No announcement yet.

DVDFab stays running, locks up machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send us a fresh set of internal and fabcheck logs being you updated bios and motherboard drivers also if you decide to update the drives firmware one of them is 2 versions out of date.It's not good to leave the virus software off for more than a few mins.
    Please tell us if it's bit defender or not.
    .....Bitdefender Internet Security...

for some reason it interferes with fabcore.exe so that it keeps increasing in memory usage untill it caps at a certain level and then stalls....no need to uninstall Bitdefender though..... just go into settings/Exclusions/Excluded Processes and add dvdfab.exe and fabcore.exe....
    Last edited by glenns; 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Hi glenns,

Both drives are internal SATA drives.

I just checked for the firmware updates. Looking at the HP GH40L, the latest firmware from HP was already applied though the release date for it was 03-03-2010.

I did find something interesting though. When attempting to update the firmware for the DH48C2S drive to the latest version the application while running never produced the upgrade box. Using this logic I am going to remove that drive and see if this drive is the culprit. I will reply when I have that done and let you know the outcome.

Also for AV I have been using the latest version of Avast. Normally I would have it running full time but I wanted to rule out any involvement in this issue. I have since replaced the AV and run a full scan.

Comment

Also I just wanted to say thanks again everyone for your help in troubleshooting this issue.

Comment

glenns,

I ran a virus scan and it came back clean. I removed the DVD drive that would not update. With that one removed DVDFab when loaded would now recognize the drive. Unfortunately even though the drive was recognized if I attempted to insert a disc while the program was running or if I attempted to use the Autoplay command it would again hang and lock up the explorer process.

I then swapped out the drive (GH40L) for another drive, but unfortunately the only other replacement was another DH48C2S drive. I am checking to see if there is another DVD drive I can use as a test. If that fails then I will have to look at re-imaging the machine.

Comment

Here are the latest logs. I have also attempted to install and test version 8, but it too had the same issue.
            Attached Files

Comment

Run MR FIX IT from Microsoft it cures many dvd drive problems free and will do no harm.http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd...rive_problems/

This MR FIX IT is for when uninstalling programs on 64 bit systems programs that don't install or uninstall correctly so if the first fix don't work try this one after deleting Fab run this then reinstall a fresh copy of Fab from the front page.I think it does the same as cc cleaner but maybe worth a shot.
              The Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter helps you automatically repair issues when you're blocked from installing or removing programs.

Do you have a usb input? Maybe you can borrow a friends drive just to see if it's that or go buy one if it don't work return it.
              Here is a link for some other dvd drive free fix it programs http://www.ehow.com/how_4680114_driv...s-scripts.html
              Last edited by glenns; 07-06-2014, 04:19 AM.

Comment

I did a forum search and came up with a couple things for you to try.

1. Try Uninstalling the adk runtime

2. Try turning off Internal preview from within dvdfab common settings as that seems to have caused crashing and hanging about 3 years ago with version 8

Comment

Thanks everyone for their input. This week at work has been crazy so I plan on working on this some more this weekend. I will update everyone when I finish with these suggestions.

Comment

I think we have success

All,

So finally this evening I was able to spend some time on this. So I did the following:

1. I totally uninstall AnyDVD from the system and deleted all of folders and associated files.

2. The system also had CloneCD. I disabled the autoplay features for that software and made sure the "Lock drive" option was disabled.

3. Totally uninstalled DVDFab 8 and 9. Removed all folders and files associated from all profiles.

4. Ran CCLeaner and removed all remaining registry values from the registry for these removed programs.

5. Found an application called DriverBooster which was reviewed on GHacks. Tested it on the system and it found several drivers were severely out of date even though I had the latest from Dell (go figure...) Updated all of the drivers.

6. Rebooted the PC several times to finish installations, then downloaded and installed the latest version of DVDFab from the dvdfab.cn website. Installed and rebooted.

7. After the reboot I launched the app and with a DVD in the drive, the application immediately found, read and presented the option to copy. I attempted the copy and it copied the disc.

I was not able to test the burning function as the DVD/R drive had been removed for testing. This will be put in again tomorrow, but at this point I am pretty confident that this will now work as expected.

I wish I could directly pinpoint exactly what may have fixed this issue, but doing all of the above steps before testing makes it a bit tough to say what the root solution was concisely.

At any rate, I will place (what I hope to be) one last update after this with the final results.
                    Thanks everyone for all of your help on this.

Comment

AnyDVD should not be a problem if it is not running. I have it installed also but never had an issue with DVDFab or Passkey unless it was enabled. I have a license for Clone CD but have never installed it, so not much I can add there.

If this ever happens again, install ImgBurn (free) and from the menu select Tools->Filter Driver Load Order and click on the Copy to Clipboard button and paste it into a post. It can help identify many drive access problems.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X