Little confused on "Scanning"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little confused on "Scanning"

Whenever I put in a blu-ray or dvd to be ripped with only the main movie at 1:1 (no compression), It scans the disc.. and there's also a full scan option. I'm confused on what this is. If i'm ripping out m2ts/vob files as a whole then just remaking the ISO... what is the point of this scanning and why does it claim to affect the overall size of the finished product? There's no encoding going on with this process, so what exactly is the point of letting it finish scanning or "full scanning"?

(other program) doesn't have this scanning process and reproduces the exact same results. So i'm assuming that this is like DVDShrink's "Deep Analysis" and if your ripping 1:1 scanning isnt needed.

Correct?

Not sure if this will help with your question:
    http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12407

I've been just canceling the scan function when I'm doing Movie only. I haven't seen any issues with not using it. It does take a while for it to scan. I presume they want a good and accurate read of the disk. Specially for burning. For movie only and streaming over network, I don't think here is a need IMO. I wish there was an option to turn it off from its default operation.

Comment

I cancel it also usually and have had no problems. With certain discs it may be necessary, but not any that I've done. The "Scan" box near the bottom of the window should not appear in any of the DVD modes or in Blu-ray Ripper, only in Blu-ray Copy. I think it improves the accuracy of the compressed output size for shrinking Blu-rays when burning to disc.

As noted in the other thread, Scan and Preview should not be run at the same time.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Robears740iL View Post
        Not sure if this will help with your question:
        http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12407

I've been just canceling the scan function when I'm doing Movie only. I haven't seen any issues with not using it. It does take a while for it to scan. I presume they want a good and accurate read of the disk. Specially for burning. For movie only and streaming over network, I don't think here is a need IMO. I wish there was an option to turn it off from its default operation.
        I have noticed that if you let it scan the rate at which mb's are copied are faster then not letting it do it. I do only movie only and always let it scan no compression and all my movies are done in 30 to 37 minutes.
        For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I also never compress...at least not on the original rip.
          I also do not enable full scan option.
          Additionally, I select Fast Speed / Normal Quality for Encoding Settings.

Once Fab starts the scan, I simply click Next > Start , ie., I don't cancel nor do I wait for the scan to complete.

The quality and speed seem unaffected.

When viewed via a media player to a 42" HDTV, the resultant files are the same quality as the original BD disc...to my eyes anyway

My times are similar to Diablo's...roughly 30-40 minutes on average.

Originally posted by tyrindor View Post
          why does it claim to affect the overall size of the finished product?
          I'm confused as to why or how the file size would be altered as a function of the scan mode.
          Could it be it just appears this way because of the relative positioning of these two items in Common Settings?
          Then again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Comment

The only thing I have noticed with the scan is I have put a movie in and clicked start and noticed I was receiving 3-6mbs a sec and I stopped the process let it analyze completely and I was 15-17mbs a sec cant remember the movie but it was just recently. I just let it analyze its and extra 5-15 min but its just what I do!
            For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Working...
            X