Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to know some basics!!

Hi Guys

Can somebody answer the following basic questions for me please?

The specs of the PC that I am using is 3.17 ghz and 4 gb RAM. Windows XP and system is basically "new" as Windows has been completely reinstalled some months ago.

1. How long should a copy of a DVD take? When I use DVD Copy - Main Movie, a copy takes about 80 minutes...is this normal?

2. The "use DMS if Available" is set for all IDE channels. When I went to look at the dvdfab_burn_vso.log to see if DMA is being used, I could not find it! The option "Enable Burning Log" is checked...any ideas?

3. What is the fastest method to just copy the main movie of a DVD?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
    Regards
    Lateral

Is this a 2.17 ghz Dual Core CPU or single core? Either way 80 minutes is way too long for a Copy and Burn of Main Movie only. Did you try the Reset DMA in Common Settings-General of DVDFab? If you did not give that a try to see if speed the process up

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have Reset DMA. That's why I want to check the dvdfab_burn_vso.log to see if it is using DMA and not PIO.

Any idea why I can't find the dvdfab_burn_vso.log file?

Comment

Might try installing Imgburn and burning a movie outside of DVDFab to see what the result would be. Normally a burn would run in the neighborhood of 8-12 minutes. CPU has hardly anything to do with it, a single core would burn as fast as a quad core. Burning barely uses the cpu.
        I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Hi guys

I think I have figured out what the issue is.

I have a DVD drive (Drive A) internal to the PC that I use for "output" and a USB DVD drive (Drive B) that I use for input.......

If I use Imgburn to create an ISO file on the Hard Drive and use Drive A as input then it is very fast.....6 minutes. if I then use Imgburn to burn the ISO file onto an empty DVD using Drive A as the output drive, then that takes about 7 minutes.

If I do the same test using Drive B (the USB drive) then it takes about 80 minutes....

So, basically, it appears that the USB DVD drive is causing the issue and I really should install a second internal DVD drive...

Thanks for your help
          Regards
          Lateral

Comment

No, you probably just need to change the drive letter of BOTH drives to something below C: in the alphabet. You BIOS treats A: and B: as floppy drives.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

If I do the same test using Drive B (the USB drive) then it takes about 80 minutes....
              Sounds as a ver 1.x USB unit.

Comment

Could be.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
                  Sounds as a ver 1.x USB unit.
                  or a riplocked drive

Comment

Just to clarify, the actual Drive letters are H: and I: and I am sure that the issue relates to the use of a USB DVD drive for the input drive.

I will simply install another internal DVD drive of the same specifications as the existing internal drive and I am sure that that will fix the issue and I will be able to copy DVD's quickly.....

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

is this a LG or LiteOn DVD Drive?

Comment

It's an LG GSA-2166D DVD Drive.....

Comment

More than likely this is down to one of 2 issues (maybe both, but I doubt it).

moonie2001:
                          "...a riplocked drive"

Gummigutta:
                          "Sounds as a ver 1.x USB unit"

I'm pretty sure sure your LG is riplocked. It's easy enough to flash your drive with patched firmware.

Also definitely check into Gummi's suggestion re: your usb ports.
                          Hard to believe that your ports aren't at least 2.0, but you posted minimal specs...just cpu, RAM and OS.

It's definitely not DMA since your usb controller will serve as the drive's master and not the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Comment

ok guys,

Here is the latest update and my solution.

I have done various tests etc and have decided that for some reason, the LG USB DVD drive is behaving strangely. This is evident by the fact that when I unplug and replug it into a Windows XP PC, I receive the message saying "that this device will operate faster plugged into a High Speed USB Port".

I tried it in every USB port with the same result. The DVD Drive is supposed to be USB 2.0 and Device Manager says that the USB ports in the PC are also 2.0.

So, unless anybody has a solution, it looks like I will simply use the internal DVD drive for both input and output as it takes about 16 minutes to burn a DVD.

Thanks
                            Regards
                            Lateral

Comment

Reinstall usb 2 drivers.
                              Be certain you're running XP with SP3

Comment

Working...
                              X