Contrast Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contrast Question

My BD backups appear to lack contrast (weak blacks) compared to the original and to backups made from a competing app. I've experienced this using two different media vendors. Is there a configuration option or something else I've overlooked?
    Last edited by gene4ht; 10-29-2010, 03:34 PM. Reason: include additional info

This is not too uncommon especially if you are compressing an entire commercially released movie to a single layer blank. A lot of picture data has to be removed to make it fit. Probably, if you ever noticed it, the colors appear washed out a bit. Like you said other software that does the same thing has the same results. One thing you can do is select main movie only, often times no compression, or very little, is required and color depth is much improved.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

You might also try a different decode setting in Common Settings->A/V Codec.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Obviously I overlooked the fact this is a BD, but the same applies going from a BD50 to BD25 I think? I don’t fool with BluRay at all, just watch them. And I sure didn’t know you can select various A/V codecs to make your backup with?
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Appreciate the quick responses...and for clarification purposes, I am compressing from BD50's to BD25's and selecting "main movie" only. Also for clarification, the other blu-ray back-up app I am using does not exhibit the same lack of contrast but result in the opposite...that is the copies have much more contrast (dark blacks) and the colors more vibrant (less muted/washed out). Are the differences in these results the differences in approches/algorithms between these applications or can they be manipulated by configuration choices? Signals: I've found the Common Settings for A/V Codec but don't understand what to change in the settings...ie from what to what? Can you clarify further? Thanks!
          Last edited by gene4ht; 10-29-2010, 11:02 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Are you using the Slow High Quality setting. Check out the attachment to see
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              Are you using the Slow High Quality setting. Check out the attachment to see
              No...I'll give it a try and report my results...thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X