This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced subtitle support

I realize that quite a bit has been discussed regarding the subtitle support capabilities as it pertains to Blu-ray to Blu-ray "main movie" mode. However, at least for my situation, I have yet to get this issue resolved (although support/fix for this issue was touted for version 7.06x).

The Blu-ray in question is Broken Trail. In chapter four, Chinese women speak in Chinese and when playing the disc the english subtitles of what they are saying appear. When ripping that chapter (with both english sub picture tracks chosen), no subtitles appear on playback. When, in another program, I review the playback after selecting one or the other english subtitle track I get either english subtitles throughout or in addition to those, I get the description of whats going on. Obviously this is not desirable.

It appears, from reading the threads, that in order to get my desired result with the least amount of work (avoiding the multiple step, demux, remux, whatever process), I have to purchase an additional program: Blu-ray to mobile, which has a function that allows me to select "forced subtitles" (or something). Is this correct? Why this extra step? Can't "forced subtitles" be implemeted in the Blu-ray to Blu-ray product?

Is this issue truly fixed (in Blu-ray to Blu-ray, Main Movie option) has been advertised? Or does the "fix" pertain to a few select titles (i.e. Avatar) and/or requiring an additional (purchased) program? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not trying to be belligerent here, I'm just trying to get this to work.

I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve here.

Have you tried a Full Disk or Main Movie backup to ISO and played that in your software player?

If you are playing just the stream file with your software player, control over the subtitle display is compromised.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I am trying to stream the .m2ts file to my living room TV via an MC extender, which requires a conversion to a suitable format. Without the subtitles present, that conversion is useless. In the future I would like to stream the native m2ts file to a media player, hence the need for subtitle support. I gather from your reply that "control over the subtitle display is compromised" that the issue of forced subtitle support has not been fixed, if it truly ever can be. I just want to know. Is it so difficult to include forced subtitle support for m2ts files (that appears to be the net of it)? Does this feature require a separate step (i.e conversion) and thus the purchase of a separate program? Not owning the Blu-ray to Mobile app., would I be able to convert from m2ts to m2ts with forced subtitles, like converting to another format appears to be able to do? Is there something about m2ts files that don't permit forced subtitles?

I know that you may not have an answer to my questions, and they may sound ignorant; but those are my my thoughts when its explained that the ability exist to retain the forced subtitles when using the Blu-ray to mobile app.

Comment

Originally posted by untechnoman View Post
        I am trying to stream the .m2ts file to my living room TV via an MC extender, which requires a conversion to a suitable format. Without the subtitles present, that conversion is useless. In the future I would like to stream the native m2ts file to a media player, hence the need for subtitle support. I gather from your reply that "control over the subtitle display is compromised" that the issue of forced subtitle support has not been fixed, if it truly ever can be. Is there something about m2ts files that don't permit forced subtitles?

I know that you may not have an answer to my questions, and they may sound ignorant; but those are my my thoughts when its explained that the ability exist to retain the forced subtitles when using the Blu-ray to mobile app.
        untechnoman,
        I would like to clarify situation for you here. You seems do not see any enthusiasm from anybody to answer your question, and there's reason for it.
        GregiBoy's answer was absolutely correct and to the point; you however, continue elaborate on this topic and demonstrate lack of knowledge of bare basics. Don't take me wrong, I don't want to offend you in any way, I just want to explain to you that nobody is willing to write Wiki-like article here with introduction into basics of video formats and containers. Yet, you writing statements demonstrating a degree of illiteracy. By saying that I want to encourage you to visit Wikipedia and read article or two.
        In a meanwhile, I want to give you a clue for search criteria:
        (1) Blu-ray, DVD, MKV, AVI, etc. are containers carrying various streams
        (2) M2TS is a Video stream (TS stands for Transport Stream) - one of the streams that are packed into containers
        (3) Subtitles are also stream.
        When all streams are embedded into container, it's containers' overhead responding to your clicks of a remote control following your wish to add or remove subs, produce english or french audio, etc. When you are pulling one of the streams out of container and playing it along, you leaving all other goodies behind. That's what GregiBoy was meant by saying "control over the subtitle display is compromised", which would make sense to anybody who read at least one article in Wiki, yet you are pissed... are you getting my drift?

I just want to know. Is it so difficult to include forced subtitle support for m2ts files (that appears to be the net of it)? Does this feature require a separate step (i.e conversion) and thus the purchase of a separate program? Not owning the Blu-ray to Mobile app., would I be able to convert from m2ts to m2ts with forced subtitles, like converting to another format appears to be able to do?
        I hope you know by now... And yes, it's difficult, or I would say impossible. Or you may try to find way and revolutionize video industry.

Instead, I would suggest you to take a close look at MKV container, or see what other options and formats could be used. We'll be here for you. You can always come here for consultation. Just leave your attitude outside, because when you asking this kind of questions with this kind of attitude... you looks a bit foolish, I would say.

By the way, GregiBoy is a professional in network streaming, media players, etc. He's your man!
        Last edited by IPopov50; 06-12-2010, 04:09 AM.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

To clarify, the Avatar forced subs fix you mentioned related to Blu-ray to Mobile. There are no controls for forced subs in Blu-ray to Blu-ray mode because if 1) you include the subpicture stream that contains the forced subs in the output folder and 2) if your player supports them, they will play automatically.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I am not trying to offend you either but ....

As IPopov said, you need to get more of a handle on understanding streams & formats before you go any further, as you seem to have limited knowledge of this.

You also need to thoroughly research the specifications of any media player that you intend to throw into the mix as there is varied support for containers/file formats.

To be honest with you, a player that will play HD MKV's and the Mobile module of Fab is what I personally use and have absolutely no problem with forced subs. I also have no problems with the subs on my PC either as I use VLC to play these files.

Here is a link to the Blu-Ray structure

Last edited by GregiBoy; 06-12-2010, 04:47 AM. Reason: Added Wikipedia link
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              I also have no problems with the subs on my PC either as I use VLC to play these files.
              Not to offend GregiBoy in any way, I would like to offer one more player to try - Media Player Classic Home Cinema. You can get it from here (it's available in both 32 and 64 bit):

Good luck
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

My misunderstanding stems from the release notes for 7.06.2 (May 20):

DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray":

* New: Added forced subtitle support for "Main Movie" mode, which means only when foreign language is spoken, the subtitle will be shown.

This statement is incorrect, or at the very least misleading.

That being said, what I gather from what your saying is that the subtitle(s) is a separate stream. It needs to be flagged (i.e. forced) to turn on when appropriate (e.g. when a foreign language is spoken and needs to be translated); as opposed to displaying the subtitle stream throughout the presentation. The video, audio, subtitle and the flag information is contained in the container (e.g. mkv, AVI, etc.). When played back in a compatible player the subtitles are flagged automaticaly during the presentation. When using the "Blu-ray to Mobile" application, the subtitles are flagged and rendered during the conversion to whatever profile I select.

If my understanding is correct, then in essence to resolve my current situation I need to purchase the Blu-ray to Mobile application.

Comment

I think some movies were fixed, but some probably still have issues. It all depends on how the forced subtitles are implemented. I never had a problem with FS in Avatar as some did, but almost every other movie I tried they would be missing. I was using 7.0.4.0 at the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X