Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few questions and best quality for DVD to DVD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions and best quality for DVD to DVD?

I am new to DVDFab as I have be trying out DVDClone and well I don't know what's better but now DVDFab has got me into trying it.

I notice when playing a DVD I purchased a while back starting acting up due to scratches, etc. and I now would like to make a back up copy.

Yes I did read the FAQ, tutorials and help tabs.

I inserted the DVD and I DO NOT want full disc as previews, extras, warnings are useless to me and I prefer quality instead. I noticed Main Movie and Customize are more for what im looking to do.
    If I used customize, I understand that I can take away or add audio, etc. files. still keep the main movie. When I click Main Movie, it automatically keeps the proper audio file and main movie.
    So between customize and main movie, is there a difference in quality or is one option better then the other? (I do keep an eye on movie quality and keep it as high % as possible)

So basically what would be the best option for me to....

1. Keep only the main movie
    2. Rip warnings, extras, etc.
    3. Keep AC-3 (5.1 Audio) English
    4. Insert DVD in DVD player and Menu first loads
    5. and of course get the best quality!

One other question is...

Does it really matter if I burn the DVD with DVDFab (Usually 4x Verbatim) or with IMGBurn?? (I seen the guide of how to setup DVDFab with IMGBurn)
    I didn't think made much a difference, just make sure proper speeds and discs.

Thank you

IMO from what I have done, here is some answers.

1. If you are making a back up. Main movie is probably all you need. I have never watched the directors comments anyhow.

2. Why would you want to? If you want to watch a warning, play your original.

3. Sure keep it as long as your set up plays it.

4. Menu's to me are a waste on Backups.

5. The right set up of dvd fab and imgbrn you will get the best quality.

But I would like to ad a few other points that will help give the best quality.

1. ***Always back up your DVD's immediately***** The better your master copy is the better your back up is. ( My store bought dvd's never hit my dvd player.)

2. MEDIA is important. If you are willing to invest the time in to backing up your dvd's. Why not invest in what they are backed up on. The difference between a cheapo blank and a good Verbatim blank are worth it.

3. Write speeds are important too. Sounds silly but I look at the quality of the ripped side on my blank. I always use 2.0 on my Verbatim DVD+R D/L's and 4.0 on my Verbatim DVD+R's.

4. I do not compress any of my main movie files. I do trim off sound tracks (different language), but after you trim th fat, if it calls for a dvd 9 or dvd 5 the I use the necessary blanks dvd accordingly. I notice the difference when playing back on my LCD tv.

5. And finally use IMGBRN to rip.

Comment

There are some differences between Main Movie and Customize. Generally, they are:
      1) Main Movie always removes the menus, previews, extras and FBI warnings. It only allows you to select one Title.
      2) Customize gives you the option to keep the menus or remove them and to keep any of the extras that you might want (select multiple Titles).
      3) Main Movie will generally have a higher Quality rating since the menus are removed and there are more bits available for the movie content.

DVDFab can often read a badly scratched disc and produce a clean copy. It will take longer to process and you may need to increase the number of retries in Common Settings->Read.

Originally posted by lilskaterpunk View Post
      I am new to DVDFab as I have be trying out DVDClone and well I don't know what's better but now DVDFab has got me into trying it.

I notice when playing a DVD I purchased a while back starting acting up due to scratches, etc. and I now would like to make a back up copy.

Yes I did read the FAQ, tutorials and help tabs.

I inserted the DVD and I DO NOT want full disc as previews, extras, warnings are useless to me and I prefer quality instead. I noticed Main Movie and Customize are more for what im looking to do.
      If I used customize, I understand that I can take away or add audio, etc. files. still keep the main movie. When I click Main Movie, it automatically keeps the proper audio file and main movie.
      So between customize and main movie, is there a difference in quality or is one option better then the other? (I do keep an eye on movie quality and keep it as high % as possible)

So basically what would be the best option for me to....

1. Keep only the main movie
      2. Rip warnings, extras, etc.
      3. Keep AC-3 (5.1 Audio) English
      4. Insert DVD in DVD player and Menu first loads
      5. and of course get the best quality!

One other question is...

Does it really matter if I burn the DVD with DVDFab (Usually 4x Verbatim) or with IMGBurn?? (I seen the guide of how to setup DVDFab with IMGBurn)
      I didn't think made much a difference, just make sure proper speeds and discs.

Thank you
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies!

Well I think Customize is going to be the best option for me as I prefer to keep my menu and still be able to rip out the useless warnings and extras.
        So how does this sound...

Im using the latest version of DVDFab v6.2.1.8 and once I insert disc, I am converting the DVD down to a DVD5. I would click on Customize, check the main movie (Usually title 1 but can vary as I read in a post), choose the audio's I prefer (Only English) and subtitle, maybe keep english as it does not effect quality much. Once done that I can continue and this is were I have another question. I have enabled Navigation (PathPlayer) and I will choose to click the remove annoying warnings but as for change playback order, do I need to click that to turn on and choose between the 2 options?
        I did read here http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php...ToDVDCustomize
        But im still lost as of how to make the DVD turn out so once I insert my backup into a standalone DVD player, the DVD should have no warnings, etc. and should start right at the DVD menu, allowing my to choose play movie. What option is that? or do I not even bother to check the box and it should be good?

Now once Im all done the steps above, my quality should be at the highest it can due to shrinking down to DVD5 but I just thought i'd ask if I missed a option to help improve?

Then I will continue with DVDFab and for burning/rip the DVD to disc, I would use IMGBurn. U guys recommend me following this setup for IMGBurn http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=562 and of course burn with a slower speed using a good brand DVD

I hope this makes sense lol

Comment

A few thoughts re: your last post...

I use Customize almost exclusively when ripping to dvd5.
          Like you, usually this means the main title, the preferred audio track and English subtitles. Often, this is the same as Main movie mode.

There is no point in retaining the menu if the disc is configured as above.
          If however, you have selected additional special features, an alternate ending, etc., etc., then the menu will have a function.
          The menu is also useful when rippping tv series discs.

There is no point in using the advanced features of PathPlayer...again, unless you have selected additional video content other than the main title.

You also don't want to burn too slowly.
          Years ago, the phrase "speed kills" had its relevance, but it is no longer one-sided.
          You can predispose burn errors by burning at an inappropriate speed period....too fast or too slow.

For eg., with modern burners and media...let's take the ubiquitous verbatim +R 16 X.
          You don't want to burn these at 2 or 4X, especially with today's burners.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Sorry,

I also meant to add that you should tick on
            Remove annoying PGCs (like FBI warnings).
            You will need PP enabled for this (I just never considered this "advanced" since it's been a feature of Fab from the beginning).

BTW, this won't always work.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
            X