Super slow ripping performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super slow ripping performance

I recently acquired an ancient Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop and decided to tinker around with it to make it capable of burning backup DVDs.

Current Hardware specs:
    Celeron 2.6 Ghz
    1gb Ram
    XP Home SP3, fresh install
    TSST Corp (Toshiba/Samsung) 8x DVD burner w/DE04 firmware update (factory reader was H-L GDR-8082N)
    DVDFab 9.1.7.1 (Registered, not trial)

Situation:

When I first got the machine I decided to attempt to rip a DVD with the factory reader just to see what would happen. The read performance was SUPER bad, like around 1mb/s or less (FWIW, it was Disc 1 of the Back To The Future trillogy, which is a DL disc) and DVDFab was reporting like 2-3 hours for a rip. Just for kicks I attempted to just copy the DVD folders using Windows explorer and it took about 30 minutes, which is about what I expected. Knowing that I wanted a burner in it anyhow I didn't worry about it to much and moved on.

Yesterday I installed the burner and my result was exactly the same. However, this time I decided to pull out an old single layer movie that had no copy protection (FWIW, Night Of The Demon) and let DVD Shrink try to rip it. DVD Shrink ripped it as an ISO in 8 minutes. ImgBurn later on burned it at around 4-5x with MCC-004-000 (Verbatim branded) media, which I've been using for like 8 years, and everything was fine.

FWIW, my desktop machine with the same version of DVDFab can rip both of those movies at typical rates for its hardware.

The controller is set properly for DMA and all of that good stuff and everything seems to run at speeds I would expect or a slimline IDE laptop drive EXCEPT DVDFab. Later on today I'm going to slap a single core P4 2.8Ghz in it, but I don't expect much of a change based on that alone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the slow processor is struggling with compression. The single layer attempt didn't require compression. To see if that's the issue copy a movie to DVD-9, use the hard drive as the target if you don't have blank media.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      Sounds like the slow processor is struggling with compression. The single layer attempt didn't require compression. To see if that's the issue copy a movie to DVD-9, use the hard drive as the target if you don't have blank media.
      All attempts to rip have been DVD-9 with no compression. I forgot to mention that.

Comment

P4 installed. Ripping COPY of "Night Of The Demon" (for test purposes only) so absolutely no compression, copy protection, or anything else going on and this drive burned the disc.

No change. Still super slow (1.4mb/s max). CPU use 90-100% 250mb physical ram available

With DVDShrink:
        5mb/s, CPU use 15%, 326mb physical ram available...

Something odd is going on with Fab... I wouldn't think that it should be eating 100% of the CPU simply transferring data.

Comment

That's not much RAM memory, it may be using the HDD as RAM and that will gum up the works. Can you check the HDD activity during the process.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Page File use is 900mb and didn't change at all when I started the rip. The hard drive light is flashing, but nothing I wouldn't expect. XP is set to automatically manage the page file size and has it set to 1.5gb.

Outside of that information, I don't have any utilities or anything that I can monitor hard drive use with other than the page file data that XP lets me see. Can you direct me to one?

Also, not that its setting the world on fire with blazing speed, I did upgrade the hard drive to a 5400rpm drive from the 4200rpm drive it shipped with. I also fully defragged the drive and it has about 45gb free (it's only a 60gb drive).

Comment

No one has an additional suggestions?

Do the author's participate in the forum or do I need to email for more complex support issues?

Comment

They do, but they are unlikely to be able to help you. DVDFab v9 uses the Qt development platform and the GUI therefore uses more resources than older versions and other products. Check your CPU to see if it supports the SSE2 instruction set. No offense, but I think your PC is marginal for what you are trying to do. You can email support if you have a licensed copy of DVDFab.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

P4 processors support SSE2. In fact they introduced it to the market.

No offense taken, but I have used v9 with FAR less hardware (Athon 1800, 1gb ram, XP) than this P4 box with fine results. Something is up somewhere and it's not lack of hardware horsepower. v8 runs like a scalded dog on this thing and takes like 15% of the processor.

I have been a "lifetime" customer for years. I will email for addition support. Thank you for the help.

I will update this thread if any solution is found so others may benefit from it in the future.

Comment

Not a complex problem you don't have enough RAM to run efficiently.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Upgrading to 2gb is on my agenda, but I don't believe the issue is that cut and dry.

I'll update the thread again when I do stick another gb in it as well as any resolution I may receive via email from support.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                        Not a complex problem you don't have enough RAM to run efficiently.
                        This won't answer the OP's question but I agree based on my experiences with DVDFab 8x.

I do all my burns on my built Desktop PC:

CPU: i5-650 Dual Core 3.20 GHz
                        HDD: Seagate 7200RPM Sata 3

RAM:

I started out with 4 Gb. I upgraded to 8 Gb about 2 years later. DVDFab was running ok but the PC was always slow for the first 1-2 minutes or so at the beginning of the burn/write process, with the internal DVDFab burn engine or using Imgburn.

I installed another 8Gb RAM early in the year and since then there's no slowdown of the PC at any time during DVDFab's processes.

I was skeptical when someone told me that upgrading from 8Gb to 16Gb RAM would be noticeable on my PC, since I'm not a PC gamer and mainly use basic functions, browse, Outlook, etc.

Running with 16Gb has definitely been an improvement in overall PC performance.

Comment

I have been working with email support to resolve this issue.

So far, I've tried resetting DMA using ImgBurn (their suggestion) and have sent detailed information about the PC and logs.

No progress yet and I'm still seeking answers. Additional ram should be here in a day or two.

Comment

2gb of ram installed and now running v9.1.7.6

Exactly the same result... 100% CPU utilization (with no compression, just a copy), but now Windows is reporting 1.5gb of available system ram. Page file use is around 500mb.

This is looking more and more like a software bug inherent with v9 to me. The hardware runs perfectly with v8, and for that matter, any other day-to-day type application. It even steams HD video.

Comment

This is looking more and more like a software bug inherent with v9 to me.
                              If that were the case, you would not be the only one reporting it. Problems that can't be duplicated are a difficult fix.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X