Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPU Acceleration, just decoding supported?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPU Acceleration, just decoding supported?

Does either CUDA or DXVA support the encoding of H264, VC1?
    I got the impression from another post that it was only decoding that is off-loaded from the CPU, which is much less processor intensive of course, but I have not seen it confirmed by the people in the know.
    Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, Intel i7-860, ATI HD 4550 Drivers Catalyst 11.3

Anyone know about this?

Comment

My antique video card does not support either one, but it is my understanding the DXVA is decode only, CUDA is both.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

GPU acceleration problem

Hi,

I could not get "Main Movie" mode to work at all. Compression stalled after writing the first 100kB or so.
        Similarly, there is no preview available for 1080p/VC-1 files (but there is for 480i etc files).

When I disabled "GPU DXVA acceleration" in the DVDfab options, that solved the problem! I'm now compressing my first Blu-ray movie.

Any hints on how I can get acceleration working? It's taking approx 4 hours to rip/compress/write-to-HDD the main movie.

HP laptop system: Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz, 3GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, LG BH08 BD burner, 80GB USB external HDD.

Comment

Currently there appears to be very little (or is that no) info supplied by the developers about what cards are supported with respect to CUDA/DXVA acceleration. For example which ranges of ATI and NVideo should work, which is dissappointing.

There is some feedback from users in the Knowledge base section about which have worked and so far no ATI cards have been confirmed as working yet. I have had no luck with my ATI 4550.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

I "bit the bullet" and purchased Blu-ray to Blu-ray mode. Although it's a little slow on my PC, I'm sure I'll upgrade my PC before my 'lifetime' support of DVDfab runs out.

I've ordered 10 BD-R SL 25GB discs at about AUD$4.80 each (US$4.50) but for now I'm backing up my few BD movies using DVD+R DL discs. It's slow, but it works reliably and they play on my PS3.

Perhaps there's a forum post about sourcing reliable BD-R discs at low cost?

Can you offer any numbers on how much faster encoding/decoding might be, with the appropriate video card (that supports acceleration)?

Comment

Afraid not as I have not got acceleration working; I suspect my card is not supported.

See thread here where same question is being asked.

It is also not confirmed for definate whether encoding is supported although see above.

Comment

Working...
              X