Blu Ray Copy won't Play and Sony BDPS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu Ray Copy won't Play and Sony BDPS550

I have a registered copy of DVDFab version 8.1.3.2 and am trying to create a backup of the "Main Movie" for Star Trek IX. I am using the trial version of Blu Ray Copy. The hardware used is 2600K cpu, P8z68-V Pro MB, MSI 560TI Video Card, Sony BD-5300S Blu Ray Drive, and a Sony BDP-S550 player connected to a Sony TV via HDMI cable.

First, I copied the Blu Ray to the harddrive using the default settings in DVDFab. That seemed to go ok. The only issue was the popup box asking me to download and/or purchase the Blu Ray Copy program. I ignore it for now since I would like to make sure it will work for me before purchasing.

Next, I tried to copy the Main Movie to the harddrive and that hung at .49% complete. After much trial and tribulation I changed the A/V CODEC to use only CUDA and then it completed successfully. I guess the program was trying to access the Intel GPU but I do not have Lucid installed. Do I want it? Why did the full copy work with the Intel GPU setting turned on for H.264?

Next, I made a Blu Ray disk of the Main Movie (~93% compression) using the full copy of the Blu Ray copied to the harddrive - step one above. The burn process completed successfully and I thought I was over the finish line but... the disc could not be read by the Sony BDP-S550 player. Is this "old" player not compatible with the Movie Only disc copy created by the DVDFab/Blu Ray Copy program. The blank media I used was a Verbatim BD-R LTH Type 25 GB 6x.

I have used DVDFab to make backup copies of many DVD's and it has always worked. Can someone give me a clue on where I have gone wrong with Blu Ray Copy?
    ASRock X470 Taichi, 3900X, 2X8GB of 3200-14 Memory, NVIDIA GTX 960, SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB, 2-WD SN750's 500GB, WD Black 2TB, LG WH16NS40, Seasonic X750, EVGA CLC 280, Acer B247W 16:10, Win 10 Pro

Before I make another BD-25 coaster - I first copied the movie in BD-50 format to a hard drive. Then I used the hardrive BD-50 version to generate a BD-25 Main Movie version to another folder on a second harddrive. Now I am read to burn the BD-25 version to a disc. Do I select "Full Disc" or "Main Movie" to make the burn? It looks like I should also check the "Remove HD Audio" box in either case? Help would be appreciated.
    ASRock X470 Taichi, 3900X, 2X8GB of 3200-14 Memory, NVIDIA GTX 960, SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB, 2-WD SN750's 500GB, WD Black 2TB, LG WH16NS40, Seasonic X750, EVGA CLC 280, Acer B247W 16:10, Win 10 Pro

Comment

1. the Sony BDP-S550 is capable of playing BD-R media with blu-ray movies on it just fine.

2. do you realize that by using the trial version of DVDFab to shrink/burn your BD-R you will get a DVDFab logo stuck onto your video in the output? I'm just giving you a heads up in case you would like to keep the burned BD-R for playback beyond just testing.

3. you might consider picking up some BD-RE rewritable media for testing so you can re-use them. I picked up some Fuji BDRE media for $15 for a pack of 5. They work fine. Check EBay or Amazon if you decide to explore this.

4. I can't be much help with getting DVDFab to properly shrink/format & burn a BD-R since I use DVDFab to rip, but different programs for the shrinking and burning. Maybe others will step in and assist.

Comment

Hi Ken429
        You would use the Write Data in Blu-Ray Copy to burn to disc.
        You should have removed the HD audio before the compression to 25GB.

Those Verbatim BD-R LTH disc's are troublesome for many users.
        Make sure you burn at a slower speed and not 6X.
        You may also have better results using ImgBurn as your burn engine, it is "free" and you will find instructions on setting it up with Fab in the link in my signature.
        Remember to set up the AWS in ImgBurn and set your write speed to 1/2 the rated speed of your disc.

Hope this helps
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

+1 . . For what it is worth . . imgburn is what I use to burn BD & DVD media. It is a very reliable and superb program.

Comment

Rich86,
            Just curious, ImgBurn seems to be the burning software of choice, I got it and will learn how to use it but what software do you use to compress? Do you do the Main Movie routine to make an acceptable Blu Ray on a 25GB disc?

Comment

You cannot pop a LTH disc in and expect it to play. The FW for the player has to support it and then not every LTH disc is supported. Now if updating the FW is the case make sure it does not infect your player with Cinavia, thats a whole new ball game. As Rich suggested it would be wise to purchase some good quality BDRE for a test burn and also while using Fab as stated above in trial you will have the watermark. This is permanent on the backups you have already made. If you could please post your internal log for this burn. Its located on your C drive under documents and DVD Fab
              For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

The Sony BDP-S550 has the latest firmware/software. I have it connected to the internet and it updates whenever it gets the urge. Anyway, it is version 7.04.024 which is the latest one shown on the Sony web site. How do I tell if it likes the Verbatim discs? I did post the DVDFab logs earlier this morning to the other thread that I had going on this issue but the whole thread has disappeared - does that mean the administrator is reviewing the post? The delay is a little frustrating and that is why I got two thread going by mistake in the first place.

Comment

I also have an old BDP550 and it has never refused to play anything, but it has NEVER had a firmware update. With Sony, it really is not a good idea. They seem to use the updates to cripple the fair use functionality of their devices.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

The most recent firmware (024) for the BDP-S550 is cinavia free. It plays properly made backup copies of BDs just fine.
                    I believe you can set up DVDFab to use imgburn for burning instead of the internal DVDFab burn process.
                    Regarding media - I've been using reasonably priced inkjet printable BD-R media from Meritline (Merax which has a Ricoh internal code & Ritek) with no problems (using a Lite-On BD burner).
                    I use BD-RB to process and shrink blu-rays. It is free, but does not have the extensive capabilities of DVDFab. It does, however, do a super quality job of shrinking when set to highest quality (but it is very slow).
                    Last edited by Rich86; 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X