Video card upgrade to speed up DVDFab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video card upgrade to speed up DVDFab?

I have a Core i5 2.66GHz w/8GB RAM and a ATI 4350 video card for a HTPC connected to a 1080p LCD TV. I never play games and so I have never considered upgrading to a better video card. I use DVDFab to copy Blu-ray and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 5 to playback media.

After seeing recent news about DVDFab speeding up Bluray copy on NVidia CUDA, I have two questions:

(a) Is ATI Stream not supported?

(b) Will I see a significant benefit in terms of bluray copy speed if I upgrade my video card to something like GT 450 (Fermi) or HD 5670, if ATI stream is supported on question (a) above.

ATI streams not currently supported.

The speed increase can be significant, especially if you are compressing or converting from a HDD Source.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Is there any compression or conversion involved in copying a blu-ray from disk to the hard drive (BD 50 full size)? Or does it benefit only when compression has been selected.

Originally posted by signals View Post
      ATI streams not currently supported.

The speed increase can be significant, especially if you are compressing or converting from a HDD Source.

Comment

I would highly suggest, if you plan on compressing, to rip the full disk to your hard drive first, then compress from hard drive to hard drive, as it will save wear and tear on your burner and will most of the time go faster this way.
        SPECS
        DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
        SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

This is a very good topic and something I wish I had known before I built my system. I would have most definitely picked up a Nvidia card instead of my Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit video card, but it's sufficient. I can compress a 40-50GB Blu-ray disc with 53% compression just shy of 2 hours. Not bad at all. Oh, I'm running an Intel i7 950 3.07GHz Quad Core with 64-Bit Windows 7 with 12GB of DDR3 Corsair XMS3 RAM.
          Last edited by SuperFist; 02-03-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I still looking for a clear answer to my question. Will the CUDA acceleration benefit me if all I do is perform a full BD copy to the hard drive with no compression whatsoever (BD 50 profile)?

Originally posted by vvume View Post
            Is there any compression or conversion involved in copying a blu-ray from disk to the hard drive (BD 50 full size)? Or does it benefit only when compression has been selected.

Comment

Originally posted by vvume View Post
              I still looking for a clear answer to my question. Will the CUDA acceleration benefit me if all I do is perform a full BD copy to the hard drive with no compression whatsoever (BD 50 profile)?
              Yes, you will realize some benefit, but to a lesser extent than when compressing or converting as discussed above.

What kind of times are you seeing now?

Honestly, since you have no plans to compress/convert, it's probably not worth the cost, but this is totally a shot from the hip
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I am roughly seeing 40-60 mins per blu-ray on most discs. Some blu-rays take as much as 4 hours (I think Takers was one of them. Cinavia protection causing this perhaps?)

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                Yes, you will realize some benefit, but to a lesser extent than when compressing or converting as discussed above.

What kind of times are you seeing now?

Honestly, since you have no plans to compress/convert, it's probably not worth the cost, but this is totally a shot from the hip

Comment

After getting a 460 GTX

I finally bought a 460 GTX and didn't see much, if any improvement in BD copy speeds when not using a compression profile. FYI, in case you were planning on upgrading the graphics card and expecting it to speed up bluray copy when not compressing.

Bluray discs with cinavia protection copy very slowly for me, down to 3-5 MB/s compared to the 9-14MB/s for discs without it.

Comment

I have 2 systems that are identical in spec but the graphic card.

CUDA does make a big difference indeed !!!!

Ripping to the HDD will not make the slightest difference as the GFX card will not be used and all depends on your drive read speed.

Now with 50gb to 25gb full disc its a different story, CUDA wins hands down for me.

Paul

Comment

I customized a AMD Phenom X6 w/16mb ram, win 7-64 and a gtx 580 video card and some blu-rays still take 4 hrs. I didnt know about the "lightning encoding" so I will see if that makes any difference.

Comment

I should have read a little further, "lightning encoding" doesn't work with CUDA.

Comment

Regarding CUDA with an Nvidia GTX460, Win7, 64-bit, I have had problems with the resulting burn "stuttering" or even freezing up multiple Blu-ray players at the same point in a disc, with a full-disk copy, using 8.0.7.3. Turning off CUDA, and using software-only encoding/decoding, fixes the problem.

For some reason, this problem has only occurred with two recent Disney titles, and only when burning to BD-RE DL disks (Memorex and Sony).

I'll see if this is fixed with future Blu-ray Copy releases, but for the moment I'm keeping CUDA turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by HRS2403 View Post
                            Regarding CUDA with an Nvidia GTX460, Win7, 64-bit, I have had problems with the resulting burn "stuttering" or even freezing up multiple Blu-ray players at the same point in a disc, with a full-disk copy, using 8.0.7.3. Turning off CUDA, and using software-only encoding/decoding, fixes the problem.

For some reason, this problem has only occurred with two recent Disney titles, and only when burning to BD-RE DL disks (Memorex and Sony).

I'll see if this is fixed with future Blu-ray Copy releases, but for the moment I'm keeping CUDA turned off.
                            I will tell you the Memorex disc are sh@t! And they aye not even memorex! They sub out to the lowest bidder!! I only use TDK BDRE 25Gb and 50GB and I never have a problem! Also make sure the disc you are backing up is clean!
                            For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                            or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                            or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

i get my bd-re from someplace in calif for a buck a piece and have not had one failure...yet. I have burnt about 25. If you are referring to the new Bambi movies the blu ray copied to hdd fine but took 2 hrs to compress to 25 gig

Comment

Working...
                              X