This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash on all discs

I a problem when using compression to BD25. Always crashes my PC regardless of the Blu Ray movie. I'm using the trial version of DBDfab 6.2.1.8, Vista x64, Intel Quad core, and NVIDA Geforce 9600 GT. I have no problem ripping without compression to BD50. Someone said that turning off GPU compression helps - how do I do this? When I look at the options in DVDFab there is an option for GPU acceleration but it is all greyed-out and doesn't give the option to turn off. Is this because I'm using the Trial version of DVDFab?
    Last edited by Complication; 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM. Reason: Fixed wording after move from thead hijack

Sorry, I meant turning off GPU Acceleration in last post. Need help on how to do that.
    Thanks

Comment

I got BD50-BD25 compression working in 6.2.0.5

Up until today DVDFab compression always crashed my PC regardless of the Blu Ray being copied. This is what I did that got it working.

I reloaded Vista x64 from scratch and applied all patches, removed all overclocking, installed DVDFab 6.2.0.5, and added some fans to keep it cooler. I also enabled GPU acceleration in DVDFab. Afterward I was able to backup two fairly long Blu Rays using BD50->BD25 compression. The movies were Angels & Demons, and Transformers-I. Both of these pegged my Intel Quad at 100% cpu for 2-3 hours but they both completed successfully and both burned to BD25 blank media successfully. Both also played extremely well in a Sony & Samsung player. The copy & compress process really pushes the CPU so I setup my system for maximum stability. I had to reload Vista so that I could enable GPU Acceleration. For some reason, I was unable to do that for my NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT on the previous load, possibly some remnant settings from previous video cards. Bottom line is, the reload of Vista helped (fresh install), disabling overclocking helped improve stability, and additional cooling helped keep it from over heating. Most of the problem was simply a system stability issue. DVDFab worked fine - the crashes were not its fault. I haven't tried it with the current version of DVDFab yet and haven't tried it with GPU Acceleration turned off but I plan to try it to see if there is any difference in the time to copy & compress. One last thing. During the copy & compress, I used Task Manager to set the process priority of the FabCore.exe process a notch lower hoping it would throttle the CPU a bit and keep it more stable, but I doubt that made any real difference and plan to test without doing that. Just thought I'd mention it. Hopes this helps someone else who is having system crash problems when trying to use compression. My PC has this config:

Vista x64
      LG WH08LS20 burner
      Intel Q9550 quad
      8gb DDR2 mem
      Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT
      Two WDC 640gb in RAID-0
      One 1tb drive
      One 500gb drive

Comment

The switch for GPU acceleration is in Common Settings. Thanks for the feedback on how you got this working. BD compression is very stressful on a system. There will be some improvements in the compression process in an upcoming release.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Iron Man is the worst but still worked!

Just an update. Was also able to backup the Iron Man Blu Ray. My son is hard on DVDs so giving him a backup to play instead of the original saves us from buying multiple copies. Also, with just the movie on the disk allows the movie to start quickly, none of this business with the previews that you can't bypass

Comment

Blu Ray Compression

I'm finding that backing up a Blu Ray with compression is so stressful on my system that I have to pop the side cover and set a small fan next to it to keep it from overheating. The CPU has a large cooler that seems to do the job there but other components on the motherboard possibly need the extra cooling which surprises me because the Abit IP35 Pro has a lot of built-in cooling. I'm considering a larger case with more fans. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having similar crash problems. In any event, any problems I have still appears to be system stability issues, not DVDfab's compression.

Comment

Originally posted by rwp View Post
              I'm finding that backing up a Blu Ray with compression is so stressful on my system that I have to pop the side cover and set a small fan next to it to keep it from overheating. The CPU has a large cooler that seems to do the job there but other components on the motherboard possibly need the extra cooling which surprises me because the Abit IP35 Pro has a lot of built-in cooling. I'm considering a larger case with more fans. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having similar crash problems. In any event, any problems I have still appears to be system stability issues, not DVDfab's compression.
              i just looked over your system specs, and you should not be having any problems compressing bluray media.
              As for cooling, it is very important you keep your computer as cool as possible, and im just saying, if you are using a stock cpu cooler for that Q9550 chip no good.
              Compressing bluray's is definitely stressing the computer, i have no problem doing it with mine.
              I have compressed a 50gb to 25gb and even bd9 (dvd dl) still keeping 1080p, and hd sound movie only.
              I wouldn't use any other program to do this dvdfab is awesome!
              Windows 7 Ultimate x64
              DVDFab 7.0.8.2 full

Comment

You Are Right.

It's working real well now. I added some additional cooling near the south bridge and that solved the crash problems. The MB has a large heat sink with pipes but apparently the case doesn't have enough air flow so I ordered a new case. The CPU never did get above 57c even after a couple hours. I was able to backup Iron Man to disk (no burn time) in less than 3 hours and the resulting burned copy worked great. The only issue I have now is that after the backup to disk completes (rip) and I exit DVDFab I still see the DVDFab.exe process in Task Manager and can not kill it. For some reason it doesn't run down when I exit DVDFab. This prevents me from re-starting DVDFab and also causes Nero to hang as well. I have to reboot to clear it. No sure why but not a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                X