This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD-50 --> BD-25 compression in Full Disc

Hey all, I was wondering, in Full Disc mode, how do you compress a BD-50 to a BD-25? When I pop the movie in and it loads up, when I select BD-25 1080p from the quality drop down menu, it will say something like the quality is 52%, for example. Is this before compression and then when I start the burning process, it will automatically compress? I just ask because I don't want to spend hours screwing around trying to figure this out and potentially wasting discs. A quick reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, the 52% figure is the amount of compression that will be applied and it will be automatically compressed to the temp folder on your hard disk and when this is complete, it will burn the blank,
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

So...

So, how noticeable would the difference in quality be if something was compressed that much?

Comment

That depends on a lot of factors, including the display that you are using, the played that you are using, the distance from the screen and your own eyesight.

No one has put up any definitive statements on Blu-Ray, but for DVD's, most of us old hands would not go below 80%.

You will just have to try it and see what you yourself think of the results.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

The display I'm using is a 40inch LCD 1080p. I'm using a Sony blu-ray player and am about 5-6 feet away from the screen. For DVDs, in the past I've used a couple of different programs besides DVDFab. One of them, DVDShrink, has said sometimes that the compression is 55% ish when compressing to a 4.7gb disc and I can't see any noticeable difference.

Is there a way to remove maybe just the extras and/or different language audio tracks while in Full Disc mode because I would like to preserve the menu?

If you could comment on both of these things, that would be great. Thanks much.

Comment

The BD-9/1080 compression, which is probably more severe than what you are contemplating, is almost indestinguishable from the original. I have made copies as low as 38% with very good results, certainly far better than a DVD compressed to 55%. This will vary some depending on the original.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Although there is the 'Customize" feature in DVD to DVD that will do this, it is not yet available for Blu-Ray and I do not know of any plans to add it, so you are stuck with either Full Disk or Main Movie.

Comment

signals, do you mean BD-25/1080p compression? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I've only used DVDFab in the past for copying DVDs and have just started using it only recently for blu-ray.

An immediate example I have for a movie is Star Trek (2009). It says: Quality: 59% (38.685 GB -> 23.145 GB). I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable difference since it is being compressed by over 15 GB.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

Paul, only you can tell. There are just too many variables for us to say.

Just try it!!!

Comment

Why is there no Customize Mode?

Why is there no Customize Mode in the Blu-ray version?

This would allow to remove unwanted content (such as previews) when copying a 50GB DL disc to cheaper 25GB media.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                    Although there is the 'Customize" feature in DVD to DVD that will do this, it is not yet available for Blu-Ray and I do not know of any plans to add it, so you are stuck with either Full Disk or Main Movie.

Comment

There will be other features added to the Blu-ray copy modes. It is still under active development.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X