Default Output Size will not stay set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Output Size will not stay set

For awhile now, I have had no reason to register for the forums until last night (-5:00 EST).

With the New overhaul on the software I have held off on updating, preferring to stay with v8.1.3.8 until I saw the release of v8.1.5.6 which appeared to signal that the New DVDFab had become sable enough to be worth upgrading to.

Well, I have about three boxed sets of Anime which I wanted to backup to hard drive. Plus this makes it easier to stream my disks this way rather than using the physical disks themselves.

Enough of the idle rambling........

Did some of the disks using v8.1.5.6 then I noticed that v8.1.5.8 had been released which of course I immediately upgraded to. Then I proceeded to do the rest of my Anime disks.

I only had two disks left to do when I noticed that under Volume Label, the Default output type was showing as DVD5 and just to the right of it, the Quality was showing that it would be reduced by an amount close to a third less than it's original size.

Now in the Common settings > DVD Copy:

I always keep Default Output Size set to DVD9 so that no matter what size the original recording is, the copy will be approximately the same size (minus any removed material). This doesn't change, it only seems to happen on the program interface.

This is the first time I had seen this happen. So I closed DVDFab then restarted it. It detected the disc in the drive and the Default Output size again went to DVD5.

So I went back and checked the copies I had made to the drive drive and sure enough, every single disk I had done since updating had been ripped as DVD5 - 4.19 GB

One other thing I had noticed while using v8.1.5.6 & v8.1.5.8 is the copying seemed to go slower than usual, some disks slower than others.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Now once I noticed the problem, yeah I was upset cause it meant I had to do these disks all over again. Cause I like to watch these on my big screen TV which is why I prefer to use 1:1 copy ratio to prevent any loss of quality.

I do not like watching films on tiny little screens such as an iPod or other some such when I can just kick back and use a TV or a Projector to do the same.

Guess I'm doing it again....

Rambling on again while trying to describe a problem with the software. Kinda hard not to. Just please have patience with me.

Well, I started over with the same disks, paying close attention to the Default Output Setting. Each and every time it would Automatically Default to DVD5 and I would have to reset it to DVD9 before clicking the Start button.

Needless to say, the process went a whole lot quicker than before and the results come out the correct size instead of being recoded to a smaller size.

One other thing......

I always make sure my disks are clean and free or any scratches or other damage before backing them up to hard drive. One of the things I do use is a motorized SkipDr and I purchase new repair wheels as needed.

Plus I have two optical drives in my system, BlueRay & DVD. I have noticed that some DVD's don't do as well in the BlueRay drive. These disks usually do just fine in the DVD drive as the difference is in the frequency of the Laser which is used to read the disks meaning the drive can make all the difference.

One thing I have noticed this past year which can be a problem is it seem that FUNimation (or maybe their parent company) has been using cheap quality disks lately. I noticed this with my last two boxed sets of Naruto Shipudden as I was lucky to even be able to backup the disks cause of the shoddy disk quality.

Been doing backup disks since 1995 when I got my first Yamaha Burner.

Same problem happening with v8.1.5.9

I even tried completely uninstalling DVDFab, then doing a fresh install using v8.1.5.9 and I'm still having the same problem.

When I load a DVD, the program interface automatically reverts back to DVD5 instead of staying with the DVD9 setting which I had set in the Common Settings and I have to manually change it back to DVD9.

All the previous builds from v8.1.3.8 and earlier used to remember this setting and once set, I never had to touch it again until now.

Comment

Have you checked common settings to see if the default has changed.?

See attachment.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I have checked the common settings and it still shows as DVD9.

This is why I have have said that the program interface has been forgetting the setting.

I have lifetime licenses for DVDFab DVD Copy, DVD Ripper and BlueRay Copy.

Comment

OK I missed your mention of common setting in your second post.

I do not have any other suggestion since that is what is supposed to work.

Comment

Hi ゲゲゲの鬼太郎
            This must be a bug, I have just tested this and it will not stick to DVD9.
            I will alert the staff but it may be awhile before it is fixed, as they are celebrating their New Year.
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thank You!

Hopefully they will find the fix soon.

BTW....

Once I'm able to access my User Control Panel, I'll see about filling in "some" of my information and upload an avatar if possible.

Just so you know, even though I'm from the USA, I deliberately chose a Japanese name just to be the Odd One out and because I'm a Japanese Anime freak. Plus I love all things Japanese.

I'm first generation American and of German decent.

ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 translates to gegege KITARO which is a pretty catchy song once you get it stuck in your head. It's from the Movie KITARO which is really good and it's basically has to do with Yōkai.

Comment

Hi ゲゲゲの鬼太郎
                Your welcome

I translated it earlier when I made my post, and my translation came out to Gegege no Kitaro
                CBR929
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

LOL That sounds about right!

It's been a while since I used a translator to see what ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 actually means.

I just wish there was an easy way to learn to read and write foreign languages without all the confusion. I'd love it if some company could come up with a device (such as in Sci-Fi) where you could just learn years worth of stuff in the matter of minutes.

Well thanks again CBR929, Looking forward to a fix being released!

Comment

I too am having the same problem. I like my DVD settings at DVD9 and it wont stay.

Hopefully a solution will be found soon. Thanks.

Comment

Same Here

I noticed this issue as well (8.1.5.9).

I do "Movie Only" 90% of the time. On the main screen the output size says DVD9 (100% quality). When I click "Next" to get to the 2nd screen that is where it switches to DVD5 and wants to compress. The good news is that I can change it back to DVD9 on the 2nd screen and click start and it will be a DVD9 output with no compression.

I normally don't pay any attention to the info on the 2nd screen. I usually just click Next and then immediately click Start. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have paid attention and gotten an undesired compression.

Comment

Did you change the
                        DVD Copy - Default Output Size to DVD9
                        in the settings?

Doing so should fix your problem I believe

Comment

The DVD5/9 setting in Common Settings will not affect this as that is not the problem.

Also, It does not matter whether one clicks "Next" or what ever.

The Bug has already been confirmed by the Moderators as being present.

Even with the Program open and DVD Copy selected before one inserts a disk, it will still change from DVD9 to DVD5.

The change only happens on the Program Interface, Not in the Common Settings.

We just need to wait patiently for the programmers to get back from celebrating Chinese New Year (or are they back yet?) and for them to release a fix for this problem.

Comment

Having the same DVD5/9 settings retention issue with (8.1.5.9). BTW has anyone noticed whether or not the result is actually DVD9 after a copy? I noticed despite setting it to DVD9 (twice) the contents of the MainMovie folder was still less than the UI stated it would be at DVD9. More like the DVD5 size...

Comment

Originally posted by ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 View Post
                              We just need to wait patiently for the programmers to get back from celebrating Chinese New Year (or are they back yet?) and for them to release a fix for this problem.
                              The schedule will be back to normal on January 30. That is not to say there will be an immediate release for this problem.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X