This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD5 and 9 rencodes too small

Until the release of 6.1.2.0 I have been using other software and rencoding my own bluray to dvd5 or 9. I have made over 200 using x264 encoding.
    I was pleased to hear of the all in one method with the new dvdfab. I have tried this on 3 blurays to dvd5.
    Firstly - Fantastic interface and very fast encoding speed. ( A 2hr bluray movie to dvd 5 takes just over an hour on my pc - compared with about 4-5 hrs using a 2 pass x264 method).
    However the resulting files/image is only about 3.7gb in each case - I selected a dvd5 size of 4470mb.
    The movie files or image burn and play fine in a PS3 but obviously the quality is noticeably different than the same encode using the full 4470mb.
    I expected the size to be less than 4470mb as dvdfab uses just a 1 pass encode - however the size 0f 3.7gb is way smaller than a similar first pass x264 encode.
    In each csae I selected the 640 kbps audio.(Not TRUE HD if it was there)

If you could improve the size calculation and maybe offer a 2nd pass option this would make a great app much better.
    Thx and looking forward to updates.

Several adjustments have been made to the size calculations, perhaps more are needed. Glad to hear the speed is so good. I think the DVD5 size choice automatically removes the HD audio to provide more room for video. This is good feedback, I hope Ting will see it. He may be able to provide more information. I have sent him a link to this thread.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

hi,

If you could improve the size calculation and maybe offer a 2nd pass option this would make a great app much better.
      Thx and looking forward to updates.
      we are working at this, try to get more accurate bitrate control and will support 2pass encode.

thanks report the problem, and if it's possible, please tell me which disc is your try to compression ?

Comment

Thanks for the info ting.
        A 2 pass option should enable more exact size calculation.
        Discs converted with dvdfab - Journey to Centre Of The Earth ( 2d and 3d discs)
        Beowulf
        Total Recall

I also tried Elvis Costello ( but this is interlaced and dvdfab does not support interlaced compression yet ).

Also I forgot to mention my PC specs - if this helps with encoding results:

Quad Core 9400 (2.66GHZ)
        4 gb RAM
        Geforce GTX 260
        2 X Seagate SATA II 7200 RPM HDD
        XP PRO SP3
        PIONEER BDC 202 OPTICAL DRIVE

Comment

Ah so that is what dvdfab is shorter. It is a single pass encode instead of 2. Just curious jamd1 how much time does it take you to do main movie Blu-ray to DVD9 with DVDfab? Also what times does it take you using a 2 pass encoder software?

I only have an dual core E8400 at the moment. DVDFab takes me from 1-3 hours while 2 pass software takes me 6-7 hours last I checked.

Comment

rekd0514 - although dvdfab uses only 1 pass - the 1 pass is still quicker than the first pass on a 2 pass x264 encode and much quicker than a single pass x264 encode.
            dvd9 x264 2 pass - takes me 6-8 hrs.
            I would like to use dvdfab to shorten this but not until the size calculation is more accurate.

Comment

I am surprised it takes you that much time with a quad core even. My dual core E8400 OCed at 4.0ghz is that fast. The 2 pass does seem to look a little better from my tests with the movie Walle. The shorten time is definitely nice though.

Comment

Time taken with x264 varies not only from system to system but also depending apon the parameters you use. I use Ripbot64 which uses quite demanding encoding values - but produces excellent quality movies. Dvdfab with CUDA acceleration is a newer method and seems much faster for little quality loss. A great compromise if the size calculations are accurate.

Comment

That is what I have been using in tests as well. I think the movie length changes the time to encode it as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X