X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging a "Flipper" Disk

Using 6.2.0.5...

I'm having problems merging the Dances With Wolves disk into a single ISO file.

I had already copied the two sides of the DVD to separate folders, and specified these folders as sources for the merge. The combined size should be 11.25gb, but the resulting file is only 8gb. I want the entire uncompressed 11gb resulting ISO file, but it won't give it to me.

I haven't tried running the ISO to see if I get the entire movie, but regardless of that outcome, I want it completely uncompressed.

There is no way I can find to tell DvdFab to ignore the maximum disk size of 8gb.

DVDFab won't allow sizes that large. I ran into the same thing with Schlinder's List. At one time you could set DVDFab for a 10000MB DVD-9 size and there was something in the release notes recently about changes to the size settings.

Originally posted by jsimmons View Post
    Using 6.2.0.5...

I'm having problems merging the Dances With Wolves disk into a single ISO file.

I had already copied the two sides of the DVD to separate folders, and specified these folders as sources for the merge. The combined size should be 11.25gb, but the resulting file is only 8gb. I want the entire uncompressed 11gb resulting ISO file, but it won't give it to me.

I haven't tried running the ISO to see if I get the entire movie, but regardless of that outcome, I want it completely uncompressed.

There is no way I can find to tell DvdFab to ignore the maximum disk size of 8gb.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I tried using VOBEdit/IFOEdit according to the instructions I found on a web site, but all that does is screw up the playback. I have to manually select each subsequent chapter to see the entire movie.

Not allowing an ISO file to be made that's bigger than 8gb is arbitrary and shortsighted. What's the point in having a merge capability that won't let you merge without compression?

Comment

Originally posted by jsimmons View Post
        I tried using VOBEdit/IFOEdit according to the instructions I found on a web site, but all that does is screw up the playback. I have to manually select each subsequent chapter to see the entire movie.

Not allowing an ISO file to be made that's bigger than 8gb is arbitrary and shortsighted. What's the point in having a merge capability that won't let you merge without compression?
        It may be inconvenient but is not arbitrary. It is done that way so that it is impossible to produce output that is not compliant with the DVD-Video standard or that can't be burned to a DVD-9. I would suggest you put a mention of this in the Feature Request sub-forum. I will second it.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Until such a feature is implemented and if you don't want to wait, you can use DvdShrink's Reauthor mode to merge with no compression. It's just similar to DvdFab's Merge feature without the compression requirement. Both DvdShrink and DvdFab Merge features will not retain original menus.

Comment

Originally posted by toaddub View Post
            Until such a feature is implemented and if you don't want to wait, you can use DvdShrink's Reauthor mode to merge with no compression. It's just similar to DvdFab's Merge feature without the compression requirement. Both DvdShrink and DvdFab Merge features will not retain original menus.
            When I rip a movie to hard disk, I just get the movie. I'm not at all interested in the menus or extras. Thanks for the info about DVDShrink. I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              It may be inconvenient but is not arbitrary. It is done that way so that it is impossible to produce output that is not compliant with the DVD-Video standard or that can't be burned to a DVD-9. I would suggest you put a mention of this in the Feature Request sub-forum. I will second it.
              I'm not burning a DVD - I'm creating an ISO file for use on my HTPC.

I did submit it to the suggestions forum, and being a developer myself, I see it as an arbitrary decision because there is certainly no technical reason the feature couldn't be provided. If the merged (and uncompressed) ISO results in something larger than what a disc will hold, simply put up a dialog box that a) informs the user of that fact, and b) give them the opportunity to either compress the resulting ISO so that it will fit, or simply put the uncompressed ISO into a folder on the hard drive.

Comment

Working...
              X