Double Layer Media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Layer Media?

Any idea what this means? I use the current release of DVD Fab. There are four movies I cannot burn because it says I use a single layer media( my blank disc) and I need to use a double layer media. Any idea what this means? Thanks

I am currently using Memorex DVD-R for my blank discs.

Comment

Make sure the quality setting is DVD-5 and hasn't defaulted to DVD-9:
      Attached Files
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

The paid version of DVDFab will compress a movie so that it will fit on a single layer disc if necessary and if you want it to. Compression reduces the video quality to some degree. A disc with two layers has nearly twice the capacity as a single-layer disc and so does not require compression. If you decide to use the larger capacity discs (dual or double-layer) please use Verbatim brand, they are far more reliable than anything else you can buy. Most of us use the Verbatim +R DL blank media, which is available in most stores or on the internet from web sellers.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for your help. Is the DVD-5 setting a better quality than the DVD-9?
          Also, could you tell me what the main difference is for the DVD-R and DVD+R blank discs is? I never really figured out which blank disc is better. Thanks again. Was that the Verbatim 2.4x DVD +R DL 8.5GB? Thanks
          Last edited by Lidocaine; 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

No, DVD-9 is hgiher quality than DVD-5, since it has more space and can accomodate a higher video bitrate (the same as the original DVD).

Whether to use + or -R depends on your player. In the early days, -R would play on more units, but that is no longer the case. Which Verbatim to choose (the older 2.4X or the newer 8X) depends on the drive you burn them in. The 8X discs are better and faster in newer drives (3 years old or so) and must be burned at at least 4X; they actually produce fewer errors when burned at 6X or 8X in LG drives in my tests. If your drive does not support burning +R DL at a speed of 6X, use the 2.4X discs.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

If I can chime in, never use -R DL for video, they are not intended for video and should be avoided. I prefer +R for both single and double layer blanks because the booktype can be set to DVD-ROM for compatibility in more players, car type and those little portable ones. Some of those are picky.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I agree, getting along with the player is key.

Comment

So I realized my subscription expired and I renewed it for two more years. I had already downloaded version 8.2.1.5 before I renewed. Now I cant find where to put in my registration key after loading up dvdfab. My email says to enter the registration key in the "trial dialog" but I cannot find where that is. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Comment

Just double click the key you were sent.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X