'Fit to Disk' -- how does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Fit to Disk' -- how does it work?

I have several files that are too big to fit onto DL DVDs. I have been trying to shrink them, but so far have not been successful (they are both 3-hour movies). I recently discovered the option to 'Fit to disk' and tried running it (after several "File is too big to fit on disk" warnings). The program starts and runs perfectly until it gets about 98% complete, and then it stops. No error messages. The program is not frozen, it simply sits there with 0:00:00 on the clock. The controls are still responsive. What I want to know is how this feature works, and how I'm supposed to use it. Does the Creator program figure out how to write a version that's smaller than the disk capacity or at least the same size? Do I simply have to wait until the program decides that it has completed the file, giving no sign that it's still working? Can anyone explain how 'Fit to disk' works?

oops -- forgot to say that the program gets 98% of the way through the number-crunching part before it stops. It never gets to the section where it's writing to the DVD.

Comment

Please supply the DVDFab internal log session for one of these that just stops. Attach the log to a post as outlined here: https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...532#post263532

It works by compressing the video, just like DVD Copy.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Fortunately I had already saved an example of the session that failed, and noted that there is no reference to the DVD drive at all. I have read a few successful sessions in the log, and have noticed some obvious differences.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LanceG View Post
          Fortunately I had already saved an example of the session that failed, and noted that there is no reference to the DVD drive at all. I have read a few successful sessions in the log, and have noticed some obvious differences.
          Please do not tick the "Fit to disk" option , and then convert the same file D:\Downloads\Movies\Malcom X (1992)\Malcolm.X.1992.720p.BrRip.x264.BOKUTOX.YIFY .mp4 to DVD, but save the output as folder or iso file on your hard drive and see if the process can go through or not.

Comment

I ran Creator and saved the output to a DVD folder instead of to a disk. "Fit to Disk" was disabled. At about 98% complete, the Time Left began INCREASING and the Encoding FPS began DECREASING. When the program stopped, the program had not completed -- it still shows 98% complete.

It sounds like the DVD drive itself is not at fault. When I played the final VOB file, it stopped before the credits were fully completed. In other words, the entire movie was not saved.

Comment

Here's the dvdfab_internal file from the attempt on 4-20 to burn the mp4 file to DVD.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LanceG View Post
                Here's the dvdfab_internal file from the attempt on 4-20 to burn the mp4 file to DVD.
                Please kindly send us that mp4 video to help check the issue. I've sent you FTP info to upload the file, please check PM. Thank you.

Comment

I find the dvdshrink (free) is the best. Compression and quality is good. It's what I use to shrink down video.

Comment

Working...
                  X