Ripping DVDs made with Panny DMR-E80H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripping DVDs made with Panny DMR-E80H

In the '00s I made a lot of digital in-car racing videos using a camera that saved to Mini-DV tapes. Since I didn't have the capability at the time of saving those large AVIs I instead transferred them via analog to physical DVD using a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD burner.

I'd like to copy these back to digital format, but DVDFab seems to not like the discs. I can play these discs on any DVD player and on PCs (either Windows or Mac) but each time I try to copy them using DVDFab it bails out early and creates 0-byte files. Same thing happens when I try to rip them to AVI. I've tried this with various versions over the last 6-8 months, latest being 9.0.5.5.

I know this is not within the scope of DVDFab, but is there someplace I could upload one of these discs and have someone take a peek, see if this can be easily fixed?

Thanks,

Greg

The Panasonic may not have made DVD-Video compliant files. The disc should contain a VIDEO_TS folder (possibly inside of another folder) that contains IFO, BUP and VOB files. You can check the VOB files with MediaInfo, a free tool (google it).
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

And you could concatenate (join) the VOB's together using MKVToolnix (Free download) and then use Fab's converter module to transcode the resultant MKV.

I think a better option would be to convert from the original source though.

Why you would want to go to AVI beats me though. MKV is a far better solution these days.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        The Panasonic may not have made DVD-Video compliant files. The disc should contain a VIDEO_TS folder...
        Nope, it did all that. VIDEO_TS, files, all that. That's why I'm a bit perplexed why DVD Fab can't understand it.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        And you could concatenate (join) the VOB's together using MKVToolnix (Free download)..
        Thanks, I'll look into that.

I think a better option would be to convert from the original source though.
        Long gone, unfortunately. I ran 8-12 event weekends per year, roughly 10-12 years before I got into a GoPro, only so many tapes available to archive the stuff. Most tapes were copied to the Panny, then to physical DVD, and then over-written.

Why you would want to go to AVI beats me though.
        'Cause the standard for digital tape camcorders in the late-90s/early-aughts was AVI. - GA

Comment

Might be that the recorder is not finalizing the recorded DVD and that's why DVDFab not like the disc.

You should be able to check this if you put the DVD in a computer DVD reader and run ImgBurn in Read mode and look in the right side panel with the disc info table.

Comment

Says they play on PCs and standalones.

We really need to see the DVDFab internal log sesion from one of the failures using v9.0.5.5 or 9.0.5.8.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

No prob; I'm on 9.0.5.5. The log is real simple and small:

1m 56.97s: DVD Copy
              1m 56.97s: Source: Z:/
              1m 56.97s: SourceSize: 1032 MB
              1m 56.97s: OutputSize: 8100 MB

That's it. Nothing else.

When I'm trying to copy the disc, the following is in the right-side summary:

Thanks!

Comment

Hi GregAmy
                Please try the latest beta found here http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB9_BETA

Also try turning off path player in Fab settings to see if you get different results, remember to turn it back on to always enabled.
                CBR929

You may also try downloading ImgBurn and making a copy since there will be no protection on the disc.
                Last edited by CBR929; 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM. Reason: Text
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks. Beta version made no difference, nor did using IMGBurn to create a BIN and use DVDFab from there.

Can you explain "turning off path player" in settings? I don't see anything obvious.

- Greg

Comment

It is in DVDFab settings, the little gear icon in the upper right of the window. Also try Main Movie or Customize instead of Full Disc.

Comment

Originally posted by GregAmy View Post
                      Thanks. Beta version made no difference, nor did using IMGBurn to create a BIN and use DVDFab from there.

Can you explain "turning off path player" in settings? I don't see anything obvious.

- Greg
                      If it created a .bin file - I doubt that it's seen as a DVD Movie compliant disc.

What happens if you use Windows Explorer to copy the contents from the disc to a VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD - can it then be opened up in DVDFab.

Comment

Thanks. I understand where the Settings are, I just can't seem to find where those specific setting are within the Settings?

- GA

Comment

Working...
                        X