Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Percentage of Writable Disc Area Varies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percentage of Writable Disc Area Varies.

Hello,

I notice that when backing up a BD-50 to BD-25 (movie only) the percentage of the BD-25 disc being used to write the files as reported by Imgburn varies from between 89% to 96% for various titles (but usually around 95% for many titles). I am guessing that it has to do with compression algorithms and such, but was wondering if it is normal to have this kind of a variance (7%) ?

Do you suggest tweaking the writable media settings under "Common Settings>Drives>Blu-ray Copy" for BD-25 above 23GB to get closer to 95% usage of the writable disc area (end result being less compression, better quality), as it is for most titles, or leave it at default 23 GB and just live with it?

I know these are just backups but would still like to get to highest quality I can. (Btw, I only use one type of media for backups ... Verbatim 25GB, Media ID IMe-000)

Thank you.

burning too close to the edge of the disc may cause undesirable consequences - https://www.dvdfab.cn/faq/?type=blu_...y&num=2#faq2_8

also see here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/manual/settings/Write
    Last edited by october262; 02-21-2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah I saw that before, but when Imgburn reports you are using, say, 92% of the writeable area, that is a large margin for error. I guess better to be cautious.

Btw, writing too close to the edge is a problem I have had in backing up on dual layer BD-Rs (BD-50). Since there is no way to control layer break on a BD-R, Imgburn will burn right to the edge on layer 0, even if the total of files is just over 25 GB. My standalone player stutters at the layer break 99% of the time. Even when burning at 2x. I had posted about this issue elsewhere in this forum but no one has offered any suggestions so I stay with single layer BD-Rs for now.

Anyway, back to the original issue, has anyone else noticed the issue I raised? Its not a problem per se, and the quality of the backup seems fair, but there are some movies that require a larger amount of compression and trying to eke out as much of the writable area without wreaking havoc by writing too close to the edge would be very beneficial. I guess my real question is, is this normal behavior as far as the variance. Its seems like some while back, I was getting 95% of the disk pretty much all the time, then somewhere along the way it started changing to an occasional lesser amount. As I posted I even got 89% one time (can't remember the title now, but perhaps it was specific to that title.)

Comment

for movies that require large amounts of compression, you could try eliminating some of the audio tracks & special features or try main movie only.

Comment

I do that, Main movie only, single audio track (HD off). English subtitles only. Yesterday I was making a backup of Wonder (2017, US, RA). DVDFab reported that it was compressing to 91% of the original (i.e. 9% compression). That was no problem. But when I went to burn it on a BD25, Imgburn reported that it was only using 90% of the disc, which makes me wonder why DVDFab is compressing so much. The quality was good however. Last week I backed up Man On Fire and Imgburn reported the usual 95% usage of the disc, so it must have something to do with how DVDFab compresses some titles. For both of these I left the size setting at 23000 MB. I guess what I am trying to find out here is whether or not this is normal.

Comment

see this here - http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/...reak-settings/

Comment

The link has to do with the BD-R Dl issue (which I did address earlier) but not the main issue I raised, but thanks.

Comment

For higher accuracy in output size estimations, try the settings shown in the capture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-011 DEEPSCAN.png
Views:	160
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	349970

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes, I do have that checked, as well as the "Slow Speed/High Quality" box under Encoding Settings.

I am still trying to find out if what I am experiencing is normal or not. If it is, then there is nothing I can do to change it. If not, will need to troubleshoot more.

Thank you.

Comment

I have the disc you mentioned in the earlier post and will try to duplicate what you are seeing.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

FYI, I am thinking this issue must be title specific. Two other recent backups : Victoria and Abdul (US, movie only, audio English only AC3 ) resulted in only 88% of the BD25 disc used (total size of all files about 20GB), but Goodfellas (US, movie only, audio English only AC3) resulted in the normal 95% of the disc being used (total of all files about 23GB), as is the case with most titles. Both titles were backed up using the same settings. So again, this issue must be title specific, maybe having to do with the way the original is encoded. Victoria and Abdul still played back perfectly just perhaps at a higher compression than needed.

Comment

signals, any update or more info on this issue? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X