Full Screen vs Widescreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Screen vs Widescreen

Is there a setting when copying a blu-ray movie that will make the copy full screen, rather than the original version of widescreen? (black bars top and bottom)

At present when making a copy I then have to hit the aspect button on my sony remote to cahnge the viewing screen. Its not a big deal, but I was wondering if there was a setting that would copy this "Full Screen" view at burn so that the copy will automatically play full screen.

Hope this makes sense.
    "Are you still master of your domain?"
    Cosmo Kramer

It makes perfect sense, but there is nothing you can do in the Copy module to change it. If your TV is 1.78 aspect, some titles should fill the screen, others (e.g. 2.35) will show black bars top and bottom. The Ripper module will allow you to experiment with the cropping and zoom controls to make an output that crops the sides and fills the screen.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the response. It isn't a big deal, as I do just have to change the view from the TV remote, and all stays in perfect size... ie: no stretching of the actors, etc. The only time you would even notice is when the credits roll, you may not see the actors names depending on where they are listed on the screen, but once the movie plays ther is no issue, although if there are subtitles, you may see them cropped. But since 99% of movies aren't subtitled (English) this isn't an issue either.. Thanks again for your response.
      Cosmo Kramer

Comment

When you zoom in you loose picture info on the sides and top and bottom better to ruin your own picture on your own tv if you like ruined films.

Most of us like letter boxed films as it shows the film as the director intended without cutting any picture information out.You want a bigger picture go projection you can then place black borders over the black bars or project the image in the middle of your screen and enlarge the picture with the zoom so the black bars are off the screen.

I placed black borders made from black paper over my 60 inch screen taped them together and put them where the black bars of the picture are then in the dark you can't see them and the picture looks normal wide screen you can try that also and the black bars won't bother you anymore.

Comment

what you are referring to in your projection paragragh is what I do and it is great. I was just wondering if there was a setting in the copy/burn process to adjust for that automatically. I paid way to much money for my Sony TV's to get involved with arts and crafts with black construction paper.

Thanks for the laugh...
          Cosmo Kramer

Comment

You would not be laughing if done right.The black construction paper was a experiment after that I went to a dollar store got even blacker poster board made the 2 strips and tape the 2 ends to the back of the tv at first then found Velcro works better less messy and can be removed very easy to view full screen stuff.This really works well my tv is a 60 inch plasma 3d so yes this tv its expensive also.This works so well in the dark you would think the tv was in the native aspect of the movie.You can't see the bars on the tv in the dark and it really looks good.It really looks like your in a theater.

You totally ruin the movie by zooming in with the remote to fill the screen and cut off a lot of the sides of the picture and some of the top.I am wondering why you brought a expensive tv to cut off the black bars and ruin the picture.

Having Fab ruining the picture or you using the remote to zoom in results in cut off picture or stretched short fat people or the ends of the picture stretched a lot leaving the center alone all compromise the directors intentions.

I challenge you to do this correctly with black poster board the results will be outstanding and you won't be laughing at my idea any longer but telling all your friends.They laughed at Thomas Edison when he created the light bulb no one thought it could do what it has.
            Last edited by glenns; 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

what good is it to have a 55" sony XBR TV, only to loose 6" on the top and bottom. No arts and crafts projects here...

I will just continue to wide zoom my full TV and watch as I do.

Again, no big deal, as it views wonderfully, and no picture loss of any kind. It was just a thought..
              Cosmo Kramer

Comment

I stretch my picture to save my plasma screen. I know... I'm ruining the movies.

Comment

Yeah right....Sup.

Maybe there is a difference between Plasma and LCD. I am not stretching my picture. all is the same, just fills up the viewing area...

And I don't have to play arts and crafts like Glenn does... Leave that for the kids..
                  Cosmo Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by dcc1048 View Post
                    Yeah right....Sup.

Maybe there is a difference between Plasma and LCD. I am not stretching my picture. all is the same, just fills up the viewing area...

And I don't have to play arts and crafts like Glenn does... Leave that for the kids..
                    Well, all really isn't the same since you are cropping portions of the movie image to force it to fill a 1.78:1 aspect ratio screen.

Comment

I can only totally agree with you, Rich.

He is not watching the movie as the Director/Studio intended and losing detail. At least he's not changing the aspect ratio to do it, or is he?

If you are happy with that, it's your choice but it certainly is not mine.

Originally posted by Rich86 View Post
                      Well, all really isn't the same since you are cropping portions of the movie image to force it to fill a 1.78:1 aspect ratio screen.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Here is a good link with pictures showing what happens to the picture when you zoom or change the picture to get rid of the letterboxed bars it doesn't matter what kind of tv it is ie plasma,lcd or any other.http://www.cnet.com/1991-7874_1-5140690-4.html

Comment

Great examples Glenn. Very concise....
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                          X