Aspect Ratio Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspect Ratio Question

I noticed after converting a full-screen TV show off of a DVD that the aspect ratio was smaller than I expected.

Just to see what was going on, I opened the video in VLC and looked at the Media Properties - 720x480. Then, I looked at the ripped file in question - 600x456.

So, I opened up the DVD in DVDFab and opened the Conversion Settings window. The highest frame resolution available is 600x454. The default settings in system setup are "same as source".

Is this normal? Can I not get full 720x480? I did a side-by-side comparison of the DVD and the .avi and there was a considerable difference - not horrible, but noticeable.

I know I can open the "Video Effect Settings" button and enter custom "Resize" dimensions, but I suspect that will just expand the 600x454 video. I just want to get the best quality out of this that I can.

Can anyone enlighten me?

TIA.

Try using a different profile, such as the generic xvid avi. Some of the profiles have output sizes limited by the device on which they are intended to be played. The generic ones have more choices.

A 720x480 NTSC DVD does not have active video in that size, which is an aspect ratio of 1.5:1. Try 640x480 for 1.333:1 "full screen" content and I think you will find it's pretty close to the original.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Signals.

Ok, I started from scratch. I chose "DVD to Mobile" and then "to AVI". Checked off my title. Profile reads "generic.avi.xvid.mp3. Clicked "Edit" button to the right of Profile. 600x452 is the highest resolution available. 640x480 is not listed at all. Is this what's actually on the DVD?

When I open "Video Effect Settings" and look at the "Resize" options - it says "Original Frame Resolution: 640x480 ; Source Zoom: 57% ; Output Zoom: 30% ; Output Size: 600x456".

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxy_Stranger View Post
        Thanks for the reply, Signals.

Ok, I started from scratch. I chose "DVD to Mobile" and then "to AVI". Checked off my title. Profile reads "generic.avi.xvid.mp3. Clicked "Edit" button to the right of Profile. 600x452 is the highest resolution available. 640x480 is not listed at all. Is this what's actually on the DVD?

When I open "Video Effect Settings" and look at the "Resize" options - it says "Original Frame Resolution: 640x480 ; Source Zoom: 57% ; Output Zoom: 30% ; Output Size: 600x456".
        Try to select "Custom" and enter desired frame size
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks, IPopov, I'll try that. I'm, sure it will give me the desired output size, but will it just stretch the lower resolution to get that, or will it faithfully rip to that size from the source?

Comment

It sounds like you are using an old version of DVDFab, if it is still called "DVD to Mobile". You may need to update.

I just tested the Generic xvid avi profile and several others with a 4:3 disc and 640x480 was available for all of them. That is the size you need to use if you want it the same as the DVD.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Sorry - I forgot to post my app info...

This screenshot shows v8.0.0.5 and the settings I had selected:
              http://robodoom.net/TEST1.jpg

This screenshot shows the information on the video in VLC:
              http://robodoom.net/TEST2.jpg

Signals - are you saying that 640x480 IS the resolution on the DVD?
              Last edited by Galaxy_Stranger; 10-06-2010, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks, IPopov, I'll try that. I'm, sure it will give me the desired output size, but will it just stretch the lower resolution to get that, or will it faithfully rip to that size from the source?
                All you will do is to set an original resolution, no stretch or anything. The thing is that DVDFab is trying to preserve quality of the video and keep ratio above .20
                Since you are reducing bitrate, the only way to keep the ratio (and original resolution) is to reduce size of the screen. You have to understand, that quality of output determined by more than one factor.
                To make story short, if you want bigger screen size and preserve quality, increase bitrate and keep ratio around .20 or higher.
                Please let me know if further explanation is needed.
                sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks, IPopov! That makes perfect sense. BUT - according to VLC, the bitrate of the video is 224 kb/s. DVDFab says fixed bitrate at 1632kbps. It looks like the DVDFab setting is higher than the DVD - what am I missing? And how do I set the bitrate to be the same as the source? I'm not seeing that.

Comment

Thanks, IPopov! That makes perfect sense. BUT - according to VLC, the bitrate of the video is 224 kb/s. DVDFab says fixed bitrate at 1632kbps. It looks like the DVDFab setting is higher than the DVD - what am I missing? And how do I set the bitrate to be the same as the source? I'm not seeing that.
                    OK, one Q at a time:
                    aa. Of course 224 Kbps is a bogus number... It's either miscalculation on VLC part or it's bitrate for audio. Here's my advices: (a) try this mediaplayer: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html
                    (b) Use MediaInfo for information. This is freeware utility, you will find handy - google for it.

bb. There's no way original DVD has bitrate less than 1632 Kbps. I have never seeing DVD bitrate less than 4500 Kbps. Otherwise, what's the point use DVD media - with bitrate 1500-1600 Kbps you can fit your movie on a CD.

cc. If you want preserve original parameters, use "Remux" profiles. Also, I would suggest using MKV container.
                    sigpic

Comment

The active video is 640x480, it is letterboxed to 720x480. Do not confuse DVD MPEG-2 video bitrates (usually around 5 mbps) with MPEG-4, which is what you are making (usually around 1 mbps for good quality). The 224 kbps figure in your capture was for the audio stream, not the video. The frame rate was also wrong (it is showing the NTSC field rate). Do get MediaInfo as Ipopov suggested, it will help you sort this out. I do not know why 640x480 does not appear, it should, unless you have changed some settings on the video effects page.

Your settings look fine, you might want to try a test with a higher video bitrate, say about 1800-2000 kbps and see if you can tell any difference.

Comment

OK, I got Media Player Classic ;-p

I got MediaInfo and pointed it at a .vob on the DVD. It says 2000 Kbps, 720*480. I looked at the HTML version of this info and it said: "Overall bit rate : 2 335 Kbps "

So, in DVDFab, I set Fixed Bitrate to 2335. This changed the bits/pixel. The highest frame resolution is still 600x456. When I cranked the Bitrate all the way up, it didn't affect the frame resolution at all. I also set the Framrate to "Same as source".

The video looks fine, but not nearly as good as the source does. Is this as good as it can get? I'm obviously not understanding something.

I just tried using 4000 for the fixed bitrate - the quality was definitely improved, but where can I find the exact bitrate on the DVD? I'm obviously missing it somewhere.

Also, what's the advantage of .mkv over .avi? Better compression?

Comment

You are again assuming that a given MPEG-4 bitrate is equivalent to the MPEG-2 bitrate on your original DVD, which is not the case. Do not be concerned about the bitrate on the DVD, which I also doubt is actually as low as 2335 kbps. Media info maybe reading that from something other than one of the main movie VOB files. You should not need to set the conversion bitrate so high. Try setting cropping to "automatic" on the crop tab of the video effect settings page, see if that will make 640x480 appear when you go back to the edit page.

MKV and AVI are just file containers. MKV is more versatile if your player supports it, but AVI or MP4 with h264 should work well for you. You may get an image output more to your liking with the profile and settings in the attached captures. Enable automatic cropping to see 640x480.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X