Fails to reduce large ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fails to reduce large ISO

Copy fulldisk of a large ISO (some 7 Gb).
    I specify DVD5, and DVDFab indicates compression ratio will be 55% 7806MB to 4300MB, then goes through the motions of creating the intermediate file, but when turned over to ImgBurn, IB complains that the file will not fit on the mounted DVD, being (still) at 7+Gb.

This also failed with the previous version; now using 9.1.4.5.

Further info

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    HP ProBook 4540s
    16 GB RAM

Comment

I can't duplicate this, I have DVD5 set to 4464MB and this is exactly what I got. I used ImgBurn to make the ISO in Build mode. Please list the steps you took and post the internal log session from the compression step in the process.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I used Fab to make a DVD-9 ISO then took it down to DVD-5 and it worked fine. Maybe a clean uninstall is in order.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

internal log file

OK, I have attached relevant log files.

Yes, DVDFab says output will be DVD5 4300 MB
          Yes, ImgBurn says result image is 8186 MB, which of course will not fit on my DVD.

BTW: This is a recent upgrade of DVDFab, which I assume satisfies the call for a "clean install".
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dav4is; 11-13-2014, 07:36 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

An experiment

I tried mounting that original ISO on one of those virtual DVD thingies (Daemon). It was successfully mounted and viewable, with all its VOB etc files. Using this as input to DVDF produces the same result as above.

Yet, starting with a real dual-layer DVD is successful.

Comment

Did you make the ISO that you started with using DVDFab?
              The logs indicate that you may have been using Write Data mode in DVDFab, which does not compress. You would need to use a different mode (Full Disc, Main Movie, Customize) and instruct DVDFab to write the output to a DVD-5 size and burn it with ImgBurn or write it to a HDD folder and check the size, then let ImgBurn make the ISO and burn it.

Don't use virtual drives with DVDFab sources, they are not necessary.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

No, it was from ISOpuzzle, successful recovery of a damaged disk.

I'm pretty sure that I was using Fulldisk or Mainmovie, But I'll try again.

re virtual disk: It was an experiment.

Comment

yes, fulldisk -- with same result.

BTW: log file posted previously indicates fulldisk:
                  14m 25.89s: Work manager: create DVD fulldisc work 0 with source 0 and uiinfo 0.

Comment

Trouble found, analysis
                    1. I must have been dreaming when I thought I ran my player (VLC) against the ISO mounted on a virtual disk, because I could not duplicate that now.
                    2. This seems to be a copy protection problem. DVDfab does not seem to be able to handle a copy protected ISO file -- as may be the case when ISOpuzzle recovers a damaged DVD.
                    3. Should it?
                    4. Mounting the original ISO file on a virtual drive, then using DVD decrypter to produce the normal VOB etc files, DVDfab successfully reduces them to DVD5 size, hands them off to ImgBurn, which burns them onto disk.

WHEW!

It would be so much easier if DVDFab could decrypt directly from the ISO file!
                    Last edited by dav4is; 11-14-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I have uploaded the problem ISO file as instructed.

Comment

Working...
                      X