Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVDfab Compatibility with GTX 600 Series Graphics Cards (EVGA GTX 660 and GTX 660ti)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDfab Compatibility with GTX 600 Series Graphics Cards (EVGA GTX 660 and GTX 660ti)

I would like to know how well DVDfab (e.g.; BR Copy to 25gb) runs/performs WRT the new NVIDIA GTX 600 series graphic cards on the market.

I have a EVGA GTX 570 cards that's bad. The card does not have a valid warranty, as I bought this off Craig's List. I want to purchase a new EVGA GTX card with similar or better capabilities (e.g.; speed), and close to the price range an new GTX 570.

I've narrowed my options to the following:
    a. GTX 660 (less expensive, but better technical specs vs price ratio)
    b. GTX 660ti (same cost as 570, but better technical specs)
    c. GTX 570 (direct replacement, best warranty)

One of the reference links I used for the above options was posted by SuperFist:
    Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
    This video card benchmark may help you out as far as narrowing down performance vs dollar value...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
    However, my current dilemma is that, I'm not sure how well the GTX 600 series graphics cards will perform or work with DVDfab. Specifically, are there are any known discrepancies with DVDfab? If not, how well will DVDfab (i.e.; BR copy to 25gb) run with either the GTX 660 or GTX 660ti cards, and on a relative scale in comparison with the GTX 570 card.

If there's no DVDfab performance compatibility issue between the 660's and 570 cards, then are there any technical specification feature (e.g. # CUDAs, clock speed, etc) that could be used as a metric(s) to gauge/compare the expected and/or relative processing speed that maybe gained using the DVDfab blu ray copy (movie to 25gb) function?

For Example: Is the number of CUDA Core in the graphics card a good relative indication to use to determine the expected gain in processing speed?
    a. GTX 660 (960 CUDA Cores)
    b. GTX 660ti (1344 CUDA Cores)
    c. GTX 570 (480 CUDA Cores)

How can I use the above relative differences in CUDAs to predict the relative gain I'll get in processing speed via the previously mentioned DVDfab BR copy process?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone using BR copy with a GTX 600 series card.

FYI: I also spend a lot of time running software from my Adobe Master Collection. The NIVIDA GTX card comes into significant use whenever I render video using Adobe Premiere Pro. Per the EVGA GTX 600 forum, there are no problems with the 600 series support my Adobe suite.

Thank you in advance,
    Gadget

Originally posted by GadgetVictim View Post
    How can I use the above relative differences in CUDAs to predict the relative gain I'll get in processing speed via the previously mentioned DVDfab BR copy process?
    There is no absolute linear relationship between the number of cores and conversion speed, but generally speaking more cores is better all else being equal. It also depends to some extent on how good the nvidia driver is for CUDA with each specific chipset. I have a 570 but I know we have users here with the 600 series including the ti, hopefully they can help you. The conversion speed is also effected by many mobo-specific vaiables (bus speeds, chipsets, memory speed etc.) that may be different for each user.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      There is no absolute linear relationship between the number of cores and conversion speed, but generally speaking more cores is better all else being equal. It also depends to some extent on how good the nvidia driver is for CUDA with each specific chipset. I have a 570 but I know we have users here with the 600 series including the ti, hopefully they can help you. The conversion speed is also effected by many mobo-specific vaiables (bus speeds, chipsets, memory speed etc.) that may be different for each user.
      Thanks Signals. I've been trying to get smarter on the differences between the design of the GTX 570 versus GTX 660ti. What I've been able to gather so far is the following:

• The GTX 570/580 uses the GF110 chip (set) called the Fermi
      • The GTX 660ti uses the GK104 chip (set) called the Kepler.
      • The consensus is that the processing power of a Kepler CUDA core is not equal to and less then the processing power of a Fermi CUDA core.
      • Therefore, base on their related CUDA cores, a GTX 660ti (1344 CUDA cores) does not have 2.8 X the processing power of the GTX 570 (480 CUDA cores).
      • There were some other conflicting posting with no full consensus that the GK104 chip was optimized for "gaming", while the GF110 better supported "calculations". This is a QUOTE from the blog: "...The full size dies (Gx100/110) of each generation are generally geared more for compute while the mid size dies (Gx104/114) are usually strictly centered around gaming performance and power optimization and thus aren't as good for compute..." . NOTE: I'm taking this with a grain of salt, as I don't see how anyone can quantify and mathematically or algorithmically differentiate between "gaming" and "calculation".

I've been checking the EVGA NIVIDIA GTX forums for DVDfab user posting. I found no DVDfab related posting from any GTX 600 series users. Hopefully, someone from this forum can provide some insight on this.

Mahalo, Gadget

Comment

Which CPU and motherboard do you have? How much ram?

Comment

Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
          Which CPU and motherboard do you have? How much ram?
          This what I have:
          - CPU: Intel i7/950 3.06GHZ (Quad Core)
          - MOBO: ASUS P6X58D Premium-LGA X58-DDR3
          - RAM: 6 GB Corsair DDR3 Dominator 1600MHZ
          - SSD: 2 ea Crucial C300 128GB in Raid0 (C-drive)
          - HDD: 2 ea Hitachi 2TB 32MB/7200rpm in Raid0 (for data)
          - GPU: *EVGA Nvidia GTX570 graphics card
          - PSU: Corsair HX850W
          *NOTE: GPU is bad. Crashes/resets PC when CUDA core invoked.

Regards, Gadget

Comment

For the amount of money you're going to spend here I would keep the video card, sell your CPU and motherboard on eBay and invest in a i7-3770K CPU and new motherboard. The Quick Sync will be faster than the video card and you'll have an all round performance boost.

Comment

hi there
              my setup video setup is 2x msi 660ti oc,
              mb is msi z77a-gd65
              32gig g.skill mem
              and i5-3570k processor,
              sandisk extreme 120g hhd

it takes like an hour to backup/clone a blueray to hhd, but you can convert an average moviem 1h to 1.5h in about 20 min with cuda. i love converting my bluray's to iphone/mp4 types with 960 x what ever vid size.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Yume View Post
                hi there
                my setup video setup is 2x msi 660ti oc,
                mb is msi z77a-gd65
                32gig g.skill mem
                and i5-3570k processor,
                sandisk extreme 120g hhd

it takes like an hour to backup/clone a blueray to hhd, but you can convert an average moviem 1h to 1.5h in about 20 min with cuda. i love converting my bluray's to iphone/mp4 types with 960 x what ever vid size.
                Thank you,
                Gadget

Comment

im posting in blue ray ripper currently, i has a bsod possibly from cuda and the now suspecting virtual drive, not acting together well. but im converting army of darkness in about 13 minutes

Comment

DVDFab 8.2.2.5 (2013/01/07 20:59:42)

0m 00.83s: GPUAccelerate: 12351
                    0m 00.84s: CUDA cap: 1
                    0m 00.84s: Support coreavc decode: 0
                    0m 00.84s: Graphics info: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti : 5.0 : 3.0
                    0m 00.84s: Qt Translator file load success
                    0m 00.86s: Load config successful.
                    0m 00.91s: Init profile data driver sucessful.
                    0m 02.40s: Init GPU settings sucessful.
                    0m 02.40s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2dvd 1 file2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
                    0m 02.41s: dvd2dvd:dvd2mobile:blu-ray2blu-ray:blu-ray2mobile:blu-ray23d:blu-ray2dvd:file2mobile:file2dvd:file2bluray:
                    0m 02.57s: Config ExBar successful.
                    0m 02.57s: dvd2dvd have 8 elements.
                    0m 02.67s: dvd2mobile have 29 elements.
                    0m 03.22s: blu-ray2blu-ray have 4 elements.
                    0m 03.24s: blu-ray2mobile have 18 elements.
                    0m 03.59s: blu-ray23d have 7 elements.
                    0m 03.70s: blu-ray2dvd have 1 elements.
                    0m 03.72s: file2mobile have 28 elements.
                    0m 04.29s: file2dvd have 0 elements.
                    0m 04.29s: file2bluray have 0 elements.
                    0m 04.56s: Config work ui controls successful.
                    0m 07.11s: Init burn engine successful.
                    0m 07.14s: StartNotify successful.
                    0m 08.69s: opening iso H:/#2 Movies/ARMY_OF_DARKNESS_SH.iso
                    0m 08.74s: got media type 15
                    0m 08.75s: got max lba 11927999
                    0m 08.78s: got disc type 20
                    0m 08.79s: type Blu-ray BDMV
                    0m 08.79s: volume label ARMY_OF_DARKNESS_SH
                    0m 08.83s: aacs 0 bd+ 0
                    0m 08.93s: Java protection is removed by StealthyClone anti-protection.
                    0m 08.93s: got discinfo
                    0m 08.95s: got bdmv
                    0m 09.32s: got extended bdinfo
                    0m 09.32s: opened blu-ray
                    0m 10.02s: WorkAttr::Init Start
                    0m 10.05s: WorkAttr::Init OK: iPhone4.mp4
                    0m 25.76s:

------ begin mobile work(1/1) ------

0m 25.77s: info: create config(5)
                    0m 25.77s: info: convert profile(iPhone4.mp4)
                    0m 25.77s: info: bluray playlist(0),angle(0),chapter(1->17),3D(0)
                    0m 25.77s: info: streams((4113.2)(4352.2))
                    0m 25.77s: info: not set correct fourcc for video(28)
                    0m 25.77s: info: set output video frame_rate(24000/1001)
                    0m 25.78s: try to use gpu acceleration(1) for video decoding
                    0m 25.78s: CUDA GPU acceleration for video decoding enabled
                    0m 25.78s: CUDA GPU acceleration for video encoding enabled
                    0m 25.79s: info: h264_encode: encode param profile(1) level(31) bitrate(1796)
                    0m 25.89s: info: processing source(00010.m2ts)
                    14m 12.45s:

------ finish mobile work ------

please note that was bd-ripper, but i get simular speeds with bd25, and dvd9 compressions of bluray usually, i just been having loads of fun converting stuff to mp4/m4v for our new living room media player so we dont need the disc to play main movies

Comment

Working...
                    X