Can't Get Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Get Started

Hi, I am new to this so am a bit lost. I have version 8.0.05 of DvdFab. I backed up a blue ray movie (in Full Disc mode)as a video not as a image to my hard drive. Now I want to watch it I pulled out my dual layer blue ray RW disc to burn it to but cannot get started. When I select the movie from the hard drive I had burnt, it opens to folder called Full Disc. When I select Full Disc folder it opens up to a folder with the movie title_FI. I open this and it opens on to two folders BDMV and Certificate and so on... it just keeps opening more folders one after the other but none of them seem to load into DVDFab when I select it. How do I get this onto disc to watch? Any help would be appreciated.

Use the "clone" feature to rip to hard drive. This will make an ISO. Now, go to "full disc" and choose the ISO as the source file.
    Last edited by sonydude1966; 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. In the meantime you mean I have wasted all that time burning to hard drive as video files and is useless now unless I do the way you suggested? I can do the method you advised going forward with DVDFab but do I really have to start again with all my blue ray rips and delete the files? Is there any program that will do this for me in the meantime so I don't have to rip 7 or 8 discs again?

Comment

No, you don't have to delete any files.

Fab will rip your movie files to the hdd in either file mode
        (VIDEO_TS Folder and AUDIO_TS Folder)
        or in .ISO mode.

Similarly, Fab will burn an "image" to blank media from your hdd whether it was ripped in file mode or in .ISO mode.
        Keep in mind that an .ISO is merely a container for the same .ifo, .vob and .bup files contained in the VIDEO_TS Folder.

You said you're unable to open the ripped files?
        I understand what you mean by you "keep opening files"...like peeling an onion, but I'm confused as to exactly how you're doing this.
        Fab should have no problem opening the source files in either mode.

Could you please provide a screenshot or two...like so:
        (You can see the selection process in screenshot #1...
        and in the #2 screenshot Fab opened the source files without issue)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	303426

Below, I've selected a hdd as the target and also selected .ISO as the file format. Note the red outlined .ISO icon to the far right of the Target box (dog-eared page with the disc overlay).

You can choose clone mode as sonydude1966 suggested and this will automatically rip in .ISO format, but will not give you any latitiude as to what's ripped.
        Essentially, clone mode will rip a 1:1, bit for bit copy.
        If that's what you want, great.

The method I've displayed will allow you to rip Main Movie or Full Disc.
        The Customize Mode for BD should be finalized by Fengtao in the near future

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	303427
        Last edited by maineman; 09-04-2010, 02:16 AM.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi I have attached two screen shots. You can see I selected movie Dr No and selected Ok then see the next screen - nothing does not recognise it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi maineman postscript to my last post I have made it work. What it was is I had to click on movie file titled Dr No. I opened this to another folder called Full Disc. Then I opened it to another folder called DRNO_F1. The trick is to stop here and not open any further folders and select this one and it seems to load.

But are you saying at this point you cannot burn straight to blue ray disc, you have to burn as ISO file to HDD then burn off that ISO file to blue ray disc? Seems a long process to achieve the copy to disc

Comment

Glad you're up and running.

I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying you shouldn't compress directly from the BD disc.
              Fab is not an on-the-fly ripper anyway and will rip to your hdd, either as a temp file or if the hdd is selected as the Target.
              (Passkey is the exception to this).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:
              Originally posted by maineman View Post
              Don't compress on the initial rip from the disc.
              This creates a huge bottleneck and in addition to taking an absurd amount of time, it will suck the life out of your burner
              Using this method can also create a predisposition to errors

No, you don't have to rip as an .ISO, but it's perfectly fine to do so.
              This is a matter of preference and how you intend to use/manipulate the files

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi maineman thank you for clarifying a few things. I did not realise that ripping to hdd as Full Disc was compressing. I thought as the title implied Full disc was 100% of disc at 100% copy quality but will now know to use clone.

I am getting so close to burning to blue ray now but am stuck on the last bit that seems to be a problem in DVDFab recognising the blank blue ray disc. It is a blank TDK BD - RE 50gb disc.

Here are the steps I did and maybe you can tell me what is going wrong.

When I open up DVDFab I select Full Disc mode and insert BD disc it says Open Blue Ray source. Then it asks me to specify the discs region code (see screen shot 1).

After I do this I click on Start (see screenshot 2). Then I get a box saying detecting writable media in my drive. (refer screen shot 3). This goes on for two or three minutes then returns with the Pause Finish tabs at the bottom and nothing has happened (refer screen shot 4).

I am lost.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LionelS View Post
                  Hi maineman thank you for clarifying a few things. I did not realise that ripping to hdd as Full Disc was compressing. I thought as the title implied Full disc was 100% of disc at 100% copy quality but will now know to use clone.
                  This is not what maineman is saying, full disk means full disk.
                  To burn you are going to use the Write Data option
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Hi LionelS,

I'm afraid I've confused you and it's at least partially my fault.
                    When I suggested that you should not compress on the initial rip, I didn't realize until now that you weren't.
                    I'm afraid I was helping 2-3 other members who were, in fact, compressing in this manner and as I was responding to you,
                    I had it in my head that you were doing the same.
                    Apologies.

CBR929 is exactly right as usual.
                    Re: the files already on your hdd...
                    for these, select Write Data .
                    This will burn these files directly to a disc without any further processing, ie., no re-ripping in this mode.

In the future since you're not compressing, when starting with a new BD disc, it's fine to go ahead and rip and burn in a 1-click method
                    or if you only have 1 BD drive, a 2-click method.

Another thought re: Full disc.
                    Since you're using BD-RE media, you're obviously not archiving to these.
                    Why not burn just the main title? that is unless you want all the extras.
                    This'll cut down on both rip time and burn time, not to mention wear and tear on your burner.

As far as what mode to select, this is based on the user's preference.
                    Do you want just the main movie or do you want Full disc with all content?
                    Whether or not the files are compreesed or not is a function of the
                    Target size selected, ie., BD50, BD25, BD9.

The only exception is clone mode, which will not compress, but rather make a true 1:1, bit for bit copy.

Now, to your never getting past the "detecting writable media" message.

Are you certain this TDK BE-RE is still writable?
                    Frankly I don't know much about BD-RE media and how many burns you can expect, but I've never been a fan of RW media for dvd video.
                    Not too bad for tv shows though, where expectations are fairly low.

Recommend that you give Img a whirl.
                    Click on the link in my sig

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDab to work together

and download and install Img.
                    The link contains an excellent video tutorial on how to set it up.

Img is a much more reliable and configurable burn engine and is less likely to stumble with "difficult" or otherwise marginal media.

Hope this helps and doesn't further confuse the process for you

Comment

Yes maineman I understand what you are saying.

Thanks for your suggestion for ImgBurn. It worked first time perfect. This disc also works perfectly (to record onto this disc) with my stand alone Panasonic Blue Ray recorder. I suspect DVDFab has not been tested much if at all with dual layer (50 gb) rewritable blue Ray discs. Can we get a fix in DVDFab in future release to be more compatible with this type of disc?

Comment

Originally posted by LionelS View Post
                        Yes maineman I understand what you are saying.

Thanks for your suggestion for ImgBurn. It worked first time perfect. This disc also works perfectly (to record onto this disc) with my stand alone Panasonic Blue Ray recorder. I suspect DVDFab has not been tested much if at all with dual layer (50 gb) rewritable blue Ray discs. Can we get a fix in DVDFab in future release to be more compatible with this type of disc?
                        Strictly speaking, the problem lies not with Fab, but with VSO... the default burn engine that comes bundled with Fab.
                        This is just one example why many users, and I believe all the mods, use Img.
                        VSO is problematic for many and Img is simply the best burn engine available, bar none.

You can suggest this fix to Fengtao (not part of VSO) or better, to VSO directly, but don't hold your breath.

Glad to hear you're up and running smoothly...

Comment

Working...
                        X