DVDFab doesn't detect the disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab doesn't detect the disc

For some reason DVDFab no longer detects a DVD disc when inserted nor does it detect when I remove the disc.

What I've found is this:

With DVDFab started before I insert a DVD disc the DVD is not "seen" by DVDFab nor when looking in Windows Explorer

With DVDFab NOT started the DVD disc is seen just fine in Windows Explorer and also in DVDFab when starting DVDFab after the disc has "popped up" in Windows Explorer

Before I got this problem when I ejected the disc having DVDFab running DVDFab would immediately detect when the disc was ejected and replace the title in the 'Source' box with the standard message 'Please insert DVD...' however now the title of the DVD remains although the DVD has been ejected.

I realize this could be both a hardware, OS or application problem but considering all DVDs are seen without any problems as long as I don't have DVDFab running when inserting the DVD to me that points in the direction that it's a DVDFab problem.

Any ideas...?

I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling DVDFab but still same problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi WebMaximus,

Please try to install DVDFab 8.0.8.8 Beta at

to see the result.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 system, please run DVDFab program as Administrator.

Regards,
    mona
    Last edited by sunny; 04-25-2011, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Sorry I missed your reply and haven't answered until now.

Anyway, I'm now using DVDFab 8 Qt version 8.0.9.8 and I'm running it as Administrator but the problem remains. My OS is Win7 Ultimate x64.

Comment

PLEASE...I still have this problem and I've had it for quite some time and different DVDFab versions now. I'm currently using version 8.1.05 and for every DVDFab update I'm hoping for this problem to go away but still no joy...

Having to always close DVDFab and then restart it as soon as I switch DVD is really annoying and I only have this problem with DVDFab started. If I don't have DVDFab running all DVDs are detected just fine both when inserted/ejected.

Would really appreciate some help here.

With hopefull wishes for a solution to this problem,

Richard

Comment

Please install ImgBurn if you do not have it already. (It is free). From the ImgBurn Menu, select Tools->Filter driver load order. On the page that opens, click the Copy to Clipboard button at the bottom. Paste this information into a post. This is something perculiar to your machine, possibly a conflict with other software, which the information from ImgBurn may help identify.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

This is the result

===============================================
            Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.5.0
            ===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
            Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
            Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
            Lower Class Filter: [None Found]
            Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM
            File Name: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys
            File Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
            File Description: CD DVD Filter
            Product Name: CD DVD Filter
            Product Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
            Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
            Copyright: Copyright (C) GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Comment

Hi WebMaximus
              Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
              This filter has been known to cause problems.
              If it were me I would go back into ImgBurn click on the filter and select remove filter.
              You may have to reboot your system.
              Note: what ever program installed this filter may no longer work properly and you acknowledge this an take full responsibility for deleting it.
              Hope this helps
              CBR929
              Last edited by CBR929; 07-14-2011, 02:16 AM.
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Tried removing the filter and rebooted my PC but still same problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the fact that I only see this problem with DVDFab doesn't that indicate the problem indeed is with DVDFab? Like I said in earlier posts all DVDs inserted/removed are detected just fine in all other programs like WMP, Explorer etc. It's ONLY when I have DVDFab running I see this problem. To further clarify it's not just in DVDFab an inserted DVD isn't detected if I have DVDFab running. For example...if I launch DVDFab, then launch Explorer and then insert a DVD the DVD won't be detected not only in DVDFab itself but nor in Explorer. However If I don't have DVDFab running and then insert a DVD it's detected just fine in Explorer and Explorer will also detect when the DVD is ejected.

So...the only way I can use DVDFab currently with this problem is to always insert the DVD before I start DVDFab and wait until it has been detected in Explorer and then I can start DVDFab and DVDFab will detect the DVD and start analyzing it. Then once the DVD has been copied I need to close DVDFab and do the same process again if I want to copy another DVD. If I keep DVDFab running the DVD title will still be present in DVDFab even after the DVD has been physically removed from the DVD drive since DVDFab for some weird reason doesn't detect that the DVD has been ejected.

To me it seems like DVDFab in some way blocks the built-in detection for insertion/removal of DVDs in Windows...?!
                Last edited by WebMaximus; 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM. Reason: Wrote some more information regarding my problem

Comment

Originally posted by WebMaximus View Post
                  Tried removing the filter and rebooted my PC but still same problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the fact that I only see this problem with DVDFab doesn't that indicate the problem indeed is with DVDFab? Like I said in earlier posts all DVDs inserted/removed are detected just fine in all other programs like WMP, Explorer etc. It's ONLY when I have DVDFab running I see this problem. To further clarify it's not just in DVDFab an inserted DVD isn't detected if I have DVDFab running. For example...if I launch DVDFab, then launch Explorer and then insert a DVD the DVD won't be detected not only in DVDFab itself but nor in Explorer. However If I don't have DVDFab running and then insert a DVD it's detected just fine in Explorer and Explorer will also detect when the DVD is ejected.

So...the only way I can use DVDFab currently with this problem is to always insert the DVD before I start DVDFab and wait until it has been detected in Explorer and then I can start DVDFab and DVDFab will detect the DVD and start analyzing it. Then once the DVD has been copied I need to close DVDFab and do the same process again if I want to copy another DVD. If I keep DVDFab running the DVD title will still be present in DVDFab even after the DVD has been physically removed from the DVD drive since DVDFab for some weird reason doesn't detect that the DVD has been ejected.

To me it seems like DVDFab in some way blocks the built-in detection for insertion/removal of DVDs in Windows...?!

I don't like disagreeing with you, but your assessment of the problem (that it's a DVDFab problem) is wrong.

It makes absolutely no sense that considering the length of time and effort put into developing and refining this program, that deliberately (or not) making it next to impossible to recognize an inserted DVD in the OS this was written for, is an application problem.

I suspect that you've either picked up a piece of malware or your AntiVirus program itself could be the cause of the problem.

Fab is in conflict with something on your system for control of the DVD drive... we just have to figure out what that is...

Are you sure Fab was installed 'as Administrator' correctly? It won't run properly unless it was installed correctly...

DC

Comment

Of course DVDFab wasn't developed to make it impossible for the OS to detect a DVD is inserted, I just find it strange why I don't see this problem with any other applications such as Windows own Explorer.

Anyway I will try a complete reinstall of DVDFab making sure to do it as admin and will report back the outcome.

Comment

WebMax
                      Please consider that no one else seems to be reporting this problem. Try turning Autoplay off in Windows control panel.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I'm more than willing to consider almost anything at this moment and my intention has in no way been to say DVDFab isn't a great application. I've been using it alot for several years now and I've never had a problem with it until I started this post with the exception for a few single DVD titles. I consider my 'Never expire' license for DVDFab money very well spent.

Anyway I have now completely removed DVDFab first by using the standard uninstall via 'Programs and Features' under the Control Panel in Win 7 and I then rebooted my PC.

After that I manually removed all left-over entries in the Registry and also all files and folders that were not removed automatically by the uninstallation program making sure my PC was 100% clean from any old and/or corrupt DVDFab stuff.

I then installed DVDFab by right-clicking the DVDFab8105Qt.exe file and chose 'Run As Administrator' and finished the installation. After this I launched DVDFab, again as Administrator (I also have UAC disabled) and I also put my license in but still no joy...the very same problem with no DVDs detected when inserted nor ejected. However when inserted/ejected without DVDFab running they are detected just fine both when inserted/ejected 10 out of 10 times.

I have also tried playing with the 'AutoPlay' features in Windows but to no avail.

Not sure what else I could try so I guess I'll just have to learn with the fact I must always insert a DVD before I launch DVDFab and then close DVDFab and insert a new DVD and then launch DVDFab again if I want to copy a second DVD. Not that much of a big deal but of course it's very annoying and I would be more than happy if I could find a way to solve this problem, especially since I've been using DVDFab for years without this problem.

Comment

It would be very annoying, I agree. Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions for you or an upcoming release will take care of the problem. DVDFab is not perfect. Yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X