Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a recommended Bluray drive to use for burning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a recommended Bluray drive to use for burning?

Hi all, I need to buy a new bluray drive for burning blurays as mine seems to be having issues. Is an external one recommended? Or should I stay away from it and get an internal one. I just built a system and it contain these usb ports: two USB 3.1 Gen2 ports, a Type-A and a Type-C.
    If a internal is recommended, any particular brand model should I look at, same with a portable one if that can be used.
    Thanks for any help

i use LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40) never had any problems. 58.00 on amazon. recommend this good price with no issues

Comment

I currently have a LG WH16NS40 that is having the issue. Maybe I should check the firmware.

Comment

pending on how long u have used and how many backups u have made eventually alll drives need replaced after time. usually u can tell if ur burner is starting to go bad by looking at the blueray blank that u have burned onto. it starts to look like the laser that burns isnt burning well on disc. i have replace mine a couple of time over the years. i always buy lg brand.

Comment

i have never updated firmware on my drives. dont believe there is any updates 4 this drive.

Comment

I recommend internal LG drives. Consider getting one that is “UHD Friendly” in case you ever want to process 4k UHD discs. You can find more information about them in the UHD forum here.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

My 2 cent worth thought! Stay away from obscure brand names to save few bucks. My budget Asus laptop is 7 years old. Never have I used computer that long. It still does what it is supposed to do. It came with an internal Pioneer brand dvd burner. I decided to get usb dvd ripper/burner since I was burning a lot of music cds, movie dvds. I was worried dvd tray would eventually break!! So, I bought a Samsung brand external unit (with Lightscibe that I still love and use). I loved this baby so much, I invested in another Samsung brand bluray external drive. That works very well, too. I heard a lot of good recommendations for LG brand. I don't think u will go wrong with either brand. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 0brian View Post
                i have never updated firmware on my drives. dont believe there is any updates 4 this drive.
                If you have Service Code NS50 (this is stated on the drive's label), there have actually been several firmware updates since the drive's first release, the latest being 1.03 per LG's website. However, to use this drive to process 4K UHD with DVDFab, you will need firmware version 1.02 (you can downgrade if your drive has 1.03 via DVDFab's firmware downgrade tool). I have three WH14NS40 drives (two installed in PC's and one backup in case of failure). The two installed units have been in service since January, 2016 and I have never had any issues. I use Verbatim 25 GB media exclusively, and have not had even a single 'coaster'.
                Last edited by LaciBacsi; 09-21-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X