BluRay Copy: Film blocky and audio stutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BluRay Copy: Film blocky and audio stutters

I am using DVDFab v9.0.6.0...I have a film on BluRay called "This Means War".

I am unable to copy it...I first copied the film and found it to be very blocky on parts of the screen in certain scenes.

I have placed the film into my drive and loaded DVDFab and used the "Preview" option and the same thing happens - it's blocky and the audio stutters.

I put the film into my BluRay player and it plays without issue.

I have attached the relevant logs to this thread.

Any ideas?

Delta12
    Attached Files

When you refer to the "film" do you mean the backup copy you made?
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi 90312,

After reading your post I've re-read my own message and realised that it's not clear. Apologies for that.

What I normally do is use DVDFab 'Copy, MainMovie' of a BluRay onto my hard disk...I then use DVDFab's Ripper to convert the 'Copy' I've just created into a format that I like (usually .mkv with the original audio and High Quality video).

I did just that with the BluRay in question ("This Means War"). However, when I viewed my .mkv file it appeared blocky.

So what I then did was to re-insert my BluRay back into my 'computers' BluRay drive and load DVDFab, I went to "Copy, MainMovie" again and looked at the 'Preview' and found that the movie was blocky and the audio stutters - just like the .mkv file I had (which I've now deleted).

I then inserted my BluRay disc into my traditional BluRay player and it works perfectly without any audio or video issues.

When I insert my BluRay disc into my computers BluRay drive and load DVDFab, I get the impression that DVDFab struggles to identify it. I'm not 100% sure why I say this - I just get that feeling. That's not helpful is it? lol

Hopefully this post is a little clearer than my last post!

Delta12

Comment

I 'assume' that if the 'Preview' is blocky and the audio stutters then the outputted Copied (or Ripped) file will also be blocky with stuttered audio!

Comment

Sounds like your disc might be marginal, set top players are much more forgiving than a backup program that needs to read every bit of every byte. Try cleaning the disc with window cleaner and a lint free cloth, failing that I would take back to the store and swap it for a new one.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Many thanks for your reply 90312,

I had a feeling you were going to say that. I had already cleaned the surface of the disc, I guess I'll need to replace it.

Thanks again,

D

Comment

Before you return the media to the store, you need to really know that it is bad. If they put the disc into a player and it plays fine, the place will say there is nothing wrong with it and not accept it.

Does your standalone player play MKV files via a USB flash drive and/or burned media? If so, recreate the MKV file and place it on a USB stick, or burn to media, and see how it looks on the standalone player. If that plays just fine, you are having issues with your computer and how it is handling video playback.

Because of the way that BD and DVD authored discs have error correction, a loss of a few bits here or there are recovered via the error correction and will never result in blocky video. Also, the what the data bits are jumbled around, as part of the error correction scheme, you can't get blocky video. It takes a loss of a boat-load of data before anything happens and that will show up in a player stalling while it skips over the damaged area of the media and resyncs with good data.

Keep in mind how MPEG-2 and H.264 video blocks are created. It is virtually impossible for messed up media to affect video blocks. This appears to be an issue with video decoding on your computer.

Comment

This is not necessarily the case. Try changing the preview engine in Settings, swap from DirectShow to Internal or vice versa or enable/disable DXVA decoding for DirectShow.
                Originally posted by delta12 View Post
                I 'assume' that if the 'Preview' is blocky and the audio stutters then the outputted Copied (or Ripped) file will also be blocky with stuttered audio!
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                X