Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does Compressed BR Look On 10' Projector Screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Does Compressed BR Look On 10' Projector Screen?

With the cost of BR-50 blanks I'm curious to know how compressed BR movies generally look on a BR-25 and a 10' projector screen (fuzzy, sharp, etc.)?

Thanks!

Since very few users have 10' projectors, I suggest you try one on a BD25 and see. I think you will find it looks very good.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi it's me: I have a 8 foot gray tinted projector screen 1.2 gain and a 60 inch plasma tv.The 25 gig blu rays look sharp on both my screens.On the projection screen a lot depends on how you adjust the projector and if your gray scale is set to 6500k so the movie comes up on the screen the way the producer intended the movie to look.

If you have a brighter projector or 2 stacked projectors or the new 4k models you can move up to larger screen sizes also a lot depends on your choice of screen and it's light output rating.I get good results even with blu-rays movies reduced to 8.5 2 layer regular dvds disks.

A lot depends on projector light output,screen light output ratings,projector lens and adjustments.I am talking about home theater projectors i had 3 different one's so far and could make them all look good.We are not talking about cheap lower resolution projectors that are used for business demos.I am talking about 1080p home theater projectors.

Comment

I cannot speak for a ten foot screen, but I have a nine foot screen with a home theater projector(Sanyo) and mine looks great. I cannot tell the difference between the factory disc and the copy. The Blu-ray player used also can make a difference. I personally use Oppo and Panasonic. The HD sound is also great on my Sony receiver. If you don`t have a good high quality projector, take a compressed movie copy to your local home theater store and watch it there. You will be amazed.

Comment

I do have a home theater setup with a high end JVC DILA projector, Stewart Filmscreen Studiotek 130 16:9 10' screen and a Oppo 83 BR player, so yes I do have some decent equipment. I am interested in making DVDfab archive BR copies on 25GB discs but didn't want to go down that road if the results on a big screen are poor. From what you guys are saying it sounds like I'll be happy. Be glad when 50GB blanks drop in price so we can get 1:1 dupes.

Thanks!

Comment

Itsme:You can save a whole lot of money by getting a media player for $100-$140 and a 3t hard drive about $170 to store your movies rather than buying disks.You will have your collection in 1 place,won't have to worry about ciniva copy protection and won't have any disks to lend friends so you won't have to worry about getting them back or scratched.Some like my Micca do 3d also.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
              Itsme:You can save a whole lot of money by getting a media player for $100-$140 and a 3t hard drive about $170 to store your movies rather than buying disks.You will have your collection in 1 place,won't have to worry about ciniva copy protection and won't have any disks to lend friends so you won't have to worry about getting them back or scratched.Some like my Micca do 3d also.
              Thanks for the idea but I need my copies to be portable outside the house and I always worry about hard drive failures (been there).

Comment

Well Sony disks has Cinavia so you can't make disks that play from that company unless you have a uninfected blu ray player to play them on.Hard drives could go bad not oftern but their easy to back up.

The 3t hard drive is book size and the media player the size of a pocket book both are very easily taken to a second location.Whenever any of my friends want to test out their new 4k projectors or 3d projectors i bring the whole thing with me adjust their projectors with test stuff on the harddrive adjust for 3d and play both on their new systems all in predestine 1080p.

They really are portable and they also have mini browsers built in so you have internet also and a internet back up system for your own computer.To each his own but i just wanted you to know the whole system can be moved very easily.
                Last edited by glenns; 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Totally agree with Glenn.

Backing up hard drives is easy and cheap.

I also take my kit to friends places to test their equipment and I use a portable hard drive which is really small and a player the size of a packet of cigarettes.

When I travel, I just have the files on my portables hard drive. Easy Peasy!
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sounds to me.... If you can afford a 10' screen, then buying a BR50 Gig disk is a Mute point.....Just sayin'
                    "Are you still master of your domain?"
                    Cosmo Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by itsme View Post
                      I do have a home theater setup with a high end JVC DILA projector, Stewart Filmscreen Studiotek 130 16:9 10' screen and a Oppo 83 BR player, so yes I do have some decent equipment. I am interested in making DVDfab archive BR copies on 25GB discs but didn't want to go down that road if the results on a big screen are poor. From what you guys are saying it sounds like I'll be happy. Be glad when 50GB blanks drop in price so we can get 1:1 dupes.

Thanks!
                      I also have a decent home theatre with good gear, Mitsubishi PJ, Denon Amp's with B&W speakers. Screen size is 110 inch. I play all my MKV's through XBMC now that it has native DTS-HD support. I can tell you that when I've converted them I cannot tell the difference between the compressed and uncompressed movie. I'm very critical so I wouldn't worry.

However I use handbrake with high quality settings and a RF value of 20. I only use DVDFAB to get the main movie from the disc. My MKV's are about 6 to 20GB in size.

It's cheaper to purchase two NAS's (one for backup), fill them full of discs and network your house than it is to purchase discs in the long run. Blu Ray discs also fail, I used to have blank DVD for almost 10 years and when watching old movie the discs would be unplayable or would stop playing half way through the movie, very annoying. I never have any grief with my NAS's.

Comment

Pretty good advice from the members. I have a 144" screen, but I haven't tried a 25 GB compressed yet. If, you're desperate, I have a few 25 Gs left and I can burn one for comparison with one of my original disks, but like they're saying, use 50Gs. You had questioned the forum about the best 25 Gb brands, so I'll throw in my nickel.. I always use Verbatim and have for years (and years). Very few clay pigeons. Stay away from organic coatings (LTH) at least for now, the manufacturers are just trying to make use of equipment that they have on hand to increase output of product. No so reliable just yet.

Glenn had mentioned the idea of using a media player (he's using a Micca EP600 G2) and for in-home use, it's probably the way to go. They sell for $120 at the Micca store, $180 at Amazon. I just ordered one, so I can't comment just yet, but I understand the concept. (Actually, I understand a lot more than I know about the whole subject.) I Glenn pipes in, he might be able to further advise, but I understand the process to be ripping an M2TS (MPEG-2 Transport System; a video/audio format) to the hard drive from the original. You may be able to burn a disk from that file at a later date, if needed for transport.

Let me know if you want me to try a 25 Gb test for you. What movie shall I burn?

Comment

Working...
                        X