Internal Preview Still Crashes on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal Preview Still Crashes on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

As of v8.1.3.2 and ever since v8, I have been unable to use the "Preview" feature. The internal one seems to simply crash, while the DirectX (using DVDFab decoder) hangs when selecting a different title. As I generally do not copy a full disc, the preview feature is a must have.

I have submitted a few crash reports when attempting to use the internal viewer, but when the DirectX hangs, I do not get that option.

What other information do you need to get this problem resolved?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT display adapter (driver version 8.17.12.8026 dated 8/3/2011). I am current on all Microsoft updates.

I have been installing new versions over the existing ones. Do I need to uninstall and do a clean install?

Unchecking "Show preview window automatically" (and/or "Play selected source automatically") along with turning off (unchecking) "Enable DXVA Acceleration" and switching the Video Decoder to "ffdshow Video Decoder" allows me to sometimes successfully preview a title. Before selecting another title, I must stop the current playback, wait awhile, select the next title, wait awhile, then play the next one.

I seem to have a better success rate by doing the above; however, it still crashes quit often. The big thing seems to be not moving the mouse too quickly and stopping the current playback before selecting and playing the next title.

Please try running "dxdiag" to check your DirectX installation and see what version it is and test your video adapter. I can't duplicate your problem, Preview is very stable for me selecting "Internal" in Common Settings in v8.1.3.2, also with win 7 (64).
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

dxdiag reports the DirectX Version of 11. I went ahead and updated to the latest NVIDIA driver (285.62).

Tried the "internal" preview. Still crashes (re-submitted another crash report).

Comment

The crash reports have all the info they will need to look at this. I also have DirectX 11 but a different nvidia card and driver.

//EDIT// I am told by the staff in Beijing that the DVDFab crash is related to DXVA acceleration, so try turning that off when using the Direct Show preview option. They are working on it.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes, as mentioned, turning off "DXVA Acceleration" does help. HOWEVER, two things should be noted:

1) DXVA Acceleration is not used with the "Internal" preview (at least you cannot deselect it as it is a child property of DirectShow).

2) DVDFab still hangs frequently (3 out of 5 attempts to preview a title) even with the DXVA Acceleration disabled. When DVDFab hangs like this, it must be ended using "Task Manager" and, therefore, no crash report is created.

It is good to hear that they are working on a solution. Most times I have a problem or feature request, I usually find that there is already a preference to handle it or, in the case of a bug, a fix is made public within a week or so. I have been having this preview problem for several months and each new release seems to indicate that they have fixed it ... or at least, some aspect of the problem.

Comment

Video Previews Still Not Working

Are there any updated threads on this issue? I have had the same problem for months as well (ever since the switch to QT I believe). It makes it extremely difficult to choose the chapters you want to copy and exclude the previews. Sometimes the program crashes, but more often I am simply unable to view previews and have to restart the program (which often causes a crash). I keep waiting for a fix in a new version but the issue persists.

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
              Are there any updated threads...
              I continue to have this problem. As I am sure you are aware:
              • If the "Play selected source automatically" is checked, you can be sure that the program will crash/hang after selecting a title.
              • The internal decoder simply crashes and is completely unusable.
              • If the "Enable DXVA Acceleration" is checked, the preview will crash/hang almost every time.

So, if you do not automatically preview the selected source AND you use DirectShow AND you do NOT use acceleration AND you stop the preview playback before switching titles AND you wait a few seconds after stopping playback before selecting the next title AND you wait a few more seconds before beginning playback on the (next) selected title ... then, you have maybe at best a 25% chance of the program not crashing/hanging.

The latest release (8.1.73) seems to be better than previous versions, but it still crashes a very high percentage of the time.

I would gladly help debug this problem if there is any additional information that I can provide.

Comment

I thought I was the only one still having this preview problem....Have the exact same issues described by Zander and b_sleeth. Problem since first release of v8.xQT, prior versions' preview worked ok.

DVDFab system running WinXP Pro SP3 US; old Dell 4700 with Intel 910GL video. DirectX v9.0c. Never a problem with DVDFab otherwise. System is clean XP install, no trash running. 8GB mem, two 1GB Barracudas, two burners.

I keep DVDFab 8.0.8.5 installed to use the preview function to scope out titles.

Have the same experience with the QT versions....must use DirectShow preview, since Internal is an immediate bomb to desktop. Using DirectShow I can sometimes preview 2 or 3 titles before loosing control of program; also have found as Zander states that stopping the preview before selecting the next title may extend the functionality before locking up.

Has been consistent through all QT Versions.

Comment

I haven't seen an update to this thread in awhile so I thought I'd let the powers that be know that the problem is still being experienced. I am using XP and running the latest 8.1.9.0.

An interesting note. When using internal and selecting a title, before playing, the preview title is blank. On Direct Show, when selecting a title, it shows the title, even before playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X