Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the expected read speed from a dvd copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the expected read speed from a dvd copy?

Most are in the 4-5MB/s, some are 7MB/s.
    I have no idea what to compare it to, what is the theoretical read(transfer) speed of a 12x? I assume most commercial dvds are DVD+-R DL, right, hence the 12x. If they are DVD+-R my drive can do 24x.

I have all the "Remove annoying stuff" options on. Does that has an impact on it?

Ask if info is needed, thanks for your time

This will vary depending on many factors, such as the capabilities of your drive, internal bus speeds, and DVDFab settings. Compressing the content (DVD-9 to DVD-5) will make it seem slower. The quality of the pressing and type of reflective layer on the disc also matter, sometimes greatly. My drive for instance will read most discs at a peak speed of 10.5 MB/s, which is around 8X. Some originals though max out at 5 MB/s, even new ones. The speed will also vary depending on the position being read, with the highest speeds near the end of single layer discs and near the layer break on DLs. In drive specs, the DVD-ROM read speed is not necessarily the DVD-Video read speed, and not all manufaturers provide the DVD-Video read speed (which is usually slower) so it is hard to know what to expect.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you, informative answer

I was unsure if my speeds were unusually slow but it seems they are normal enough. I guess I just have bad pressings hehe. I copy with no compression and full copies. I just did two which had 11+MB/s so the drive can get up there so it must be the other discs. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi micnolmad
        If you have and IDE drive and start to get very low read and burn speeds your drive my have fallen into PIO mode, this happens after 6 CRC errors and you will have to reset your drive back to Ultra DMA mode for it to function properly.
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

If they are DVD+-R my drive can do 24x.
          Write speed, perhaps.

Comment

Working...
          X