This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning-Recoding technology question

Are there any side effects (drawbacks, trade-offs) to enabling Lightning-Recoding technology? Any reduced quality (motion artifacts, jitter, etc.)?
    I am one of the few who would rather have slower rendering, but highest quality. I've always used "software only" and Slow Speed / High Quality. And rendering speed has never been an issue for me.
    I see that using this new technology is an option. If there are no side effects to using this technology, why would anyone elect to unselect this option box for slower rendering? If there are no side effects, why isn't this technology simply incorporated into normal rendering?
    Thanks.

i would like to know as well?

Comment

The tech internal of Lightning-Recoding is: it saves reusable info like motion vectors at decoder, and use it at encoder directly to speed up encoding. In most cases, the quality is as good as normal encoder, since original info is the best mostly.
      DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
      http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Thanks Fengtao so much for explanation. By the way, I've been a loyal user for many years and I admire your product and dedication.
        Not to parse words too much, but when I read:
        "In MOST CASES, the quality is as good"
        and
        "original info is the best MOSTLY" (my emphasis)
        I read:
        "There will be mostly no side effects, just occasionally some".
        Thus, for me, happy customer with previous rendering speed, the best option would be to disable "Lightning-Recoding" for best quality.
        For a customer who was unhappy with previous rendering speed, "Lightning-Recoding" at mostly same quality (but occasionally less) would be a good choice.
        Is this the correct decision making flowchart?
        Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Comment

I think it depends on the quality of the encoding of the original content as to whether the output "quality" is subjectively judged to be better or worse with this enabled. In some cases, it is possible that this feature may be not only faster but better as well. There can be no absolutes if each original is different.

.....I see that using this new technology is an option. If there are no side effects to using this technology, why would anyone elect to unselect this option box for slower rendering? If there are no side effects, why isn't this technology simply incorporated into normal rendering?
          Because it continues to embody the DVDFab tradition of giving the user control over the software's operation.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi ccris,

If you don't mind the processing time, you can disable Lightning-Recoding.

I strongly suggest you try both options on one of your favorite movies to see if there is difference.

Best Regards,
            Fengtao
            DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
            http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

I'm using 8061 and can't find a button for lightning recode doh!can someone point me in the right direction Thanks

Comment

charlie
                Please Open Fab click the Click the Green at top right corner of the DVDFab screen, and open Common Settings > General >A/V Codec halfway down the page.
                CBR929
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks

Comment

No problem
                    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Any comments on quality of backup using this new feature guys.

Comment

Since I'm just ripping the main movie with one audio, my quality setting for a BD-25 is usually not below 80%, so I don't know if I can compete in your question

But so far I noticed no issues through Lightning-Recording.

Comment

Forget it !!!!!!!!!!

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!

I just got some very strange result with Lightning-Recoding.

Movie: León (Director's Cut)

- grabbed full disc (100%) with DVDFab
                          - ripped the main movie with xxxx
                          - resized the main movie to BD-25 with DVDFab + Lightning

Now when playing with VLC, the video stutters ... looks totally ill ... I guess something wrong with those motion stuff which is stored in the movie (which is used by Lightning-Recoding).

When burning to disc and playing with PowerDVD, it stutters just very light, but still it's noticeable that playback is not ok.

When playing the disc on a standalone Blu-ray player via HDMI on a Full-HD television it looks normal.

I'm resizing to BD-25 with DVDFab for quite a while, but such a strange stuttering never happened before. So I must think that Lightning-Recoding is the cause. I won't use it until this is fixed.
                          Last edited by AGJ; 12-21-2010, 12:49 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

And it's not my computer or something ... when playing with VLC, about 60% CPU are idle.

I will rip the movie this night again without Lightning-Recoding and report.

I checked the other two rips again which I did with Lightning-Recoding, but they really seem ok. Maybe it depends on the compression ratio? But when converting Leon 2 Directors Cut Main Movie to BD-25 it's still 85% so just 15% compression...

Comment

Maybe you should use DVDFab to rip Main Movie and not that other program as we not able to support problems that may be caused by another program if used in the process

Comment

Working...
                              X