This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying & Writing Recordings from TV

I have made several recordings onto a DVD from various television shows (i.e. most recently, HBO's Mildred Pierce). A friend of mine wanted a copy so I sent her the originals made from my TV to the DVD, and kept for myself the copies made through DVDFab. When my friend received her copies, her Samsung DVD player would not recognize the discs made with my Toshiba DVD recorder/player. This seems to happen everytime I do this.

So my questions is this...should I have sent her the copies made through DVDFab instead of my originals? Would the program adjust and correct whatever incompatibilities my DVD recorder/player might have with my friend's (or any other's), and should the copy made from DVDFAb play on just about any DVD player? If DVDFab does not automatically correct recordings like this, is there another way to do this within DVDFab's program?

Thank you.

The discs you made with the Toshiba were probably not finalized. This is an extra step on many standalone recorders. Discs made with DVDFab should play on any player if you chose the right blank media (+R vs. -R).

Giving away copies like this probably violates copyright law almost aywhere, but perhaps not where you are located. Please read this: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...=newpost&t=122 before posting about what you do with copies.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have recorded hundreds of television programs onto DVDs and assure you, they were finalized.

So are you saying that the copies that were made with DVDFab should play, even though the "finalized" originals did not, and that all I need to do is to ask my friend if her Samsung accepts + or - R and then use those discs when making the copy with DVDFab?

And copying a television show onto a DVD (as we used to do with VHS recorders) is in violation if you loan it to a friend to watch? I did not know that. Seems like people have been doing that for decades in some form or another, whether it be video or audio cassettes, or cds and dvds. Interesting.

Comment

The DVD authoring of the Toshiba may be less than ideal. It is also possible that the writing was done poorly (too fast maybe). Since the Toshiba discs are unlikely to have any type of copy protection, DVDFab is probably not doing anything special. The copies may just be written better using your PC.

Making a temporary recording (VHS or disc) in order to time-shift a program may very well fall under "fair use" depending on who you ask. Keeping that copy permanently and/or giving it to someone else is not likely to qualify. We are not the copyright police but DVDFab is intended to be used in "fair use" situations.

Comment

The DVD authoring of the Toshiba may be less than ideal. It is also possible that the writing was done poorly (too fast maybe). Since the Toshiba discs are unlikely to have any type of copy protection, DVDFab is probably not doing anything special. The copies may just be written better using your PC.
          I'm sorry, but I really don't follow this nor can I determine an answer/solution to my question/problem from it. FYI...My write speed with DVDFab is set at 8x.

Let me try asking it a different way...Are the chances better that the disc copied and writed from the original [with DVDFab] will play on the Samsung, or do I still need to determine if her Samsung requires DVD+Rs and then try recopying and rewriting [with DVDFab] from the original onto that disc? Or will neither make a difference if the original won't even play. I guess ultimately what I'm asking is, is there anything I can try at all that might work?

Comment

We can only guess what the problem is. The point about write speed is that you may or may not be able to control it on the Toshiba but you can control it on the PC so that may give you a better chance.

Since you did not try the DVDFab copy on the Samsung then you don't have any clue what the problem is. It may be that the Toshiba authoring is bad and DVDFab copies that authoring (menu, titles, etc) as-is and neither will work.

Comment

Copying & Writing Recordings from TV

now here is a thought, a few months ago i read don't remember where that a dvd video recorder that resords for the tv will only work on the machine that burnet the dvd. its possible that is what is happening in this case. just a thought.

Comment

That is interesting, but I have loaned dvds I have recorded from my TV to others with no problems, they have played on their units. It's just this friend's Samsung so far I've run into trouble with. Therefore I thought if I made a copy from DVDFab then that copied disc might work.

Comment

Originally posted by dtbm51 View Post
                  That is interesting, but I have loaned dvds I have recorded from my TV to others with no problems, they have played on their units. It's just this friend's Samsung so far I've run into trouble with. Therefore I thought if I made a copy from DVDFab then that copied disc might work.
                  Since you have ignored what you were told in post #2 and post #4 about your violating copyright laws this thread is now closed.

Comment

Working...
                  X