Blu-ray Creator - video quality is poor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray Creator - video quality is poor

I have a movie that I'm trying to burn to BD but it doesn't look great when it's all done burning. Here's the original file...

CONTAINER: MKV
    SIZE: 17.8 GB
    VIDEO: 1280x720p H264 23.976 fps

The first time I burned it to a BD25 and what are clean lines when viewed on my computer (VLC Player) are now jaggedy lines when played back on my HDTVs. I thought it was the conversion to get it to fit (cause for some reason a 18 GB file won't fit on a 25GB disc, which boggles my mind) so I tried burning it to a BD50 and the finished BD50 looked identical in quality to the BD25. So this leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the compression but something else. I've tried this both in DVDFab 9.0.7.0 and 9.1.1.1.

Has anyone else had this happen? I wanted to burn some discs for gifts this holiday season which is two weeks away.

Originally posted by maxdefiant View Post
    I have a movie that I'm trying to burn to BD but it doesn't look great when it's all done burning. Here's the original file...

CONTAINER: MKV
    SIZE: 17.8 GB
    VIDEO: 1280x720p H264 23.976 fps

The first time I burned it to a BD25 and what are clean lines when viewed on my computer (VLC Player) are now jaggedy lines when played back on my HDTVs. I thought it was the conversion to get it to fit (cause for some reason a 18 GB file won't fit on a 25GB disc, which boggles my mind) so I tried burning it to a BD50 and the finished BD50 looked identical in quality to the BD25. So this leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the compression but something else. I've tried this both in DVDFab 9.0.7.0 and 9.1.1.1.

Has anyone else had this happen? I wanted to burn some discs for gifts this holiday season which is two weeks away.
    I have a similar question about burning some MP4 episodes, which were originally recorded in 1080p quality. I get the "jaggies" as well on the finished Blu-ray disc. on which I saved 3 of the 30-minute episodes. Blu-ray Creator should not have had to do any compression, since the total of the 3 MP4 files was only 9 GB. But yet the resulting Blu-ray disc was of lower quality than the original MP4 files.

I noticed that there is an option to do "slow" encoding with higher quality. Has anyone tried this option and gotten better results with Blu-ray Creator?

Comment

Jagged edges are often caused by improper processing of interlaced content. Check your source files with MediaInfo (free).
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        Jagged edges are often caused by improper processing of interlaced content. Check your source files with MediaInfo (free).
        Thank you for the information. However, when I play the source files (1080p MP4s) with VLC on my 60-inch 1080p TV screen, they do not show the jaggies. It's only after processing the MP4s with DVDFab Blu-ray Creator, and then playing the resulting Blu-ray folder, also with VLC on my 60 inch TV, that I get the jaggies. That's why I think it is something DVDFab is doing, or maybe I need to change the settings for Blu-ray Creator.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by DVDjunky View Post
          Thank you for the information. However, when I play the source files (1080p MP4s) with VLC on my 60-inch 1080p TV screen, they do not show the jaggies. It's only after processing the MP4s with DVDFab Blu-ray Creator, and then playing the resulting Blu-ray folder, also with VLC on my 60 inch TV, that I get the jaggies. That's why I think it is something DVDFab is doing, or maybe I need to change the settings for Blu-ray Creator.

Any ideas?
          Upload a source info by mediainfo. And try converted it in converter and play in vlc.
          It is maybe happend in some special source with defferents parameters.
          User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
          For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
          For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
          For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Are source files being downscaled to SD before being burned to the bluray?

I observe the same problem as the original poster. I tried to create a BluRay of a home movie from a hi-def mp4 file. The source file was 24p, not interlaced. The result had pixelation--looks like it is SD quality, as if content was downscaled to SD first and then the SD was upscaled back to HD. Jagged edges are very evident because the home video is of an orchestra and the violin bows are jagged (meaning they look like they are made of cubes lined up in a diagonal, not that they have horizontal hash lines from interlacing). This was done using the latest version of DVDFab just downloaded this week.

So, I made a BluRay from the same source mp4 file using the MultiAVCHD program and it looked perfect. However I don't prefer using that program because it is complicated and I often make mistakes in all the different configuration options causing coasters. DVDFab always works perfectly but creates a very poor picture BluRay.

I hope you can fix the problem whether it is bad choices in the transcoder parameters, or just a poor transcoder, or whatever. Thanks!
            Last edited by max.db; 03-27-2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

As requested, please analyze the source with the jagged violin bows using MediaInfo and post or attach the results here. This was originally requested by me in December and no one has supplied it.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
              X