Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the internet connection necessary?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the internet connection necessary?

After installing the 9.0.4.0 version I wondered that an internet connection is necessary to start (!) the program.

Why? Just to check that the copy of DVDFab is valid/licensed?
    I usually use a computer without internet connection for that kind of work, so I can't use that anymore with DVDFab?!

And what if there are some problems with my internet connection (in the beginning of the year I had more than a week no internet because of technical problems of the provider). What if your server is down? Or if you shut down your business in future?

This has been discussed and explained many times in the forum. The connection is necessary to verify and protect the integrity of the DVDFab license system. Without it or something similar people could use the product without supporting the continued work on feature development and decryption updates, at which point it would become useless. It is also necessary to reach the database used for decryption of Blu-rays (and has been for some time even in v8). If your internet is down v9 will revert to HD Decrypter (free) mode and will still decrypt DVDs and write them in DVD-9 size to a HDD folder. While this may cause inconvenience occasionally, most I think prefer it to less frequent or non-existant updates. The internet requirement also has the benefit of not requiring a key file to be downloaded and misplaced. The need for a connection is clearly listed on the website as one of the system requirements.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I am having problems bringing up this new update because its saying dvdfab can not connect to the internet but the interent connection for my computer is working just fine. I then tried to go to the HD Decrypter but it says my free trial has expired but my paid trial doesnt end until the end of the year.. any suggestions on this? I am sorry if this is talked about somewhere else on this forum i am just new and couldnt find anything to help fix this problem i am having.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        This has been discussed and explained many times in the forum. The connection is necessary to verify and protect the integrity of the DVDFab license system. Without it or something similar people could use the product without supporting the continued work on feature development and decryption updates, at which point it would become useless. It is also necessary to reach the database used for decryption of Blu-rays (and has been for some time even in v8). If your internet is down v9 will revert to HD Decrypter (free) mode and will still decrypt DVDs and write them in DVD-9 size to a HDD folder. While this may cause inconvenience occasionally, most I think prefer it to less frequent or non-existant updates. The internet requirement also has the benefit of not requiring a key file to be downloaded and misplaced. The need for a connection is clearly listed on the website as one of the system requirements.
        I also am not very happy about this requirement. It already has caused me problems too and dread to think that every other SW manufacturer would pull the same. Wouldn't be able to do anything anymore without a connection. Think this is actually even more of an incentive for people to hack the license than that it reduces the chance.
        BAD decision! Was almost going to upgrade to the all-in-one package, but I'm happy I saw this post before spending that kind of money.
        Last edited by 90312; 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM. Reason: Edit for language.

Comment

Working...
        X