X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripping to 1 consolidated file [big time newbie question]

Hi,

I am ripping my DVDs to an external hard drive and I was wondering:

Is it possible to rip each DVD to, like, 1 consolidated file rather than a zillion little files - or is that not how it works?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by wesley4 View Post
    Hi,

I am ripping my DVDs to an external hard drive and I was wondering:

Is it possible to rip each DVD to, like, 1 consolidated file rather than a zillion little files - or is that not how it works?

Thanks in advance.
    No, that's not how it works, but yes it is possible.
    Firstly, why do you want to do this?
    and how exactly do you plan on playing back these files?

You can use DVD Ripper and create 1 large .VOB file using what essentially is .VOB passthrough mode
    But again, why? and how are you going to view the files?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I will (hopefully) be playing it through Windows Media Player or WinDVD.

I just want to simplify playback - that's all.

Thanks

Comment

maybe the best procedure for you to use is to rip it to an ISO (Disk Image) file and use Fab's Virtual Drive to mount the ISO when/if necessary.

There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding this procedure.

Originally posted by wesley4 View Post
        I will (hopefully) be playing it through Windows Media Player or WinDVD.

I just want to simplify playback - that's all.

Thanks
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi,I maybe able to help you to play the films stored on your hard drive very simply with Windows Media Player,
          Firstly I am assuming that you can play DVD's loaded in your disk drive with WMPlayer OK ?
          Now go into the Default Programs set up (found in the start menu in Vista),click on select a file type with a program,(wait till it loads), go down the list and click on .ifo file,click on change program,click on Windows Media Player (you may have to click on open other programs), click OK,(wait till it loads) click close.
          The rest is fairly straight forward;- just go into the VIDEO_TS folder of every film (one at a time),click & open the context menu of the VIDEO_TS .ifo file (usually near the top of file list),click on create shortcut, rename it with film title, then cut and paste the shortcut to a new folder (same hard drive where the films are stored), then, when you want to play a film, just double click on any of the shortcuts,and the film will play in WMPlayer just like a DVD,
          Good Luck PS-- screenshots attatched
          Attached Files

Comment

WinDVD (and PowerDVD and TMT etc.) will play them just by double clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file if the file associations are set. Think of DVDs as folders not as files. FABFANATIC's trick with making the shortcuts is a good idea.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their contributions - I'm going to try FABFANATIC's idea.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X