Poor Video Quality & Pixelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Video Quality & Pixelation

I'm having trouble ripping my DVD copy of The American President. It's the first time I've come across this type of issue. I've used VLC media player as the referee. The DVD plays fine with crisp lines and edges. The mp4.h264.ac3 video file has a lot of pixelation on sharp edges and the overall quality looks poor. This happens when I rip directly from DVD, or, when I copy the DVD to hard drive with VOB files and rip it there. Playing the DVD image on the hard drive with VLC plays without fault, so it seems to point to the DVD Ripper. I attached the log file. Any ideas?

Dell Inspiron i17R Laptop, Win 8 64-bit, Intel i5 2.5GHz cpu, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000
    using internal DVD Drive
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NewtyInNY; 09-27-2013, 01:48 AM. Reason: Additional Data

This is apparently a TV show or series with interlaced (broadcast-type) NTSC video. You chose to remux the subs, which is OK and retain the AC3 audio, which make the file much larger. I would suggest trying it with a different profile (like mp4+h264+aac) and be sure there is a check in the Deinterlace box shown in the screen capture (DVDFab should check it for you automatically). Try setting the video quality control for a higher value also, and turn off all the GPU acceleration in Common Settings->A/V Codec.
    Attached Files
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Okay, so I did all the things suggested but the image quality was the same and a voice sync problem crept in. I went back and set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and disabled the zoom and automatic crop hoping to minimize any translation effects. The picture size and letterbox were exactly like the original DVD but the image quality was still poor when compared to the DVD.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'll try. A sampling of reviews say that the transfer to DVD for this film was poor - it's the 1999 disc. There is a 2012 transfer to blu-ray. I'll keep my eye on Walmart's bargain bin and web prices. If it drops below $7.99, I'll try the blu-ray edition.

Comment

Many older TV shows look really poor, even from the original disc. Post in the Ripper forum next time for problems using the Ripper module.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
        X