Merging DL problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging DL problems

I am having a lot of difficulties in trying to combine a DL disk and a SL disk onto a new DL.
    but before i get into details, i should say that i don't know if i am in the correct forum for this question.
    i have read everything i can find in the forums about merge problems, including the proper merge procedure.
    everything goes well until it comes to burn time, then i get the "this is a good time to cry" message in imgburn.

little help or re-direction please.

Help Us Help You

If you are posting about an operational problem with one of the DVDFab products, you will improve the speed and accuracy of the response by providing some information in the very first post that will probably be needed.

First, make note of any error codes or messages that appear in popup boxes and put them in your post. Information on error codes that appear in the DVDFab UI are captured in one of the logs we request below.

DVDFab keeps logs of its activities that supply basic system information and can help pinpoint where and when an error happened and help pinpoint the cause. The default location for these logs on most Windows systems is:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

The logs are simple text files that can be opened with Windows Notepad if you want to read them. If the size exceeds the forum’s attachment size limit, you may need to delete older entries or copy and paste the relevant ones into a new file. The log files can be attached to a post using the "Manage Attachments" button below the editing box.

dvdfab_burn_vso.log Attach for all problems. The entries are time stamped with the most recent at the top.

dvdfab_burn_imgburn.log Attach if you have ImgBurn set as the burning engine and the problem concerns disc burning. Time stamped with the most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_process.log Attach if DVDFab crashes and the crash report window does not come up or complete correctly or if internal error codes appear in the DVDFab window (“Task Failed…”). Time stamped, most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_internal.log Attach for all problems. Time stamped, most recent at the bottom. Please edit to include only the most recent or relevant log session.

Other Information:

Depending on the nature of the problem, it can help to know:
    If this happens with all discs or just one
    Your operating system/CPU/memory configuration
    If you are using external hard drives or optical drives
    If you have made any recent changes to your OS or system hardware
    If you have other DVD or BD software installed, particularly if recently added.

Posts with all the requested information will be answered first.

Comment

Combining DL & SL on new DL problem

ok. attached is a segment of the log. i have the whole thing if needed.

here is what i did. ripped a DL movie into a VTS folder. this was disk 1 of 2.
      ripped disk 2 (a SL) into a VTS folder. by VTS folder i mean one that contains the VOB's.

opened the first VTS folder in DvdShrink and trimmed off the "insert disk 2" at the end, and saved to a new VTS folder.

Opened DvdFab, and used merge to combine the VTS/VOB's onto a DVD9 disk. DvdFab ground away merrily for about 25 min., got to 100%, then switched to ImgBurn. that is when i got the message "this is a good time to cry", or something like that.

it seems that it doesn't have a good spot for the layer break.

what am i doing wrong ?
      Attached Files

Comment

How many titles are in the merged volume? Did you have "remove layer break" checked when you did the rip of the first disc (the DL)? I think I would suggest that you write the output of Merge to a volume on your HDD so that you can mess with it some before burning. I don't remember ever getting that message and I've done lots of merges, it may be related to the content or the way they were put together. That being said, the last one I did was back with v7, so some problem may have crept in. I will try one myself and see what Img thinks.

//EDIT//
        The one I tried worked fine with lots of green and blue stars for suggested breaks, but the two parts of the merge were the same size, so that would be expected. What was the size of the VTS from the 1st disc you were merging? If it was almost the entire DL that may be the problem. One solution might be to break the original VTS into two using Customize Split, then join all 3 volumes using Merge. This will go much faster if all the Merge sources are on your hard drive.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Just 2 titles - GFather p2 disk 1 & 2.
          yes, disk one is about 2 hrs, disk two is 1 hr 20 min.

i did have "remove layer break" checked in dvdshrink.

do you mean break disk 1 in half, to end up with aprrox. three 1 hr segments ?

then merge all 3 on the HDD ?

Comment

After posting my reply, i tried to split folder 1 (which is disk 1), but custom split won't run completely.
            it gets as far as showing the split titles in a bar at the bottom, but no matter how often i press start, it just sits there.

Comment

looks like i wasn't using custom split properly. let me finish the tutorial and try again and get back to you.

Comment

well that didn't turn out well.

i couldn't figure out how (having read the tutorial) to use custom split to split 1 title (movie disk 1 of 2 - as i said, ripped to a VTS folder). then i read the tutorial on using split. that seemed like the thing to do.

so i split VTS 1 (disk 1 of 2 hrs length) into two parts. after splitting, i played part 1. it looked good, but stuck a DVDFAB logo at the end with the message insert disk 2. that can't be good.

carrying on, i used merge to combine split 1, split 2, and the VTS folder of original disk 2 to the HDD. seemed to work.
                but when i played the newly merged VTS folder (in nero showtime) the dvdfab logo and "insert disk 2" displayed, then it stuttered at the next part (2 of 3), and played in very slow motion.

then i tried to imgburn the merged VTS folder, and got the "start crying" message.

i'm stumped. any thoughts ?

Comment

I think you did what I suggested, but I'm not sure. I have that disc or one like it somewhere. I will try to find it and try it also. You can select "black screen" in Common Settings->Split, Default CGP to eliminate the message.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

thanks for taking an interest.

i went back and re-split the big VTS folder (and eliminated the logo screen this time).

now i have VTS 1 of 1 hr 12 min, VTS 2 of 54 min, and VTS 3 of 1 hr 13 min.
                    all three play fine in showtime.

so i tried merging VTS 1 & VTS 2 (the ones i had just split apart). after dvdfab finished, i played the combined VTS in showtime. same problem ; immediately after the point of re-combination, it plays in very slow motion, jerkily.

then i tried merging VTS 2 & VTS 3. the merged VTS played fine.

so it seems that there is a problem in the split. maybe i don't have a setting right. maybe at the bottom of the split screen i shouldn't have unchecked "preserve menu on disk 2", or maybe i should have checked "jump to split title when disk inserted".

i am holding off trying imgburn until i can figure out how to do split & merge correctly.

Comment

I got out another DL movie i have, tokyo story, and split it.
                      both halves play fine with showtime.

merged them back together - same problem. at re-combine point, only slow motion, and jerky.

i hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X