Plans for new Cuda Codecs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plans for new Cuda Codecs??

I was just wondering if there are plans to improve the Cuda GPU acceleration codecs and if they'll be implemented?

I have the GTX460, and depending on the movie I'm compressing the most GPU usage I ever see is maybe 20% , the average GPU usage is usually less than 15%. I know that some people are working on taking full advantage of the new Fermi architecture.

For me Cuda is definitely the quickest option. I've tried Cuda vs Lightening, coreAVC, or just Software. It's the quickest when it's CUDA/CUDA for encode/deencode. I know theres a lot of room for improvement because of the small amount of GPU usage I'm seeing. I think right now, the software is not taking full advantage of the potential of the new Cuda Fermi processors.

I'm sure they are always looking for ways to improve speed and quality, both with CUDA and software encoders. Your powerful card may only need 20% of its capacity to keep up with the demands that DVDFab makes. Also, DVDFab must also be able to work with low-end cards like mine without having a lot of user adjustments.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a user adjustment "toggle" that takes advantage of the more powerful cuda cards. It irks me to see 98% usage on 4 CPU processor cores while the GPU is coasting along at 15%. I know theres a lot more performance that can be squeezed out of the new Fermi Cuda cards. Especially in the video compression arena. Am I the only one seeing these numbers??

Comment

Originally posted by Xalky View Post
        I wouldn't mind having a user adjustment "toggle" that takes advantage of the more powerful cuda cards. It irks me to see 98% usage on 4 CPU processor cores while the GPU is coasting along at 15%. I know theres a lot more performance that can be squeezed out of the new Fermi Cuda cards. Especially in the video compression arena. Am I the only one seeing these numbers??
        What is it that irks you?? Are you trying to play crysis while compressing a movie?? I have a MB with built in video card and never had a problem!! I don't think the quality of output is gonna change!! There are not many programs out there that use all 4 cores let alone 6! As for performance what are you looking for burning speeds are not gonna change!
        For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by DiabloZoe View Post
          What is it that irks you?? Are you trying to play crysis while compressing a movie?? I have a MB with built in video card and never had a problem!! I don't think the quality of output is gonna change!! There are not many programs out there that use all 4 cores let alone 6! As for performance what are you looking for burning speeds are not gonna change!
          What irks me is that more performance can be squeezed out of this cuda trick and yet the software thats so far been written for using the Cuda GPU in this manner is still in its infancy. I'm very satisfied with the ripping and burning end of things. 20 mins to rip 25-26 gb is fine with me. 15mins to burn is also acceptable, The annoyance comes when a video has to be compressed to fit a BD25. Sometimes "main movie" has to be compressed down to 96% and that portion of the job can take 3hrs. Cuda has shaved a lot of time off already but I know it can be better. It used to take 4-5 hrs before cuda.

Comment

Don't get me wrong here. The crew at DVDFAB have always done a magnificient job at being the "latest and greatest". There's not another piece of software anywhere that even comes close.....none.

Comment

Originally posted by Xalky View Post
              What irks me is that more performance can be squeezed out of this cuda trick and yet the software thats so far been written for using the Cuda GPU in this manner is still in its infancy. I'm very satisfied with the ripping and burning end of things. 20 mins to rip 25-26 gb is fine with me. 15mins to burn is also acceptable, The annoyance comes when a video has to be compressed to fit a BD25. Sometimes "main movie" has to be compressed down to 96% and that portion of the job can take 3hrs. Cuda has shaved a lot of time off already but I know it can be better. It used to take 4-5 hrs before cuda.
              I get you but I use software for all setting because my card well sucks and its not even a card its built onto the board!! And I have not come across any movies when I rip main only that take 3hrs! But all movies are different and I'm not saying there are not movies that take 3hrs!! I'm pretty impatient and the way Fab works speed has never been in issue but thats me!!
              For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I am getting 27% gpu utilization with a 280gtx in a core 2 quad, with thruput rate about 3mb per second peaking at 4. The compression was 70% which included the HD audio. I originally tried a core 2 duo system with a Cypress 5850 but that had a thruput of about 1mb per second max (ATI codec) so I did the decoding on my GeForce system. Unaccountably, about an hour of the time shown below was idle time as the decoding stopped after about 2 hours for some reason. When I noticed it had stopped I clicked on "Pause" then on "Resume" and it picked back up.

Comment

We are working to improve CUDA on high end card, and it should be done soon, but sorry no time table for now.
                  DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                  http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
                    We are working to improve CUDA on high end card, and it should be done soon, but sorry no time table for now.
                    Thats great news. From what I've gathered it's not an easy task because the GPUs way of doing things, massive parrallel processing, is different than a CPU, I can only imagine that the learning curve for GPU coding must be pretty steep at this time.

As always, thanks for all your hard work.

Comment

Working...
                    X