Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking the gift horse in the mouth (proverbially speaking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking the gift horse in the mouth (proverbially speaking)

On the one hand with free software you get what you are given. On the other hand if it was some GNU software I wrote I would wish to be informed of things the user did not expect.

This is about DVDFab HD Decrypter.

I have been happily using Vn6 and it was updated to the last minor version available. I dipped into the main web site and fond the latest is now Vn8. It said Vn8 happily co-exists with Vn6 so I downloaded and installed.

I tried Vn8 always clicking on the HD Decrypter line in the option column and got no pop ups saying “you are trying …”. 35 days after install I first got :-
    “The <x> option is expired.
    Please buy it or renew …”
    for every icon <x> I press. My Vn6 still works fine.

I can’t find anything in the FAQ about any changes to the free version. If I have missed something I am willing to be educated. If this is a symptom of a bug I hope this is received the same way as I would with my GNU software.

Decrypter can only copy, not compress.
    人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
    Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

There have been no reductions in the capabilities of the HD Decrypter version, but a few registered users have reported similar odd things with early v8.x. I suggest that you try installing v8.0.3.1 Beta or later which seems to have corrected the problem for registered users. You may still get a trial version with the new v8, which I think you can skip if desired by clicking the Run HD Decrypter button on the welcome screen.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have updated to Vn 8.0.3.2. I am no longer “locked out” so as far as I am concerned, the thread can be closed.

The menus have appeared on different pages on the 3 invocations before this post.

It has not saved any changes to the preferences I made i.e. on the next invocation the defaults are not as saved.

The pop up is now :-
        The "DVD Copy" option is expired. You are going to use "HD Decriptor".
        For more information, please click here.

Comment

Working...
        X