"Forced" Subtitle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other "Forced" Subtitle?

Recently, I noticed, when trying to back up a DVD, there was a "Forced" English Subtitle, in addition to the "Normal" English Subtitle. I did both for comparison and could not see any difference. Am I missing something very important here?
    I would be very grateful, if any one with such knowledge would shed some light on this.

Again, many thanks,

"Forced" means subtitles will still be displayed on your monitor or TV even if they are turned off. These would normally be displayed in scenes where characters speak another language to what the actors normally speak in through the movie.

For example, your default subtitle track might be English but it is turned off. Then a scene in the movie has a character speak in Italian, or an alien speaks like in 'Men in Black', or the elves in 'Lord of the Rings'). In most circumstances viewers won't know what the actor is saying so this is when it is "Forced" on even if it is turned off so you can understand what is spoken. So if you turn on these subtitles normally you'll see every line appear, but when it is off you'll still see the foreign language scenes regardless of the setting.

Comment

Normally, the forced subtitles are part of the main sub stream the way DVDs are currently being authored, so including the main stream that matches the language of the DVD in the copy will usually preserve them. The translations in the english versions of DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons are good examples of this.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Many thanks, folks,

Comment

Working...
        X