Copying BD main movie only with menu to get correct subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying BD main movie only with menu to get correct subs

Starting a new thread on this as requested.

For some movies marking a subtitle stream in Fab as default is not sufficient to have the translation subs displayed automatically when copying main movie only to a BD folder structure. This can happen when the translation subs are in a separate stream but are not marked as forced. UK BD of Avengers Assemble is an example.

Standalone players work fine with the above situation as the disc author can include commands to forcibly turn the subtitle display "on" for a particular stream rather that just marking the stream as default.

On DVDs these sort of commands are in the menu area of the disc (IIRC), so I'm wondering if copying BD main movie but retaining menus would preserve the functionality in these cases, at least for players that already seem to honour those commands on full disc copies (e.g. Dune, Mede8er).

The option to retain menus for a main movie only copy is available in Fab for DVD Custom Copy, but not as far as I can tell for BD Copy or Custom Copy as of version 9.1.5.0.

You are correct about the differences between DVDs and BDs, but the default arrow is actually just the "on" switch for both. I do not have the disc you are using but I just tested Main Movie+default spanish subs with the English version of Hunger Games Catching Fire and they played correctly in TMT6, DVDFab Media Player and even VLC. The subs may be generated differently on the Avengers disc. This was with DVDFab v9.1.5.0. Customize mode in BD should leave the menus I think, but it did not work correctly when I just tried it.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks Signals.

If you reload the test rip you made back into Fab again is the Spanish sub track you marked as default recognized by Fab and still marked with the black triangle in the GUI?

Seems like it should be, especially on a rip/copy done by Fab itself, although that has not been my experience.

I'll look again at the Avengers BD and demux the subtitle streams from the disc and from the Fab copy to see if I can figure out what's happening.

But I guess the original question remains, if the BD menus were retained would the subtitle settings be recognized by players like Dune and possibly Fab Media Player since it too plays the menus? Would certainly make copying easier for the average person.

Cheers
      Last edited by Kez; 06-01-2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X