This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.2.0.5 Discs/ISOs unplayable in Win7 WMP

This was a new one for me since I have always been able to play the discs or mount the ISOs and have no issue. When I installed Win7, I upgraded to 6.2.0.5. Everything that I have backed up since I cannot play on my PC. I can burn it and it plays perfectly on my 360 & DVD player but nada on the PC. It lays out all of the titles & chapters, but doesn't play any of them.

I do Full Disc backups, pathplayer is always on. I usually change the playback order & remove PCGs.

This is happening on all of my Win7 machines. Pre 6.2.0.5 ISOs still mount and play great.

Anyone else having this issue, or perhaps point me in a direction to look at.

I have Win7 32bit, Adobe CS3 Master, Nero 8, iTunes, Zune & MediaMonkey.
    TIA

Try dowloading VLC media player, it's free and it has always mounted and played any iso I've tried. If it plays with VLC we'll know it's not Fab.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

I am having similar problems. I did a full disc rip with no changes and it played fine in Windows 7 MCE. I ripped the same disc again and had changed playback order to play main movie first and remove pgcs, it won't play. I get the error "DVD Error Windows Media Center cannot play this DVD. Restart Windows Media Center and insert the DVD again."

I ripped the same disc again with only option to remove PGC's and it plays fine. Apparently it is the changing of the play order that causes problems. I am using DVDFab 6.2.0.5.

Comment

As 90312 asked, do these disks play correctly using VLC and also do they play correctly in a set top DVD player?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have not burned them to disc. Instead I have ripped them to VIDEO_TS folder. VLC will play the VOB files of the ones ripped with the change DVD playback order, however it ignores the playback order and simply plays VTS_01_0 first followed by VTS_01_1, etc. In VLC when I open the folder that contains the audio_ts and video_ts subfolders it plays the vts files as mentioned before. If in VLC I try to open the video_ts folder directly I get a runtime error and VLC crashes.

Comment

I have had the same issue. I have removed and reinstalled WMC on Windows 7 several times. All copying done by 6.2.0.5 are unplayable; only those prior to that installation work/are playable on WMC.

Comment

I have noticed the same thing. PowerDVD willl not read my copies since installing v6.2.0.5. I notice that Media Player will read it (XP), but it shows "Unknown DVD" instead of the DVD title.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd7 View Post
                I have not burned them to disc. Instead I have ripped them to VIDEO_TS folder. VLC will play the VOB files of the ones ripped with the change DVD playback order, however it ignores the playback order and simply plays VTS_01_0 first followed by VTS_01_1, etc. In VLC when I open the folder that contains the audio_ts and video_ts subfolders it plays the vts files as mentioned before. If in VLC I try to open the video_ts folder directly I get a runtime error and VLC crashes.
                I think you need to play the parent folder of VIDEO_TS for VLC to work properly. If you have C:\Movies\MyMovie\VIDEO_TS then play C:\Movies\MyMovie in VLC. Playing the VIDEO_TS folder instead would be one reason that VLC would try to play the VTS files directly. The only other reason is that for some reason you are missing the IFO files in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Comment

It will play with VLC if you tell it to play the parent folder like Complication suggested. However I told DVDFab to make it play the main title first and instead VLC plays the menu.

I have tried DVDFab beta 6.2.1.0 and when I try to alter the play order, it won't play in Windows 7 Media Center.

Comment

Same issue as Todd7 here. Win7 Media Center will not play folders where the playback order was changed. It is looking like I can either redo the rips if I want to use Media Center-some 300 plus DVD's so I'm sure digging around first. Or convert to a different file format I suppose. Hate that, I'm one who rips a DVD immediately and puts it up on the shelf out of the way of the four destroyers of media around here I call children. Don't want to save duplicate formats either...damn. I'm new at this, so any input is much appreciated.

Update: It is not all of them - I had done a random sampling across the last 6 months or so and none had worked and I assumed, but it turns out that was just chance. Many and maybe most are not working, but certainly not all. Can't find the common thread though - it doesn't seem to matter what year the movie was made or which version of DVDFab I was using at the time, the oldest being 5.2.5.0 and the most recent 6.2.1.8.
                    Last edited by sbgardner; 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

If you want to dig in a bit then you might try googling for an IFO editor/fixer. It sounds like media center is a bit picky. It is possible that DVDFab is leaving something behind that normal DVD players just ignore.

Comment

I don't use Media Center, but players like VLC that have settings for how to play the DVD files (i.e. use menu or play main movie) are confused by the DVDFab "jump to" options. These options were designed for standalone players or PC software players that emulate them more precisely than VLC or Media Center does (e.g. WinDVD). Instead of re-ripping, I think you could fix these problem files pretty easily with PGCEdit, but you will need to develop some knowledge of DVD structure if you are not already familiar with it.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the replies Complication and signals - I get it on the players. I'm not familiar with DVD structure except in the most basic way, but I can learn. I'll go dig into PGCEdit and see what I can figure out.

Comment

Working...
                          X