and settings will be preserved. If you uninstall first, they won't. The only exception is at major version changes, e.g. v4 to v5, v5 to v6 etc. where you have to manually uninstall the older version (if you don't want to keep it).
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply. You mentioned manual uninstall for major version upgrades. Does this mean not using the uninstall feature built into the DVDfab program, and thus doing a clean uninstall, or can I use the DVDfab uninstall option built into the program?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        Just install the new over the old. Your preferences and settings will be preserved. If you uninstall first, they won't. The only exception is at major version changes, e.g. v4 to v5, v5 to v6 etc. where you have to manually uninstall the older version (if you don't want to keep it).
        Hi Signals,
        Just to clarify the above:

* Minor version - install new version over old version in the same directory. Thus, retaining my registration code.

* Major version - uninstall, using the uninstall option to delete all the programs etc in the respective directory. Then install the new version. What about the registration code?. Do I copy and paste my current registration on the new version?.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comment

Hopefully, this will clarify questions for both of you.

As signals said, you don't have to uninstall when upgrading to a major version. You can if you wish.
          Fab 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x and 6.x are separate and distinct apps and are installed in their own respective folders.
          They will run independently of one another.

Yes, simply use the uninstaller included with Fab.

Again, for simple updates, just install the new version right on top.
          Most of us old timers archive the installers in the rare event that we decide to revert to a previous version.

All major versions, ie., 3, 4, 5, 6 have their own regkeys.
          Download the regkey and keep a couple copies. Always a good idea to keep one on a outside server...for eg., gmail, etc., this way you always have a bkup.

You can also retrieve your regkey from Fengtao:

You must use the same email used during your purchase...or go through the extra steps to change it.

Hope this helps
          Last edited by maineman; 11-06-2009, 03:48 AM.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks to Super Mod maineman for answering your followup question. The only thing I would add is that if a new key is needed, it will be mentioned in the release notes and they are supplied free through an automated system.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for your clarification Maineman and Signals. I've just purchased DVDFab ver 6.1.2.5 and new to DVDFab.

Tested the program on Paramount's 2 new DVDs - Star Trek & Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Star Trek was very tricky, but manage to overcome the issue. I happy with the results.

Your prompt responses are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X