X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female needs help

Hi,

I've downloaded the trial version of DVDFab and like what it can theoretically do, jsut that I can't make it do it. I've read a lot in this forum already, about best practises etc but still need help. I may have some comparatively fairly easy questions but I hope that makes them easy to answer, too.

I started out with a DVD and used DVD to DVD Full Disk and saved it on my laptop's hard drive. I enden up with an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder. 1. QUESTION: How do I get this version of the movie that is now on my HD to play? None of my programs seem to want to play it. What am I doing wrong?

I then used the DVD to Mobile (PS3) functionality. I used VOB passthrough and also saved this on my HD. I ended up with one file named '***.Title1CD1.vob' which is 4.194.302 KB large and a file '***.Title1.CD2.vob' which is 206.042 KB large. I put this on my USB stick, plugged it into the PS3 and found it on there after using 'display all'. When I started playing the movie it was 'chunky', both the video and the audio. The screen looked like a chessboard and it would be jumpy. When fast forwarding I saw a clear picture, but not when playing the movie. 2. QUESTION: What did I do wrong? Was it when using DVD to DVD or when using DVD to PS3?

I am disappointed that despite my reading up on things I couldn't get it work so far. I want to use DVDFab to put movies on my PS3 but read that I should make a full disk copy first for best practice reasons. Any comments on how to fix the issues I am having or improving the steps I take with DVDFab would be VERY much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Egoli

Download and install VLC Player (It's FREE) and then use the "Play from Folder" option selecting the directory that contains the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subdirectories. This will play as if from the genuine DVD.

Your USB device may have insufficient throughput to play the file smoothly. Copy it to the internal hard disk and try it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks, I downloaded the VLC player and it works. However, when trying to play the full disk copy I had made, I got the same chess-board like screen (see attachment) as when trying to play the VOB file on the PS3. I then made another full disk copy of another DVD to make sure it wasn't just an issue with this particular DVD. Same thing happened again. So at least I now know the issue lies in the first step DVD to Full Disk. When trying to play the full disk file I encounter these problems and consequently, I have the same problem when converting to PS3.

What could I be doing wrong, which settings should I check? My drive is a region 2, the DVDs I used are region 1, could that be a problem? DVD output type is DVD Folder, DVD output size is DVD9, I unticked 'create files in subfolders of output directory'.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Egoli

Comment

Are you saying that when played from the hard disk using VLC, you are getting the same "blockiness"?

If this is the case, it would indicate to me a problem with the drive that you are reading with.

How long is it taking you to rip from the DVD to the hard disk?

What is the specifications of the machine that you are using to do the rip?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sorry, I forgot the attachment. :-)

I am also realising this post is now in the wrong folder and should probably be in the DVD to DVD folder but I don't want to double-post.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I get the same blockiness when using VLC playing from hard disk. I didn't pay close attention but think it took about 2 hours to rip or so. It only took about 10 min to do the DVD (Full Disk) to Mobile (PS3) conversion.

It's a Sony Vaio Laptop and when I googled it I found this site listing the specs.

Comment

Also, make sure that you have the latest beta version, 6.1.2.6. Link in my sig below.

Comment

It should only take about 10-20 mins to rip to the hard disk.

The VOB passthrough for the PS3 sounds about right.

It certainly now sounds like your DVD reader is not performing properly. The machine specs suggest that it should be able to handle what you are trying to do fine although most of us old hands here will never use a portable for Fab processes because most cannot dissipate the heat caused by the workload, especially burning DVD's.

Suggestions:-
                1. Blow out DVD drive with compressed air. You can also use a bicycle pump.
                2. Inspect and clean/polish the dvd's that you are attempting to rip.
                3. Have a read through answers to common questions and carry out the "Reset DMA" instructions posted by MAINEMAN.
                4. See if a friend has and external USB DVD drive that you can borrow and attempt a hard disk rip from that.

Comment

Another suggestion, download and run VSO Inspector.

Comment

Originally posted by Egoli View Post
                    When I started playing the movie it was 'chunky', both the video and the audio. The screen looked like a chessboard and it would be jumpy
                    What could I be doing wrong, which settings should I check? My drive is a region 2, the DVDs I used are region 1, could that be a problem? DVD output type is DVD Folder, DVD output size is DVD9, I unticked 'create files in subfolders of output directory'.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Egoli
                    DVDFab does not convert PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL format. The DVDs are region 1 but the drive is region 2 so would that mean your PS3 is region 2 or region 1? Because if it region 2 then you probably get the chunky, pixalated picture because it only plays PAL format being region 2 is PAL and not NTSC like region 1 DVDs or DVD players

Comment

@AGJ: I run into this problem already when trying to play the movie from the harddrive with the VLC player. I understand what you were saying regarding the NTSC/PAL problem, but wouldn't this only kick in when I try playing the NTSC movie from the PAL PS3? Or would it also explain why I can't play it on my laptop? (I have a European laptop, jsut don't know if the PAL/NTSC thing is even relevant for laptop playback.

@GregiBoy: Working on your suggestions.

Thanks for the help,

Egoli

Comment

Originally posted by Egoli View Post
                        @AGJ: I run into this problem already when trying to play the movie from the harddrive with the VLC player. I understand what you were saying regarding the NTSC/PAL problem, but wouldn't this only kick in when I try playing the NTSC movie from the PAL PS3? Or would it also explain why I can't play it on my laptop? (I have a European laptop, jsut don't know if the PAL/NTSC thing is even relevant for laptop playback.

@GregiBoy: Working on your suggestions.

Thanks for the help,

Egoli
                        that a good question as I no longer have any region 2 PAL format DVDs laying around to give that a try but do think that could be the problem but wait for GregiBoy or someone else to chime in on that.

Comment

@AGJ: No, it doesn't seem to be the problem. I found a region-free NTSC DVD and it plays just fine on my laptop. Meaning there must be a different reason why the 2 NTSC movies I ripped to hard drive are not playing properly.

I agree though it could become a problem if I were to try and play an NTSC movie on the PS3, but that's a different problem from the one I am having right now.

Comment

Is it just one DVD that is Chunky or is it all DVDs that you have done?

Comment

Hi Egoli,

Were you able to do any of the troubleshooting steps that GregiBoy listed in his last post?

What OS are you using? (sorry if I missed that in your posts).
                              Have you ever successfully ripped a dvd with this drive...say with software other than Fab?

Please check the DMA status of your burner and please post the make/model.
                              There is a Reset DMA button in Fab > Common Settings > General.
                              (There is more info on DMA, etc., in my Tips link...in my sig below).

If this doesn't resolve your issue, you may just want to uninstall your burner in device manager.
                              When you reboot, windows will reinistall the burner and assign the appropriate drivers.

As GregiBoy said, there's no way that a rip should be taking anything like 2 hours.
                              We definitely need more info.
                              Thanks.
                              Last edited by maineman; 12-27-2009, 02:14 PM.
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X