The new automatic updating function of the program package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new automatic updating function of the program package

Not sure how it should work, but I can't get it to work.

You start the program (ver 9052) and it tells you that there is a later version (9055) and if you want to get it. You klick on the Update now button and it starts to download.

When the download is done -this pop up download window disappears - so what should you do now?

So I manually searched for this downloaded file in Windows Explorer and found it in this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 9\temp

and it seems it's twice as big as the one you manually download from the DVDFab home page.

The manually one is 20 493 KB in size - the one the downloader downloaded is 44 932 KB in size. Why the size difference?

And what's more - it wont run. It tells you that this version of the program is not compatible with the Windows version you run and you might need a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the program.

So I don't really understand if this update function works as intended. Shouldn't it kick in the installer once it's downlaoded?

Deleted the corrupt file and gave it a new try. This time it downloaded a functional file.

But shouldn't this installation file be started automatically when the download is done? How many users know where to find this downloaded file and then run it?

Comment

Some of the downloads of 9055 are corrupt and were very slow to start, so the auto-update may have had trouble coping with that. The MD5 for 9055 is 4be2fc58d0c585c864fc5b8cb45c222f check it if it does not run or install correctly.

Your point about the download file location and auto-starting it is well taken I think.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        Some of the downloads of 9055 are corrupt and were very slow to start, so the auto-update may have had trouble coping with that. The MD5 for 9055 is 4be2fc58d0c585c864fc5b8cb45c222f check it if it does not run or install correctly.

Your point about the download file location and auto-starting it is well taken I think.
        Seems to me that the updater continues from the last point if the download was halted due to download error.

Still not sure why this file is more than double so big in size than the one you get from the DVDFab home page.

Also think that there should be some built in check to see if the downloaded file from this automatic installer is corrupt or not and then ask the user to re download it.

Comment

Disable the auto update

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
          Not sure how it should work, but I can't get it to work.
          With all due respect, and not meaning to hijack this thread, but is there any way to actually disable the automatic update check in V9 as we could in V8?

Comment

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
            But shouldn't this installation file be started automatically when the download is done? How many users know where to find this downloaded file and then run it?
            The automatic updater seems to work nice now.

Comment

I used it yesterday it worked great

Comment

Working...
              X