Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resize causing computer crash

Hello,

I have tried searching for this problem, but have not had much luck finding the same issue.

Problem: When attempting to re-size a disc to 25Gb, the computer shuts off after a 7-12 minute window. This happens in both version 8 and version 9. All other modes are working normally.

Computer:
    AMD Phenom IIX4 965 3.4GHz
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, SP1 latest updates installed
    8Gb RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 latest drivers installed

I have used DVDFab for a few years now and have not had this issue until somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2013. I have not made any changes to my computer hardware or software to precipitate this event. The only change has been the updates in DVDFab8 and upgrade to DVDFab9.

During my search, I did notice several postings concerning crashes, mostly linked to decoding with software or GPU. I have tried to isolate the issue by performing several attempts with different decoding combinations. The following changes have been tried but the issue persists:
    1. default
    2. disabling lightning
    3. disabling all GPU
    4. Using all CUDA
    5. Using all software

I am hoping that I have missed a post that deals with this issue. If not, I hope someone with more knowledge concerning DVDFab can assist and resolve. Thanks!

It smells heat related & closing down when too hot.

Give the box, fans, etc, a good blowout with compressed air.

Can you monitor the temps on your computer?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sounds like it could be an overheating issue. If a laptop it's not too unusual just blow it out good with a can duster, if a desktop crack it open and blow out the CPU cooler. The thermal protection will shut the computer down to save itself.

Beat me to it mate, getting slow in old age!
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Shamrock
        If your computer is shutting off, I,m thinking this may be a heat problem.
        Post your internal logs, this may show us a little more.
        Also are you compressing straight from disc or from a folder on your HDD?
        CBR929
        Sorry my friends didn't see you
        Last edited by CBR929; 02-02-2014, 10:25 PM.
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Hi, as an addendum to my issue, this happens when resizing from disc or from iso, also, i have done this for about 2 years without issue, with same computer, no changes. i feel that this is software related vs any heat issue since it has never been an issue. however, i will get my logs together to post. i do very much appreciate any assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            It smells heat related & closing down when too hot.

Give the box, fans, etc, a good blowout with compressed air.

Can you monitor the temps on your computer?
            Yes, I have Speedfan running. GPu hovers at 56C, CPU at 48C. I have a modest fan set up, one inbound, one outbound both 120mm, plus the CPU fan.

Comment

My cut paste didnt quite work out there. My GPU hovers at 56C, then rises to 76C. CPU at 48C, rises to 60C. CPU goes 25-35% in Full Disc to Main Movie mode (average 36-50Mb/s), but in Resize mode CPU goes 75-80% usage (average down 4-9Mb/s). I am guessing by the usage increase and heat increase that this is elevating enough to reach thermal shutdown then? Is there something different about the newer versions that would explain this? I am somewhat baffled because I clean my computer out regularly and have performed resizing numerous times without issue in the past. Just frustrated. Thanks again for everyone's help on this.

Comment

In what you call resize mode, DVDFab is compressing the video to reduce the bitrate, which requires lots of system resources. Sure sounds slike a heat issue to me as well. Depending on the nature of your CPU socket and cooling apparatus, some dust may have collected there that is limiting cooling efficiency. Also, avoid multitasking while compressinng (I avoid it when using DVDFab for anything).
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Agree with everything all my pals have said.
                  Assume you're using the stock CPU cooler...upgrade it...not expensive and easy to do. The stock cooler is inadequate...certainly not an unusual situation...particularly when taking into account how labor intensive BD compression is.

Your GPU temps are also starting to hit excessive temps and while it's got a built-in fan, it needs more...does your box have additional cooling options?

I would also pull your RAM, blow out the sockets and reseat the RAM.
                  This won't help the CPU and GPU specifically, but may help reduce the frequency of the shutdowns

Be certain to clean out your rig as already suggested...a really thorough cleaning
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

THanks to All

Sounds like a plan guys, thanks for all your input. I shall be cleaning that thing out thoroughly on Thursday. I have 2 extra fan slots open too, so I will grab a few more from Fry's and see if I can get those temps down. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X