Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences in picture quality depending on which burning eninge or other settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences in picture quality depending on which burning eninge or other settings?

Hello all,

A question that has on my mind for some time is the picture quality of the back up copies that we make of our discs. Some of us go to considerable lengths to have TVs that are capable of displaying near-perfect images, so it makes sense to me that I make my backup copies to be the highest quality possible. I realize that to some extent picture quality may be subjective, but that is ok; I am interested in opinions even if not backed up with any science. Of course objective data would certainly be most welcome and greatly appreciated.

So, if I wish to make a backup with the absolute best picture quality what should I do? Obviously, I should burn with no compression and...?

Does the burning engine make any difference in picture qulaity? I have IMG Burn, VSO, and DVDFab Burning Engine.

I see under "Blu Ray Copy" in Common settings, the option for "Slow Speed / High Quality" and assume I should select that option for best picture quality. Any other settings or choices that I could make to end up with the best possible quality?

Thanks!

We much prefer fact over opinion here, but if you are willing to accept generalizations, I will offer a few and I'm sure others will as well.

Generally, if you copy to BD50 size the perceived video quality will not vary from the original, since DVDFab will stay in Copy mode for this process and the original files will be duplicated. This does not take into account errors introduce by burning too fast on low quality or defective blanks, just what happens while the bits are inside DVDFab.

Generally, you can compress Blu-rays far beyond what is possible with DVDs with images that retain the detail and crispness of the original. I have found this especially true of h264 encoded originals, less so if the original is MPEG-2 or VC-1. This is where the DVDFab internal settings for speed/quality tradeoffs come into play.

There is always Clone mode, which copies the original on a bit-for-bit basis (but includes all the junk and previews from the original).

The burning engine only enters the equation if it introduces errors in the burned output. I recommend either the DVDFab Burning engine or ImgBurn.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

No surprise that I agree with my pal signals.

For the most part, I stopped burning media about 2 years ago.
      While I much prefer Img for a number of reasons, to my eyes there was never any difference between VSO and Img with respect to viewing quality.
      I stopped using Nero way back when (but it did a good job) and I've never used the Fab burn engine.

I never really saw any benefit to Slow Speed/High Quality, but again, just my own personal experiences and observations.

I gave up on 2-pass in all Ripper profiles.
      No benefit to my eyes and unreliable...very problematic and many failures.

I rip quite a few BD discs and view them via media players/hdds.
      I am a huge fan of mkv.h264.audiocopy

I'm able to reduce the original by at least 50% (usually a bit more) without any loss of quality.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the interesting and informative responses!

Comment

Originally posted by Emoto View Post
          Thanks for the interesting and informative responses!
          If I may say so, this is the reason I chose this program over the competition! DVDFab's forum has the most helpful, knowledgeable people of all of the retail programs out there. They jump right on your problem and help you to solve it because they are passionate about film, home entertainment as well as this wonderful product!

Comment

What happened to the guy that I think took 3 years to convince?

I agree with Maineman. I haven't even bothered buying a Blu-Ray player. I just use Media Players and I have none of the problems associated with burning or crap like Cinivia protection.

Originally posted by maineman View Post

While I much prefer Img for a number of reasons, to my eyes there was never any difference between VSO and Img with respect to viewing quality.
            I stopped using Nero way back when (but it did a good job) and I've never used the Fab burn engine.

I never really saw any benefit to Slow Speed/High Quality, but again, just my own personal experiences and observations.

I'm able to reduce the original by at least 50% (usually a bit more) without any loss of quality.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              What happened to the guy that I think took 3 years to convince?
              What a load !!!
              You and I both know it wasn't any longer than 2 years and 11 months...

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post

Dear MAINEMAN:

Thank you very much for that recommendation concerning the "Burning Engine", for I too (though I'm an engineer, have worked in the global software vendor industry [mng'd tech & cust supt 2 yrs, headed media relations 5, then all marketing 1] -- just discovered by BE had been set to VSO -- but I was searching both DVDFab.com -- and the Forum -- for a recommendation, it was less easy to find than I would have imagined. So, I really appreciate your advice (I changed mine back to "DVDFab Burning Engine.") And, as a "Retired Moderator" I do value your recommendation. --And is Maine as pretty as the Blue Ridges were?! Thanks!

Keith!

PS May I ask you another question? (About DVDFab, but unfortunately, it's unrelated to this Forum subject thread. But, it's about the "DVD / Blu-ray Creator", but I don't want to get in trouble with the moderator for speaking about unrelated thread topics. May I give you my email?) Thanks a million, Long, long time DVDFab fan! Best regards, Keith!

Comment

Originally posted by LuvDVDFab View Post
                  Dear MAINEMAN:

Thank you very much for that recommendation concerning the "Burning Engine", for I too (though I'm an engineer, have worked in the global software vendor industry [mng'd tech & cust supt 2 yrs, headed media relations 5, then all marketing 1] -- just discovered by BE had been set to VSO -- but I was searching both DVDFab.com -- and the Forum -- for a recommendation, it was less easy to find than I would have imagined. So, I really appreciate your advice (I changed mine back to "DVDFab Burning Engine.") And, as a "Retired Moderator" I do value your recommendation. --And is Maine as pretty as the Blue Ridges were?! Thanks!

Keith!

PS May I ask you another question? (About DVDFab, but unfortunately, it's unrelated to this Forum subject thread. But, it's about the "DVD / Blu-ray Creator", but I don't want to get in trouble with the moderator for speaking about unrelated thread topics. May I give you my email?) Thanks a million, Long, long time DVDFab fan! Best regards, Keith!
                  Hi Keith,

Yep, Maine is a beautiful place. We were nestled in the woods just off the southern sea coast...gorgeous.
                  We were also blessed with an outstanding school system so it was a great place to raise a couple of kids.

I'll drop you a pm with my email,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X