DVDs with too many very large files and slow copying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDs with too many very large files and slow copying

I've had my second experience in a week of DVDs with what appear to be far too many gigabyte files which cause DVDfab to slow down and eventually give up. I don't know whether this is just weird disc production or whether it's a new form of copy protection.

I'm not ripping or converting these discs, just doing straight copies onto a hard drive. I've done hundreds of these copies in the past without any difficulties so i don't know what's going on here. They are both Region 2 discs.

The DVDs giving me problems are RESTLESS (a single feature film, originally from the BBC but the DVD is by Metrodome) which has about 20 of these files- I gave up on copying this disc, it's available in HD free on YouTube anyway.

The other one is from the Wallander Swedish TV series, distributed with English subtitles by Arrow Films. I've copied series 1 to 3 without incident but now I'm on series 4 disc 1 (which contains just two films) and once again I have these multiple large files which start out copying fine but then grind to a near halt. There are 9 of these files, all named VTS_02_n.VOB where 0<=n<=8. File 0 is a mere 25Mb, and file 8 is about 500Mb, but all the others are over 1GB - and all vary in size by just a few bytes. When i tried doing a direct copy, rather than using DVDfab, files 0 and 1 copied across okay in a few minutes but file 2 took nearly an hour. Files 3, 4 and 5 were good, 4 minutes each, file 6 again started well but then dropped off and took 45 minutes, Files 7 and 8 are grinding along agonisingly slowly as I type.

I'm doing the copying from the DVD drive on an HP laptop via a wired thin ethernet network onto a Seagate 4Tb drive which is plugged into a WDTV Live, also connected via wire to the network. Other DVDs have copied without any problems over this setup, including series 3 of the Wallander films.

I confirm that I only make copies of DVDs I have purchased and indeed still own. I transfer them to hard drive to make them accessible for my disabled partner who can't leap up and down to change discs in a DVD player. I would love to buy legal downloads but English language versions don't appear to be accessible in our part of the world.

Please would someone advise me what to do should I encounter the problem again.
    Last edited by peebee; 10-19-2014, 08:18 PM. Reason: Additional possibly relevant information

How do you make the determination that there are too many of these large files? For instance, attached is the file list from a single layer DVD-Video disc of a movie, which shows several 1 GB (1,048,574 KB) VOB files that contain the video of the main movie. TV series discs may have several groups of these VOB files. Is this what you are seeing? If so, it may be normal.
    Attached Files
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

On the Restless DVD there are 98 .VOB files measuring 1048574 KB and 17 measuring 939678. I've never seen anything like it - I'm not even sure how they managed to fit them all on one DVD! DVDfab couldn't even analyse this disc, let alone start copying it.

With the Wallander DVD I think there must be a problem with the disc itself as the other ones in the box set copy without difficulty.

Comment

They are not really all there, it is a form of copy protection which DVDFab can normally remove. They may be present on the original disc but should not appear in the output of a registered (paid) version of DVDFab. The free HD Decrypter version can't remove some new type protections, and PathPlayer must be set to Always Enable in either case (free or paid).
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
        X