This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of questions

I am a long time user of DVDFab and have purchased the DVD and mobile versions,
    I am generally very happy with it.
    Before I purchase the BluRay part I have a couple of questions:
    Does anyone know when the GPU acceleration for ATI cards (4550 in my case) should start working and if so what sort of difference it may make. Problem I have is that my dual core system says it will take 6 hours to backup/transcode a BluRay film to BD-R 25GB.
    Lastly I also have a competitor product and wondered whether I can combine both products to get round the current lack of support for BD+ in DVDFab.
    Last edited by troy512; 10-18-2009, 04:09 PM.
    Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, Intel i7-860, ATI HD 4550 Drivers Catalyst 11.3

Hi,

For ATI cards, DVDFab can use DXVA to acelerate video decoding, please try it to see the result.

For BD50->BD25 compression, 6 hours is normal.

Best Regards,
    Fengtao
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Thanks for reply.
      Are there any ATI models DVDFab is known to work with, or to put it another way what feature does it use in an ATI card so when selecting a card we can be sure of success. Is this covered in an FAQ anywhere?

I ask this as DVDFab just shut down when I had it enabled on my 4550 running ATI Catalyst 9.9

Cheers
      Last edited by justinhow; 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

This is not covered in any FAQ.

I have been involved with fab for over 5 years and have not seen this question asked on any forum in that that time so I don't like your luck in getting a definitive statment.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yea - weird really, as the time for some of the transcoding processes done by DVDFab is so long I would have thought the GPU acceleration was of real interest to quite a few. Indeed Fengtao obviously thinks so hence why he provided the new GPU functionality.
          I was looking at a certain CyberLink transcoding product which could use GPU power and they listed specific Video cards that they knew to be ok - ran to more than 25 I think.
          Would be really useful to get more info on this for DVDFab.

Comment

Point taken. I may start up a separate thread in "Answers to Common Questions"
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I think something might be appropriate for the "Answers to Common Questions" and have started on a draft for comment by my fellow moderators.

We have not listed individual cards as they are too numerous to list but we will list the chipsets on which the cards are based for your information.

If you wish to add to this information, please submit it in the "Submit you Tips/Guides Here" section of the Knowledgebase sub-forum.

To obtain the information on the chipset being recognised by Fab, go to Settings, GPU Acceleration and post the information given here. I will then add this to this definitive list as time permits.

This is based on information supplied by forum members and is not a guarantee that these chipsets will work in your computer and is meant as an informational guide only.

The following graphic card chipsets have been reported by forum members as being recognised and used by DVD Fab:

NVidia GeForce 8400GS - CUDA H264 & VC1- Tested by GregiBoy

The following graphic card chipsets have been reported by forum members as NOT being recognised and used by DVD Fab:

None reported yet.

Comment

Great Idea!! It will be very useful since I plan on upgrading my card later.

Edit: This card works also.
                Nvidia GeForce 9500GT - Cuda H264 & VC1 - Firmware 191.07 - DVDFab version 6110 - Tested By W&B
                Last edited by W&B; 10-14-2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Add the DVDFab version you test with, and the firmware/driver version or date of the card.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

This is great. Can I suggest you make a sticky - or add this to a sticky - in this forum (as it is of particular relevance to BluRay transcoding) because if you can gather the info from many of the existing DVDFab users you could end up with a really useful addition to your knowledgebase. May be with a link from so it is easy for people to find.

I can see that from a DVDFab sales point of view buying a new Intel iCore CPU based PC to allow reasonable speed of conversion may not be realistic, but purchasing a $140 Video card may well fit within many peoples budget if it slashes conversion time by 50%. Certainly the other product I referred to above make quite a big play of the GPU acceleration benefits.

This is indeed exactly where I am at but just need more info on which card to get (ideally ATI for me) and the sort of benefit to be expected.
                    So far no luck with my ATI 4550 but will do more testing before submitting info.

Comment

Gregiboy,
                      I found a good tip you might want to add to the "Answers to Common Questions"

You might be concerned with squeezing every last bit of performance out of your machine, or may have compatibility problems between Aero and an application that you are running. Either way you are looking for the simplest way to disable Aero while running that application, and this is it.
                      You can edit the properties of a shortcut and tell Windows to automatically disable Aero as soon as you start that application, and then re-enable it again once the application is closed.
                      1. Simply right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties, and then the Compatibility tab.
                      2. Now on the Settings block check the box for “Disable desktop composition” in order to disable Aero the next time you use the shortcut.

Comment

DVDFab 6.1.1.2, ATI 4550, Win 7 RTM x64 FAILS

DVDFab reports:
                        Graphics Chipset :
                        ATI Radeon HD 4550
                        Supported Video Codecs :
                        DXVA_MODE_H264
                        DXVA_MODE_VC1
                        Catalyst 9.9 Drivers.

FAILS. DVDFab crashes (log file attached)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justinhow View Post
                          DVDFab 6.1.1.2, ATI 4550, Win 7 RTM x64 FAILS

DVDFab reports:
                          Graphics Chipset :
                          ATI Radeon HD 4550
                          Supported Video Codecs :
                          DXVA_MODE_H264
                          DXVA_MODE_VC1
                          Catalyst 9.9 Drivers.

FAILS. DVDFab crashes (log file attached)
                          just a fleeting thought here, but could this be Win 7 issue ?

Comment

Quite possibly....

We all know how good Micro$oft and Windoze are !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X