Forced Subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subtitles

Any further news on the problem - or lack of - forced subtitles in BluRay to DVD

BluRay Ripper has the option to display only forced subtitles, but BluRay to DVD is still missing this option.

Is it going to be implemented soon so that we can make proper backups of our BluRays?

Hi

You can specify your desired subpicture by the arrow icon.This "Default Arrow" can be moved to other subpictures by clicking the left of the checkbox for the item. Clicking on the arrow itself turns the default off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cici Jia; 03-02-2011, 02:39 AM.

Comment

The image is actually an illustration of how to create a default subtitle, not really a forced one, since it will turn on all subpics in the stream, not just the ones of translations or other features that may use forced start commands. I thought this was working already in BD to DVD. ?? cici, please ask the boss.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

As I thought I rememebred, it does work. I just tried chapter 12 of the Avatar 2D Blu-ray and the forced subs appear and play as they should in the DVD converted output. As with the Rippers, you must include the sub stream that has the forced subs in the conversion. See the attached which shows DVDSubEdit analyzing the stream of the DVD, set to show only forced subs.
        Attached Files
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Not getting it to work with the new version of Karate Kid. Chapter 6 has forced subtitles attached to the first subtitle track. If you have this selected when doing the conversion all the subtitles are shown for both the english speaking and foreign.

Comment

You must have the "default Arrow" turned on. All you want is the checkmark in the checkbox, with NO arrow to the left of the box, i.e. NOT duplicating the setup image that cici_Jia posted. I don't have the Karate Kid BD, but I'll see if I can find it to test.

Comment

Hello Signals

I just had the first subtitle box ticked. I did not have the default 'Blue' arrow turned on

Comment

I will continue to look for the disc you are using to test it. I know it works correctly with Avatar.

//EDIT// I will have a copy of it tomorrow I think.

Comment

I have tested this now and it works perfectly at least with the Region A (US) version of the movie. I made a DVD conversion of chapter 6 only and the forced subs (and no others) display correctly on playback. I also converted the DVD folder to iPhone4 with DVD Ripper and it recognizes and renders the forced subs (only) correctly. Please check your settings, the default arrow is easy to set accidentally, especially if the subpicture stream is highlighted in blue, and would produce the exact symptoms you describe. I also checked the DVD folder output with DVDSubEdit which also recognized the forced subs correctly.

Comment

I'll try encoding the chapter again, and burn to a disc to try on a normal DVD player.

I was playing it back with PowerDVD and it just played all the subs including the forced. I did not have the default arrow selected just had the first subtitle track ticked. I also tried VLC (but that, by default has subs turned off - when enabled it shows all the subtitles including the forced)

I am using the UK version of the bluray (not that it should make any difference?)

I'll try again and do a similar test to you by reburning the converted DVD folder with DVD ripper

Comment

Just did another test - used the latest Beta (8.0.7.8) the end result played through PowerDVD played all the subs - but playing through Windows Media Player just played the forced subs :-)

Re rendering the converted DVD in DVD Ripper to an MKV with burnt in subs also just showed the forced subtitles.

Must be an issue with PowerDVD - sorry about that one :-(

Comment

I played the DVD files I made on TMT 5. The US/UK version thing could make a difference.

If you ever had the English subs turned on in PowerDVD for that file or disc, it will remember that and play them the next time you watch that movie. Right click on the screen and disable the subs and only the forced ones should appear.

Comment

The method from Signals does work with District 9. If you play the result in PowerDVD, you have to select None in the PDVD subtitles to see just the forced ones.

So overall this method looks like the way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X